#1 Mderou

Mderou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:30 PM

Hi All, 

I purchased an Attwood Female receptacle for the truck and notice it has 10 Gauge wire affixed to it. I was planning on running 8 gauge wire to the truck battery, but would that be nullified by the 10 gauge wire? In other words should I just run 10 Gauge to the battery?

Also I've read about Automatic Charging Relays and Thermal Breakers. Does anyone have any links or info of which to get for these? I have been prepping this FWC all summer long and this is the last thing I need to address before loading the camper. A lot of work, but most of it enjoyable. Electrical stuff is my weak point so if you want to explain it to me like I'm 5, that would be cool :).

#2 bfh4n

bfh4n

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationLovingston, Virginia

Posted 15 August 2022 - 05:37 PM

A little 10-ga won't negate the lower resistance of the 8-ga. Just make the 10-ga part as short as possible. It's the total resistance that matters.

The more important question is how you will make the splices. Poorly-done splices could add a lot of resistance and cancel out the benefit of large wire. It's a question for another thread!

2014 silver Fleet front-dinette

2007 Tacoma Access Cab 4WD TRD V6 6-speed

#3 Mderou

Mderou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 02:42 AM

A little 10-ga won't negate the lower resistance of the 8-ga. Just make the 10-ga part as short as possible. It's the total resistance that matters.

The more important question is how you will make the splices. Poorly-done splices could add a lot of resistance and cancel out the benefit of large wire. It's a question for another thread!

So perhaps I should get 8 Gauge. I planned on soldering at the receptacle and then butt connectors elsewhere 

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,955 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:20 AM

I got a lot of my electrical gear from PKYS.com - Marine gear is a whole lot better than RV gear.

The Blue sea ML series of ACR’s are great, and their surface mount circuit breakers are good too, and double as switches so you can isolate circuits during maintenance.

#5 Mderou

Mderou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:19 PM

I got a lot of my electrical gear from PKYS.com - Marine gear is a whole lot better than RV gear.

The Blue sea ML series of ACR’s are great, and their surface mount circuit breakers are good too, and double as switches so you can isolate circuits during maintenance.

Curious Do you know if the ACR is compatible with AGM batteries? I have 2 Optima Yellow Top and I've read it's not a good mix? I searched ACR for AGMs with nothing. 

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:52 PM

I can't see why an ACR would care what kind of batteries you have.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 16 August 2022 - 05:35 PM

As an inanimate object, the ACR doesn't "care" about anything.   :)

I have had a Blue Sea ACR on my boat with AGM starting battery and AGM  house battery since 2008. My first AGM batteries lasted for 7+ years and the second set of AGM batteries have lasted since mid 2015 without issues.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#8 Mderou

Mderou

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 05:45 PM

Okay thank you, I read something here about AGM's and ACR's I must have misunderstood it. 

So, Blue Seas 7611 with (1) 30AMP Thermal Breaker supplied usng 8 Gauge CCA wire to Female Receptacle, tied into AUX batteries. Am I missing anything? 

#9 bajaphile

bajaphile

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • LocationNCSD CA

Posted 19 August 2022 - 02:20 PM

My only comment would be to ensure there is a similar breaker (I just use regular reset-able circuit breakers) at the Aux battery side if there isn't one already. You want the breaker as close to the battery as possible on both the truck battery and camper battery.

2001 F350 V10 4x4 w/ 2003 FWC Hawk

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 

#10 K7MDL

K7MDL

• Members
  • 286 posts
  • LocationSnohomish, WA

Posted 20 August 2022 - 06:33 AM

The 7611 ACR will work fine.  It will sense either side so it will close when either side voltage rises above the setpoint.  If you have solar this will keep your stating battery topped off.  My truck battery is drained after 2 weeks so now it is topped off daily while it is parked outside. 

In my case I had the 7611 installed under my truck bed before my camper to isolate and charge my ham radio gear and aux battery. In the past I have bypassed the camper's stock relay in favor of my dual sensing ACRs but with my new Hawk with solar, the internal camper relay is always on when needed so I left them in series, been working fine.

The ACR when located near the truck bed power connection Attwood connector) can act as a terminal strip making for easy transition between 6GA wire for the truck battery/breaker and the 10GA wire on the Attwood connector.   The short bit of 10GA won't affect much.

Mike

K7MDL

2016 F-150 FX4 XLT SCab | Ingot Silver | 6.5' | 3.5EB | 3.55 w/rear locker | Tow | IBC | 7050# GVWR | 1945# Payload | 36Gal | BFG A/T KO2 LT275/70R18E | Timbrens

2022 FWC Hawk Silver Spur | Front Dinette | Cassette Toilet | Cooktop | Hot Water | Outside shower | CR850 fridge | 160W rooftop solar panel | 15A MPPT controller | Dual 90AH AGM batteries | Yakima Rack | 2 Maxxair fans | Furnace | Fiama side awning | Mechanical Jacks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users