24 replies to this topic

#1 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 26 July 2022 - 02:30 PM

First it was the Toyota dealer. They refused to rotate the tires because of the camper. I was told that the truck was "rocking and rolling" on the lift. When I asked how they had managed to service my T-100 with a 4-wheel camper on it for the past twelve years the answer was "I cannot speak to that". (gee- what is that I smell?)

So I ended up at Tires Plus (who had installed tires on that T-100 as well as the small car I owned) and they rotated the tires with no hesitation - a year and a half ago. But now I have to schedule the alignment lift  in order for them to do any work on my truck. Or I have to remove the camper. 

The store manager said something about an overloaded camper (? - the story was disjointed and vague) collapsing a lift and killing a technician so I am going to guess this is an insurance issue. And I have to wonder why they would not tell me this at Toyota and now the manager at Tires Plus has become rather cagey as well. Is there some kind of "gag" order attached to this whole issue? (more snark than serious question) 

But I am concerned about being able to get any kind of service done without removing the camper (the progression of refusal may not be over yet) - something I was trying to avoid. I've seen 30 foot motorhomes as well as my friend's hard side camper on jacks blow over while parked in the yard along this stretch of Hwy 395 and I doubt my skill at backing under the camper and attaching it without assistance. I also do not currently have jacks. 

I know most of this  can be remedied in one way or another but I wanted to ask what other camper owners do. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Do you regularly remove your camper or service the truck yourself or....? 

I am assuming there is some electrical that has to be disconnected along with the turnbuckles? 

Gee - I did not know how much danger I was in that time I changed a tire on the T-100 with camper  using the jack that came with the truck. (ok - that was pure snark and totally uncalled for if someone died but I don't like giving money to people who try to bull**it me) 

Any advice? anecdotes? jokes? scolding?  

Edited by teledork, 26 July 2022 - 02:33 PM.

#2 fuzzymarindave

fuzzymarindave

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMarin County, CA

Posted 26 July 2022 - 03:12 PM

Perhaps if you can go to the scales and get a certificate proving that you are within the vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating then they may concede and do the service.?

2015 Hawk, Silver Spur Interior, Fiberglass siding.  2008 F250 4x4 Supercab

#3 Cottonww

Cottonww

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 04:30 PM

I suspect it is a shop by shop problem. I had a leak in my airbag shocks and went back to the installer. I first went to them after having the camper off for a long non-camping road trip. Then went back to them(in Tucson) with the airbag leak problem and they wouldn't put it on their old lift unless I took the camper off. So, screw them I called a shop in Phoenix and no problem. I had them install a leaf spring and trouble shoot the leak. They were a lot more competent and did both and found an elbow leaking. But they only jacked it up and didn't use a lift. I felt sorry for the Guy crawling around underneath to do the job outside in the heat. 

#4 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 26 July 2022 - 06:03 PM

Perhaps if you can go to the scales and get a certificate proving that you are within the vehicle's gross vehicle weight rating then they may concede and do the service.?

I had not thought of that. But the weight of the camper is printed right next to the door - "shell" model with heater, stove, propane is listed separately. I believe this weight is from a certified scale? 

The gist of Toyota's story is that a camper with the cab-over is unbalanced.  And then I got a different story from the tire shop. Both of the explanations were quite vague but the tire shop did mention that it was a very light camper but will still require me to schedule the alignment lift. 

The implication that a camper is not properly balanced is not the same as an overweight vehicle causing an shop accident. I suppose this issue will eventually catch the attention of the camper manufacturers. They may be incorrectly blamed but in any case I think they need to tell their customers that shops - for whatever the real reason is -  may refuse to service their vehicle with the camper on the truck.  And yes - I do also believe pigs can fly. 

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,376 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 26 July 2022 - 06:23 PM

I have seen a picture a truck & FWC that fell off a shop lift while getting serviced.  I can't post it, because I'm not sure the owner would want that.  But I heard that it bent the frame of the truck, and they had to cash him out on the cost of the truck.  So I can sort of see why they might be hesitant.  With so many potential lawsuits, it is easier to say "No", than take the risk to make $89 bucks on a tire rotation or oil change.    :(

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 26 July 2022 - 06:42 PM

I have seen a picture a truck & FWC that fell off a shop lift while getting serviced.  I can't post it, because I'm not sure the owner would want that.  But I heard that it bent the frame of the truck, and they had to cash him out on the cost of the truck.  So I can sort of see why they might be hesitant.  With so many potential lawsuits, it is easier to say "No", than take the risk to make $89 bucks on a tire rotation or oil change.    :(

So do your salespeople tell customers that they may have to remove the camper to service the truck? Ive been told you don't do this anymore but my 4-wheel was bolted to the truck bed so I would have been SOL. (If it has not already been done the new owner is going to change that) 

I understand the view of the repair shop but you are the first person who has given me a straight story and I don't get why the repair people can't or won't. I appreciate your response. 

#7 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:18 PM

Ok. I can understand the problem with telling a customer "you are not spending enough for us to take the risk" but how hard would it be for them to tell me it is an insurance issue? 

I think of a brewery and a cannabis dispensary which used to allow dogs but no longer do. The dispensary plainly said that their insurance company said no more dogs. The brewery mentions "many incidents" and that they cannot legally operate if they allow dogs rather than say the word "insurance". I just want people to be honest with me. The caginess does not inspire trust. 

I think I'd better get me some jacks and learn how to do this. 

#8 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:53 PM

Ya knowing how never hurt (I think) my mechanic puts mine up on his 10,000 lb lift and also uses his jacks for small stuff with m camper. But I live in a little town ...life at times is easier.

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#9 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:28 PM

Ya knowing how never hurt (I think) my mechanic puts mine up on his 10,000 lb lift and also uses his jacks for small stuff with m camper. But I live in a little town ...life at times is easier.

I live in a small town but we no longer have a mechanic. I used to rotate my own tires and change my own oil but the tools belonged to the ex and I was hurting for months when I HAD to change a tire in an emergency more recently (female, 5'2", 120 lbs, signing up for Medicare) I could get help with the tires and I'd need a few items to do the oil. I have become more concerned about being able to have other service done without removing the camper since I do not currently have camper jacks. 

Another interesting data point: the new owner of my old rig had a problem getting a (second) smog check because of the camper. She was told she needed to deal through a "referee" but when she called the "referee" he laughed and said WTF? Then she found a small shop who said "no problem". 

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:50 PM

I use America's Tire and they only use the lifts for cars. Anything else gets floor jacks.   They've never even mentioned the camper.

S&H 4WD asked how much my rig weighed. Apparently they have a 10k limit on their lift. The other shops I've used, I'm not sure if they even use a lift. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users