Fernweh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin

Posted 19 July 2022 - 06:00 PM

Afternoon Campers,

I just purchased a manual Fiamma 45 from FWC and have been looking for installation and build videos to help with the project of attaching to my 2022 Fleet shell. 

It looks pretty straight forward:

• Attaches to the passenger side of the camper.
  • Requires six drill holes through the body and frame of the camper and to mount brackets that connect the awning.
  • Additional drill holes required in the base of the brackets to connect awning to bracket.

Here are my questions??

• Hardware positioned inside along wall where brackets mount onto camper? I'm having to avoid a few areas along the length of the camper to drill and attach bracket mounts through the camper frame. I can't drill thru the three wooden storage shelf above the dinette, I need to make sure I don't drill and attach hardware that will interfere with bed slide out. I should also avoid any interior wiring that may run inside wall space... I have a shell so Im sure there isn't any wiring. Can you think of any other considerations? Thanks
  •  I want to make sure the awning doesn't interfere with the roof opening and closing. I need to make sure to mount brackets low enough so they don't interfere with roof movement on the pop up. Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks for the input and ideas that may come about. Seems like a key item for the camper and will extend our living space outside as well as provide protection from the elements. Thanks up front. Jim

2020 Tacoma and FWC Fleet

A craving for travel... to places you have never been.

German Quote

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 19 July 2022 - 10:26 PM

Haven't done this myself, but have had two campers down to the aluminum framing before.  So, here are my $.02:

1) Why not go through the wooden storage bins?  They screw directly into the wood backing in the large C-channel at the top of the frame.  Ideal place to put the awning supports since they would be hidden inside the bins.

2) The shells are pre-wired, so the wires are there regardless.  Not too many wires IN that C-channel though

V

#3 Fernweh

Fernweh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin

Posted 20 July 2022 - 12:56 PM

Thanks Vic,

I'll measure the boxes and see if the bracket backing mount and plastic cap would fit inside one of the storage squares. I agree its a good place outside for supporting the awning. 

Can you share more about the Channel C? What is that? Clearing the roof and having my cap come down and not interfere with the closing of the camper is my last worry.

Appreciated,

jim

2020 Tacoma and FWC Fleet

A craving for travel... to places you have never been.

German Quote

#4 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 20 July 2022 - 07:57 PM

I don't think we through-bolt the Fiamma awnings on the side of the camper.

At least not on a Fleet Shell Model.  Probably through-bolted only on our flatbed Models.

We just use the aluminum mounting brackets provided by Fiamma, and screw those brackets into the exterior siding / framing on the camper, and then hook the awning to those brackets, and secure with rivets under the bracket so the awning does not flop around.

I think (think?) the brackets mount approx. 1" below the upper trim piece, so the awning can sit flat on the side wall of the camper once it is mounted.

We always put butyl tape behind the brackets to best seal them up.

Hope this helps.

Attached Thumbnails

• Awning Bracket Installation Part 1 (2).jpg
  • Awning Bracket Installation Part 2 (2).jpg

Edited by Stan@FourWheel, 20 July 2022 - 07:58 PM.

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#5 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 20 July 2022 - 09:11 PM

Yep, that's the way FWC installed my awning.

#6 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 21 July 2022 - 02:50 AM

Same with ours.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 21 July 2022 - 04:59 AM

Stan, where you screw the mounts on, would that go through the siding into the C-Channel and the wood?  

Fernweh, the C-Channel is structural aluminum that is about 3-4" tall, and 3/4" deep, about 3/16" thick, so way sturdier than any other part of the camper.  Makes sense to screw into that.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users