• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 25 August 2022 - 04:04 PM

I have a couple of things that run off of the standard "cigarette plug" outlet in my vehicles.  Most of the plugs (male parts) are garbage and don't work very well.  Has anyone found a source of better quality plugs that could be used to replace the crappy ones that come standard with most things?

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 25 August 2022 - 04:24 PM

I'd check Blue Sea brand stuff out.... 

#3 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 30 August 2022 - 03:07 AM

We are on our 5th generation of plugs. First 1 A, then 2 A, then 3.0 Quick Charge, then PD&QC. We now have 2 GaN 60 W plugs to run our laptops and the other plugs are at least Quick Charge 3.0.

Expect to replace your plugs every few years, if only because the technology changes. I'd look for Anker plugs. Check the Amazon reviews, especially the 4, 3 and 2 star reviews; 1 and 5 star are often shills. The main issue I have is the plug working lose on our kind of roads. It's somewhat hit or miss, but if the ground/negative bars on the side of the plug are longer, they tend to stay put.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

#4 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 August 2022 - 01:52 AM

If you replace both the plug and the socket with Blue Sea Systems matching components then those will 'lock' together with a 1/4 turn while still working with other plugs or sockets. They just won't lock when mated to other mfg's products.

I really like the Blue Sea sockets. I'm not so keen on their plugs, but short of tracking down DIN power point components I don't know of a better solution. Their plugs aren't bad, and they're a heck of lot better than some of the plugs out there, but they could be a lot better.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 31 August 2022 - 01:12 PM

Something to consider if you're having a pain-in-the-butt problem with a 12-volt plug coming out of its socket...

I use double-socket extensions/splitters in the cabs of my truck and van to have enough 12-volt sockets.  Though it's the Blue Sea one, its plug was still popping out while driving as the truck/van socket side isn't a Blue-Sea twist-lock one.  I'd hear my GPS alert with a loss-of-power beep and have to reach over and push the plug back in.  That was happening several times a day on a long drive.

In April of 2021 I decided to try putting a thin strip of something between plug and receptacle to make it more of an interference fit and see how that goes.

I bought a small sheet of 1mm-thick high-temp silicone with an adhesive backing.  I thought I'd first just try a small piece-- only about a 1/2" wide and maybe an inch long.  And I left the backing on for the test.

That worked perfectly and I've used it ever since.  I should note that the piece of silicone falls out when I remove that plug.  That's not an issue for me as I leave the double-socket extensions plugged in almost all the time.   I did try removing the adhesive backing to adhere the silicone to the plug but that didn't last.

Edited 8/31 to add---

I had some work to do on the van this morning (after posting) and thought I'd check the plug.  When I saw the silicone sticking out I remembered that I had later made the piece of silicone a bit larger so it sticks out and reminds me its there when I reach to pull the plug. This one is 3/4" x 1-1/2". 

Attached File  CigarettePlugSilicone.jpg   104.93K   22 downloads

Edited by Old Crow, 31 August 2022 - 03:39 PM.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 31 August 2022 - 01:32 PM

In addition to the aforementioned Blue Sea combos - the Marinco Sealink plug and receptacle combo also utilizes a twist lock feature.

https://www.amazon.c...e,aps,87&sr=8-5

Keep in mind that the above has a 10A/120 watt limit and at best will allow for #16 gauge wiring.  

Edited by TacomaAustin, 31 August 2022 - 01:41 PM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#7 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 August 2022 - 01:37 PM

FWIW, Blue Sea Systems and Marinco are the same product. It is either that Blue Sea owns Marinco or they're both owned by the same company. Same is true with BEP Marine, you'll see some of their product with a Blue Sea Systems label on it.

In both of my Toyotas I've replaced the OEM socket with a Blue Sea/Marinco socket. Had to change the 12VDC+ terminal to do so.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#8 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 31 August 2022 - 04:34 PM

Seems you are correct about these brands. https://www.marinco.com/en/brands

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#9 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 31 August 2022 - 05:02 PM

I didn't think that it was well known, but nor did I think that it was news either. Note the other names under the Marinco header.

Looking at the amazon link above I'm not finding the 10A rating listed. The norm for these is 15A. Did I miss the 10A rating somewhere?

The Blue Sea page for the plug doesn't mention the ampacity, but their page for the socket says 15A. Likewise, the Marinco page for the socket says 15A

https://www.bluesea...._Watertight_Cap

https://www.marinco....eceptacle-Black

AHA! The Marinco page for the plug says that it comes with a 10A fuse and that is it''s max rating.

https://www.marinco..../12VPG/12V-Plug

Thom

Where does that road go?

#10 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPortland OR

Posted 31 August 2022 - 05:17 PM

We actually removed the FWC USB panel and wired three three sockets in our front dinette Fleet - one behind each seat just below the counter and one below the front window. Getting in and out of the seats no longer dumps electronics onto the floor. It's not a particularly difficult job, as 12 V is nearby the seats and running a wire to below the front window just involves about 12 screws. The passenger side is real easy; the driver side and front socket require removal of the kitchen fascia.

If you install your own sockets, then the Blue Sea twist plugs are the way to go.

I don't see Blue Sea having any GaN (Gallium Nitride) plugs, but look/wait for them. GaN is much more efficient than silicon allowing for more power, less heat, smaller size and better reliability.

Also, make sure your socket can handle the power. I had one socket get hot and had to replace it. For Blue Sea, make sure the socket is suitable for the plug power. Otherwise I recommend the old all metal sockets originally designed for cigarette lighters.

Edited by Jack, 31 August 2022 - 10:17 PM.

2015 Fleet on 2019 Ranger

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users