Photo
- - - - -

Have You Had A Close Call Driving - Cheated Death?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#11 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 01 August 2022 - 01:37 AM

Here's our story, an excerpt from our upcoming trip report.

The Lady was driving, taking her turn and allowing me a break from pilot duties. We were south of Alturas, in California’s remote northeast corner, heading north on two lane highway 395. Traffic – as is usual on 395 north of Susanville – was very light. We caught up to a semi that was traveling at around 60 mph. The speed limit was 65. With a long straight section of highway with good visibility and no oncoming vehicles, the Lady pulled into the left lane and started by the 18-wheeler. I was alert in the passenger seat and confirmed to the Lady all was safe. We pulled even with truck’s cab when we all saw it. On the left, from behind vegetation, a pickup truck appeared, speeding down a dirt road intersecting with the highway. He was not going to stop. He was looking only to his left. He was turning right onto the pavement directly head on into us. It all happened in a second. The semi driver let up on his throttle. The pickup completed his gravel raising right turn into our lane. The Lady moved to the right. The pickup driver’s “Oh S##T!!!!” expression was absolutely priceless. He kept turning to his right and off the highway, foot mashed into the accelerator, and took off into the dirt and brush. We all – the semi, our truck, the pickup - missed each other by only a foot or two. We never looked back to see what happened to the pickup. The trucker didn’t either. “You know,” the Lady calmly said. “I hate passing.”

I am happy you had nothing to report but an adrenaline rush! 

As for similar experiences, Impetuous youth is to blame for all my near death experiences. I have grown cautious and maybe just a tiny bit forethoughtful in my older years.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 01 August 2022 - 01:43 AM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#12 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 August 2022 - 03:36 PM

Wow, thanks to all for sharing these spine tingling close calls! It can be scary out there. During our decades of teaching outdoor skills we always stressed that driving was THE DANGEROUS part of the trip.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users