#71 Tom n N

Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:26 PM

So the downside of the shaker appears to be that the can needs to be higher than the tank to work effectively. Unfortunately I don’t have a convenient shelf like JWL. For now I’ll keep looking for a Swiss spout. Lots of versions available online, but none appear to have the long internal vent tube as pictured in the earlier post. I don’t think adapting for an unleaded filler looks to be too hard a project, just want to start with the highest quality spout as I only like to buy stuff once.

93 Toyota 4x4 with FWC Eagle shell

65 Chevy 4x4

#72 Tom n N

Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 06 June 2023 - 01:16 AM

Only place I could find listing the Swiss Nozzle was ‘Swiss Army Vehicles’ in Arkansas. Website listed it out of stock every time I checked. Finally decided to call and was told no idea when they might get more and that there was a very long waiting list. The very nice lady then  agreed to put me on the list and wished me luck. About ten minutes later the phone rang and it was the nice lady telling me she checked with the boss and he had just found some more. I quickly gave her my credit card number before she could change her mind, and two days later it showed up on my doorstep. Although of course used, it appears to be very high quality. Looks like the flexible spout part is copper, so shouldn’t be too hard to fab an unleaded adapter. In the meantime I’m looking forward to trying it out on my old Chevy truck tomorrow that doesn’t need an adapter.

If anyone else is looking for one of these, now might be the time to jump on it.

65 Chevy 4x4

#73 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:59 AM

Eagerly awaiting your use impression of the nozzle.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#74 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 06 June 2023 - 02:47 PM

Just called them and said they have a few in stock.  Web shows out of stock as they have not changed it.

Cost  $57.50 , shipping to west cost $22.45,  total  $79.95

I just purchased one.  

Thanks Thom for the link.  Looking forward to modifying the end for unleaded filler and seeing how fast it drains.

Patrick

Only place I could find listing the Swiss Nozzle was ‘Swiss Army Vehicles’ in Arkansas. Website listed it out of stock every time I checked. Finally decided to call and was told no idea when they might get more and that there was a very long waiting list. The very nice lady then  agreed to put me on the list and wished me luck. About ten minutes later the phone rang and it was the nice lady telling me she checked with the boss and he had just found some more. I quickly gave her my credit card number before she could change her mind, and two days later it showed up on my doorstep. Although of course used, it appears to be very high quality. Looks like the flexible spout part is copper, so shouldn’t be too hard to fab an unleaded adapter. In the meantime I’m looking forward to trying it out on my old Chevy truck tomorrow that doesn’t need an adapter.

If anyone else is looking for one of these, now might be the time to jump on it.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#75 Tom n N

Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 09 June 2023 - 06:58 PM

Finally tested out my new Swiss nozzle.

Haven’t made an unleaded adapter yet, so tried it on my old 65 Chevy truck. Full 5 gallon dump took less than 30 seconds!!!  As stated before, build quality very high - I’m sold. 

Next have to make an adapter so I can test it on the Toyota. Can easily use copper reducers but undecided about incorporating the included screw in filter attachment on the end of the nozzle. Would be nice to have the screen, but that would introduce a steel to copper joint, which may not be a good long term thing. What have others done?

Tom

65 Chevy 4x4

#76 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 09 June 2023 - 07:47 PM

I'm really glad that it worked for you like they have for me!

What I did, because it was what I had laying around, was to carefully grind the male threads of a copper union to fit inside the end of the aluminum piece that the screen is attached to. The union already had a short section of copper tube sticking out of it (a rem from an old air supply system). I then used some J-B Weld in the end of the aluminum part, and after fitting the reducer but before the J-B set up I carefully peened the end of the aluminum part down over the formerly threaded portion (rib) of the union.

I don't know what he used and I have only his verbal description to go on, but a friend in NorCA found a fitting that fits over the end of the nozzle that he then was able to reduce down to the 3/4" tube size. He said that it's a tight fit on the nozzle and he leaves it in place.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#77 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 02:21 AM

Tom and Thom,

Tom attached are my images of the spout that I just got a hour ago.

Did yours have this much rust?

They did attach a new gasket.

I need to clean up all the rust.  What paint type would you use after the rust is removed?  (something in a spray can?)

Thanks,  Patrick

20230609_190958_resized.jpg

20230609_191011_resized.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#78 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 02:22 AM

End condition.

20230609_191039_resized.jpg

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#79 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 10 June 2023 - 04:17 AM

No, mine are not that rusty. I'd think that any durable paint would be fine for it.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#80 Tom n N

Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:10 AM

While definitely well used, mine was also not rusty, and still had most of its original green paint. Your end nozzle looks about the same as mine. It unscrews to reveal the screen. Mine has a small hole in the screen and I’m thinking I probably don’t need a screen anyway.

Still trying to decide if I’m going to attach the unleaded adapter I’m making to the screen thingy or just discard it and attach the adapter directly to the flex hose. Since the flex hose looks like copper or brass, and my adapter is going to be copper, I think I’m not going to use the aluminum screen holder. As an old electrician I know aluminum to copper connections never end well, especially here on the salty coast.

After that I need to work on mounting. Fortunately I feel really comfortable storing it inside my FW Camper. After two weeks of shaking in Baja in high heat not a whiff of fumes! What I really need to figure out is a good system to mount two cans on my old Chevy 4x4. At 12MPG and a 12 gallon tank by the time I get out into the really good stuff I’m on E.

65 Chevy 4x4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users