111 replies to this topic

#41 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,959 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 20 July 2022 - 02:35 AM

I'm with Monte.  Heck, even a KOA campground for "luxury" accommodations is OK for a night or two.  Regroup as needed and then head out for a week or more before hitting a KOA or motel.

#42 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 July 2022 - 03:02 AM

If I was planning a trip as you describe, I'd drop the idea of renting a house. For a "rest" from the road, I would get a nice motel room for a night or two. We'd resupply with groceries, do laundry, a long shower, and go out for a romantic special dinner. For us, that would be our only touch of civilization.

Now, to be honest, I've never been able to talk Julie into this. She prefers the camper always.

I have not been able to talk my lovely wife into a motel night since we got the camper. Romantic dinner? What could be more romantic than watching the stars after enjoying a 'loaded' wedge salad and some chocolate then daring the desert cold to get us while under our Pendleton wool blankets? The stars, yes the stars. Then getting whupped at scrabble (she is also a retired k-8 teacher, which gives her an unfair advantage!)

Back to Rob's plan. An important consideration, kind of inescapable, is the great stretches of empty between places. For example, we have gone into Pahrump for groceries, laundry and gas, but don't want to stay there overnight -- so we drive another hour or so to soak in the hot springs at Tecopa (developed, but not fancy) and then jet into Death Valley, get at least a mile off pavement, in a place like Greenwater Valley (not green, no water) then pull over and make dinner, spend the night, get up and make coffee, eat a cup of museli, before going someplace more interesting. 

In general, most places you can stock up on water, food, gas and do laundry are not wonderful places to overnight.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#43 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 July 2022 - 12:32 PM

Seems like I will have to wrap my head around the idea that it is possible to find a remote spot and camp... A concept hard to grasp in these NE parts. I better book up on quality topo maps both iPad off line (I have my own GPS unit to link to) and paper. Like tools, never pass up an opportunity/excuse to get more! I know traveling with a dog can crimp some plans and complicate some places to visit but I am a dog nut and can't imagine her not with us. Appreciate everyones opinion. Not booking a place as a base would sure save a lot of money as well... so we can splurge on food more! 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#44 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 July 2022 - 07:24 PM

I bought the years Gaia Premium having used the basic. A screenshot below are my traveling iPad apps. I am currently looking for a good tutorial for the Gaia and will try to learn up now. As far as all those beautiful roads I have seen photos on WTW for the last 11 years.... where folks roam into NP, BLM, Monuments, etc. which would be the best to use to determine which dirt roads are open to travel on? 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5420.jpg

Edited by buckland, 22 July 2022 - 07:25 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#45 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 July 2022 - 07:47 PM

For us Benchmark Road & Recreation Atlases for each state. Both paper and digital are very good, though not perfect. Also, where coverage is available, National Geographic Trails Illustrated topographic maps, paper and digital, are even better, but coverage is limited. Google maps and our Garmin Drive Smart 65 are fine for highways, towns, cities and developed areas, but often badly misleading in the backcountry.

The USFS puts out some Motor Vehicle Use Maps in paper and sometimes in digital/GPS navigable form.

Bureau of Land Management has Georeferenced PDF maps for several areas: https://www.blm.gov/...referenced-PDFs

A weather band radio is handy since some roads become impassable when wet.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#46 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 22 July 2022 - 09:16 PM

Thanks for the leads. Impressed with the Nat Geo maps with Gaia. We have Midland walkie talkie GMRS radios (2 hand held and a cab radio) It has weather band as well. I have been going to BLM map sites and their interface is very .... well.... designed by an engineer... as opposed to an artist. Old PC user klutzy.  No doubt has incredible amount of detail info but hard to navigate.

I will go to MVUS maps soon. Appreciate the steer.

Rob

Henry David Thoreau

#47 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 July 2022 - 08:36 PM

We have a Garmin inReach emergency beacon (which I consider essential if you are getting seriously off-pavement in the desert) which came with an app called Earthmate. It is my go-to app for figuring out where to go on the fly particularly as it does a great job of delineating what kind of land (USFS, BLM, NPS, tribal, etc.) you are driving through when looking for places to camp. I also like Avenza maps if I've downloaded them before leaving home. There are a lot of free MVUMs for FS land available there to download. Second the need to plan in advance on Google Earth to see what you may be getting into roadwise... although I've been fooled a time or two or three because it's a 2D look at the planet and elevation changes can be overlooked.

I third the suggestion to look into Borrego Springs. We'll be in that area in January, mostly boondocking in the state park but also a couple of nights at a motel. It has a clothing-optional pool!  ;-) Tecopa has never struck me as a place we'd care to hang out, it feels a bit rough around the edges.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#48 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 27 July 2022 - 10:30 PM

It seems to be a popular place!  We have  had 5 recommendations for Borrego Springs already. We would be also boon docking except for a night stay at a motel. We hadn't thought of going that far west but we have around 13 weeks so why not I guess? Just want to be able to stop and smell the roses (or in this case cacti). Don't want to be a driving fool. I actually love driving places but also want to sit in my chair or go for a hike with my dog (and wife!!!). R-E-L-A-X. 

Is the State park boondocks camping just that? Or must one register? Is its a competitive thing that time of year for a spot away from others? I crave those camp sites I have seen photos of here on WTW for the last 11 years. Seems almost impossible for me to think that actually getting away to those spots is not an extreme sport. For us in the east ... when we seek those spots one has to go into to some remote hard to get to areas, real hard to get to.... like Labrador. 

I am hopeful and I do love the planning but much will have to be left to on the fly. I am getting into the Gaia maps. they have a new one called Gaia Overland which combines topo, USFS, public, MVUM, BLM into one map. So far pretty nice ...learning the ropes. I will down load all western map areas before departure as well I have my own GPS unit in the truck that the iPad connects to so all maps will be accessible. We live in an area without hardly any cell so we have learned to be self sufficient map-wise.

Thanks again for your input.

Edited by buckland, 27 July 2022 - 10:32 PM.

Henry David Thoreau

#49 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 27 July 2022 - 11:08 PM

I could see how Borrego much less most of California would be out of the way on your trip. We've only been there maybe three times pre-pandemic so I can't answer to how competitive the boondocking has become but I would assume that it is an order of magnitude worse based on everyplace else we've been in the last three years. Still there will be spots but maybe with a bit more traffic and another party within earshot if they don't value the silence that comes with the desert. If we get lucky it may be a little rainy (but not flash floody!) From what I remember the roads are mostly gravel rather than the wicked mud of places like redrock Utah.

We've been looking at doing a reverse of your plan on a semi-annual basis; i.e., escaping California for the East Coast for the smoky months of August, September and October. We are dedicated boondockers and know from experience that it is virtually impossible east of the Mississippi. So a rental place in the Adirondacks as a base camp for trips afield into New England and Canada would be an ideal situation for us. Just not sure if there is a supply of 3 month rentals there. Motels are always an option.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#50 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 05 August 2022 - 04:47 PM

Howdy

You may be well past this but I wanted to mention two web entities that have some use for the southwest:

desertusa

anzaborregonaturalhistoryassociation

Both are good for an introduction and both have the usual tourism dross...adventure hats etc.

Sadly, remember that wildfires will be a factor too....even next winter.

Happy planning

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users