roof "oil canning"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 04:20 PM

Meant to ask this a while back. I have a 160 W panel  ( approx 26 x 55) mounted directly to the full length tracks on my Ocelot. I notice a fair bit of "oil canning" in the roof at times, especially when meeting large trucks. Probably a normal thing , but I was thinking of installing a sill gasket or heavy duty weather stripping to seal off the front and sides of the panel . Has anyone done anything to stop or reduce this ??

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:20 PM

That surprises me, I think it’s the first instance of ATC oil canning I’ve heard of.  I’d make a direct call to Marty, I think he would want to know.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,291 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:51 PM

Steve has ATC gone to the same one piece roof material as FWC?

I wouldn't think our older style roof material could/would do that.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:00 PM

Steve has ATC gone to the same one piece roof material as FWC?

I wouldn't think our older style roof material could/would do that.

Frank

Frank, ATC still uses the one piece ribbed style roof they've always used. I expect the issue is due to the long solar panel mounted that moves with wind and air turbulence.

A call to Marty would be beneficial as he could offer suggestions.

This is a different issue than the "oil canning" reported on another manufacturer's campers.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:10 PM

Your probably right Ski. I guess I just didn't know how to describe it. Was just talking to Jeff and he said as long as MY mounts are solid to the track its no problem. The panel has been on this way for 3-4 yrs now so I'm probably just starting to worry more in my old age !! Do any of you Guys have this with your panels?

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,583 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:29 PM

Your probably right Ski. I guess I just didn't know how to describe it. Was just talking to Jeff and he said as long as MY mounts are solid to the track its no problem. The panel has been on this way for 3-4 yrs now so I'm probably just starting to worry more in my old age !! Do any of you Guys have this with your panels?

I’m confused, I guess I don’t know what is actually going on.  Is wind under the solar panel causing the roof to lift or make noise?  

The oil canning I had on my Grandby was the noise that an old fashioned oil can would make as you pressed on the bottom.  It would do it when we were trying to sleep if there was a moderate wind.

I am haunted by waters

#7 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 08:54 PM

W.S. It never does it when not moving , no matter how windy and it only does it occasionally when meeting a transport or with certain crosswinds. Must be the wind getting under the panel. I'm sure there are lots of solar panels mounted directly to the tracks like mine is. Probably overthinking the whole thing. I'll just drive on. 

#8 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 09:00 PM

penner, I have not experienced this noise. I have two small 100W panels mounted directly to the roof. I once watched the solar panels on another person's camper - I was driving our truck so could not look at ours - and witnessed how much an elevated panel can move in turbulent winds, especially up and down. It convinced me panels need to be mounted securely. I expect your long panel is moving up and down and making the noise you describe. If its been solid on the roof for 3 to 4 years, you are probably fine. I inspect my mounts each time I get up on a ladder to clean the panels.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#9 penner

penner

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 11:21 PM

Ski. Would you happen to have a pic of your panels? Were leaving in 2 days but maybe I will make a change when we get back in September . Thanks.

#10 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,332 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 11:46 PM

Ski. Would you happen to have a pic of your panels? Were leaving in 2 days but maybe I will make a change when we get back in September . Thanks.

Happy to, but it will be tomorrow morning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users