• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

#51 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 11:13 PM

Good discussion and film. Since our 21 Tundra came stock with a 38 gallon tank, we can go for a long ways and not have to carry extra gas. Don't miss having to do worry about that anymore.

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#52 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 14 March 2023 - 11:21 PM

38 gallons!  I want one!

Anybody know who can retro fit one for me................. :D

I have had 4 genuine NATO cans for 15 years, bought them new, and never have had any odor or leaks...I did however just order a new Wavian 5.3 / 20l can....and yes, I have new gaskets and the original spout to use on Wavian...assuming it fits...

Oops...looks like 38 gallon only available for 2007 up and not our 2005...plus photos show it without a shield and hanging lower under truck.....steel but vulnerable...

Ps...Good advice about strapping things down....I always confirm my wife is seat belted in!

Edited by Wallowa, 14 March 2023 - 11:48 PM.

#53 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 15 March 2023 - 02:22 AM

Ps...Good advice about strapping things down....I always confirm my wife is seat belted in!

:wub:  :lol:  Your best and most valuable asset!

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#54 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 15 March 2023 - 02:28 AM

Good discussion and film. Since our 21 Tundra came stock with a 38 gallon tank, we can go for a long ways and not have to carry extra gas. Don't miss having to do worry about that anymore.

We love our 38 gallon tank on our '19 Tundra double cab. Having a 300 mile plus range is mighty convenient and helps with the peace of mind. The instrument panel says 410 miles range when filled -- but if you think I trust that -- no way!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#55 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 15 March 2023 - 04:35 AM

This is why I went diesel this time. Bigger tank, better fuel economy, and I can get a 62gal Titan tank if I really want to.

#56 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:46 PM

Have done 420 in our 21 Tundra and only put in 32 gallons. so theoretically could go further, but that was far enough!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#57 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 24 March 2023 - 06:27 PM

I received my can and mount.

here's a picture of where i mounted it. I will be keeping the nozzle in a tool box so it doesn't get filthy with road grime

i-Hk2Cm5W-M.jpg

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#58 Wallowa

Wallowa

Double Ought

• Members
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationNE Oregon

Posted 24 March 2023 - 07:29 PM

I received my can and mount.

here's a picture of where i mounted it. I will be keeping the nozzle in a tool box so it doesn't get filthy with road grime

i-Hk2Cm5W-M.jpg

Looks good!  Nice to have that bumper as a mounting point to carry the weight.  I concur about not leaving the spout on the can.  Clean spout = clean fuel.

Edited by Wallowa, 24 March 2023 - 08:05 PM.

#59 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,879 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:01 PM

A couple of years ago a friend stumbled onto some of these wavian cans private labeled by Briggs & Stratton in red. They came with a short nozzle in a plastic clip pop-riveted to the carry handle assembly. I bought two and put one on the rear of the Blanc-Oh! ('96 White OJB). Motoring down I-5 one late afternoon somewhere South of Los Banos and North of Kettleman I caught some odd movement in the center mirror. It took a bit to get over to the side (trucks were doing 75+ in the 'Slow' lane). Took me a while to figure out what was missing, that nozzle. Wasn't a huge loss, but I don't like to knowingly litter (I figure that enough gets away from me unintentionally that I try to balance the scales at least a little). With traffic what it was there was no walking back for it.

So yeah, if yours is the same clip then I wouldn't leave the nozzle in it either. I keep a Swiss nozzle under the hood of most of my trucks.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#60 Mthomas

Mthomas

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationNorth Tahoe

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:19 AM

One more data point

These are great fuel cans, but after 3-4 years of being mounted on my camper, and on the truck continuously, both the can and the mount from wavianusa, have rusted significantly and are probably nearing failure point, replacement time. Not really a buy once and never again solution. The old school rapid pour spout, hard to find these days, has fared better but will be moved to a less exposed location going forward

2018 Hawk FD 2016 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD

18 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 18 guests, 0 anonymous users