• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 01 September 2022 - 02:12 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.  The problem is not the plug falling out, it's what Jack mentions - plugs get hot and melt the cheap plastic before the fuse blows.  (my application is for a Coleman piezo cooler, which does take some power)  I'm considering just ripping out the cigarette plug and going with Anderson powerpole plugs.  Upside is they would be able to handle the current and don't use cheap plastic (and the auto fuse would protect the wires).  Downside is this would be a single-use item, not available for other cigarette plug appliances.  But I have three built into the F150, so sacrificing one is not too big of a deal.

#12 ntsqd

ntsqd

Custom User Title

• Members
  • 2,881 posts
  • LocationNorth So.CA

Posted 01 September 2022 - 02:50 AM

Sounds to me like you're at the tipping point where putting in a separate fuse block (chose one that uses the same fuses as the truck!) and running a dedicated power feed for the cooler.

Thom

Where does that road go?

#13 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 01 September 2022 - 04:36 AM

+1 on a separate circuit for the cooler. How many amps does it pull?

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#14 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 01 September 2022 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. The problem is not the plug falling out, it's what Jack mentions - plugs get hot and melt the cheap plastic before the fuse blows. (my application is for a Coleman piezo cooler, which does take some power) I'm considering just ripping out the cigarette plug and going with Anderson powerpole plugs.

Powerpole connectors are nice, because they don't tend to wiggle out of position.

That said, my advise is to punt with regards to the piezo electric cooler. Over the summer, I was able to purchase an in between sized 30 quart F40C4TMP brand DC compressor fridge for $239 shipped during an Amazon sale. The 30 quart is the smallest size that will hold a full sized milk jug or carton in the upright position.

The F40C4TMP is an off-brand, but except for the color, it looks identical to a BougeRV 30 quart 12V DC fridge for which there are plenty of reviews for on youtube.

Note: The price of the F40C4TMP unit can be all over the place and is usually listed at $299 - I've seen the price as low as  $229.

Edited by TacomaAustin, 01 September 2022 - 01:39 PM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#15 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 02 September 2022 - 03:25 PM

Thanks all for the replies.  I'll look into the compressor fridge - much better and more efficient appliance (similar ones were in the multi-hundred-dollar range when I bought my Coleman for $79).  I actually have two of the Colemans so am reluctant to change over completely.  Not sure what amps they pull, but about 5-7.  They will run on a 5A glass fuse for a day or so before blowing it, and I've never had a 10A fuse blow.  I've never had the Ford fuse blow either.  

Might just wire something up for the Coleman and also get the compressor fridge - gives me options.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users