7 replies to this topic

#1 Fly Fisherman

Fly Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 August 2022 - 03:00 PM

Started this camper Sept.15 2021. I have photo of build if there is interest.

Attached Thumbnails

• AC73CB4B-F59A-4AD7-9F0E-F7050F618B7D.jpeg

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 August 2022 - 11:39 PM

we're always interesting in builds, especially if there are pictures!

#3 Fly Fisherman

Fly Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 25 August 2022 - 01:24 PM

I managed to post pictures in Gallery. It is under Dirt Floor Camper . In the forum, I kept getting file too large error.
I will try to transfer the photos with explanation why I did certain things.

#4 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 25 August 2022 - 03:00 PM

There may be a better way to do this but here's a link to the Dirt Floor Camper gallery in the meantime...

Dirt Floor Camper Build

(And thanks for posting your photos, Fly Fisherman...  very interesting!)

Edited by Old Crow, 25 August 2022 - 03:08 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#5 PokyBro

PokyBro

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas, Nevada

Posted 26 August 2022 - 05:54 AM

Nice job on your build, you put a lot of thought and planning into it to get your camper to a useable stage. Looks like you’ll have some nice adventures in your future. What are the plans for the interior? Any idea on weight so far? Keep up the good work!

1999 F250 crew cab SRW, 7.3 Powerstroke TD

1981 Grandby shortened to a Hawk

Build thread / https://www.wanderth...by-into-a-hawk/

#6 Fly Fisherman

Fly Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 26 August 2022 - 11:32 AM

Thank You for the kind words. I have a front dinette. My daughter is making the cushions for me. I tried to make drawers, but they were not coming out like I wanted them. In the end my counter top hinges up, and has storage dividers. My frig sits on top of my diesel heater box.
I still need flooring. I put the black mat that is used in weight rooms down, but I don’t like that.

I am going to take truck and camper to feed store and weight it, then take camper out and weight it. The truck sit level, and doesn’t seem to notice the weight. Some of the things I did are heavier than factory campers I am sure. My roof is one piece aluminum. It is .040 from a shop that repairs Hooper trailers (bottom dump grain haulers).
The cost was very little compared to the .026 used on other campers. A 10’x 11’ piece was $220.00.

Most people don’t like wood. It works for me because I am not setup to weld aluminum. Most folks including myself are not qualified or skilled enough anyway. The camper will be used in temps ranging from teens to -20 F. I like to ice climb in CO and do mixed alpine climbs.
When not in use, it will stay in the dirt floor barn where I built it.

I have more pictures, but posting them is difficult for me.

#7 Ghettofab75

Ghettofab75

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, Ca

Posted 29 August 2022 - 07:07 PM

Thats pretty cool!  Definately good inspiration for my current camper build project!

What did you use to seal up the wood on the bottom?

Did you sew your own fabric siding?

Many people scoff at wood construction, but for campers it makes a lot of sense, espicially home built ones.  When I started designing mine I looked at building with wood, but I'm better at metal fabrication so I went that route instead.  Wood doesn't have the same thermal bridging issues as metals do.

Kevin

#8 Fly Fisherman

Fly Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 30 August 2022 - 12:48 PM

I used Sherwin-Williams porch and floor paint on the exterior floor pack.
I did sew the fabric my self. A buddy gave me an army tent that was damaged in a storm. Mostly the frame.
I had to seam it together in three places. The one on camper at this time has no windows in the fabric. I am almost finished with another that has windows on the driver and passenger sides.

I need to put offset lift strut brackets on. The ones I have now are rubbing my drip rail.
The only area I am not completely happy with is the roof. It is very strong, but weights 120 pounds.
The 60# struts I have make it lift easy, but it is still a lot of weight to carry up high.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users