* * * * - 1 votes

Jerry Cans - The secret Weapon

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#41 heinphoto

heinphoto

• Members
  • 166 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area (East Bay)

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:16 PM

I have the AT Overland jerry can holder with their FWC corner bracket mount.  It has an additional bar that supports the bottom of the holder and bolts through the bottom of the camper overhang.  I think this also prevents repetitive flexing on rough roads to reduce the stress on the corner bracket.

https://atoverland.c...lder-nato-style

I have been very happy with both the Wavian jerry can and the ATO holder.

-Scott

FWC Slide-in Grandby and OEV Aluma Tray on a Ford F350 Supercab with the 6.2L Gas Engine.

http://www.heinphoto.com/

IG: heinphoto

#42 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:22 PM

Scott,

Could you please photo the "additional bar that supports the bottom of the holder through the bottom of the camper overhang"? I missed this at their website.

If I read that correctly there is a fastener going into the FWC and not just using the corner jack bracket.  I have studiously avoided puncturing the outer skin of the Hawk.

Thanks....Phil

Ps...Scott, never mind the photo, I went back and on the AT diagram it shows the bottom strap bolting up into the bottom of the overhang...non-starter for me...too paranoid about leaks in outer skin...

May re-think the less desirable [in my opinion] RotoPak and AT bracket for right rear jack bracket...only 2 gallons though, but less weight. [24 lbs with gas]

Edited by Wallowa, 13 March 2023 - 03:50 PM.

#43 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:29 PM

Mine has no penetrations through the skin. Bolted to the jack bracket and the two bars underneath. I've carried it full for years (probably don't need to) and absolutely no issues carrying the weight.

KIMG0125%5B1%5D-L.jpg

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#44 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 13 March 2023 - 05:10 PM

Thanks craig...but it seems to bolt up into the underside of the camper overhang...correct?

#45 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 13 March 2023 - 07:52 PM

Yes. In my camper that goes into the cabinet below the sink. There is an additional L bracket behind the jack bracket that bolts to the can carrier.

#46 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 14 March 2023 - 01:07 PM

I just ordered a Wavian jerry can and front load holder.

Thanks for all the reviews saying that's the one to get.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#47 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:36 PM

I think I solved my fuel issue for now; we have an '05 Tundra Access Cab, with back seats removed for more room and less weight. A 5.3 gallon Wavian can fits easily behind my passenger seat and is almost abutted to slight rise in back floor.  I will wedge one of our Rubbermaid containers we use up against the back side of can and front of can will be against the back of passenger seat.  I have researched the issue of fumes and it seems with a good gasket they are vapor proof.

Will do local test runs before our desert trip in April to verify if the can is vapor proof... B)

Phil

#48 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:56 PM

If you look at ramlinchet posts that’s the mount he used

I’m just stealing the idea

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#49 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 14 March 2023 - 09:24 PM

My Jeep's cans certainly aren't leak proof. Reminds me I need to order new gaskets. I'm kind of surprised the gas cops haven't pulled me over yet.

#50 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 14 March 2023 - 09:44 PM

I think I solved my fuel issue for now; we have an '05 Tundra Access Cab, with back seats removed for more room and less weight. A 5.3 gallon Wavian can fits easily behind my passenger seat and is almost abutted to slight rise in back floor.  I will wedge one of our Rubbermaid containers we use up against the back side of can and front of can will be against the back of passenger seat.  I have researched the issue of fumes and it seems with a good gasket they are vapor proof.

Will do local test runs before our desert trip in April to verify if the can is vapor proof... B)

Phil

Make sure you strap that can down and other items that could fly around and hurt you.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users