10 replies to this topic

#1 JaSAn

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 25 August 2022 - 06:19 PM

I will be camping and hiking with a beagle in West Texas and New Mexico this fall.

Is it advisable to get snake avoidance training for my dog?  

- He is very inquisitive and likes to 'follow his nose'.

Any training I should look for or avoid?

Being from Northern Minnesota I am snake ignorant.

Anything else I should prepare for?

Thanks, Jim

Sköldpaddan, a 1977 FWC Grandby
Renovating Skoldpaddan
2012 Ram 2500 4X4
1951 Dodge Power Wagon

#2 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 25 August 2022 - 10:38 PM

I should get a refresher for my dog. Its insurance. Do it and you'll probably never need it. Considering how long it takes to get to a vet from some of the places we go I thought it was a good idea. The guy I used travels all over CA, AZ etc. Can't recall his name.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#3 RONR

RONR

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMarin County, California

Posted 26 August 2022 - 12:46 AM

The short answer: I agree with Craig and recommend it if your heading into rattlesnake country with your dog. Especially a curious dog.

To me it’s peace of mind. Plus my wife has always made it clear that if I take the dog with me and something happens to the dog “don’t bother coming back”.

I’ve always had very mellow Golden Retrievers who probably need no training to stay away from a coiled up, hissing rattlesnake. But before I was aware of rattlesnake training, I was fishing and watched in horror as my golden stepped over a gently moving rattler. She didn’t mind and apparently the rattler did not either but I almost had a heart attack. Hence the beginning of rattlesnake trainings with my dogs.

I have used and highly recommend Get Rattled but they are only in California and Nevada. I was somewhat concerned about the use of the shock collar on my sweet Abby. So when I got to the first training I told the trainer that she was very gentle and very sensitive. He said good to know and dialed the shock down to lower levels. He said their philosophy was to set the collar to a level that was effective for the specific dog. At the trainings I’ve seen some dogs that lower shock levels just piss them off as they keep going for the snake. So they crank it up until the dog learns. So IMHO I would suggest a trainer that understands that not all dogs need it cranked up to a 10 on the first pass.

So with my dogs, because they just don’t seem to care about snakes let alone want to attack it, the goal has been to train them to be aware of the presence of a snake, stay away from it and certainly not walk over it.

Ron

#4 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 August 2022 - 12:47 PM

I recommend it, and I too wonder if I should get a refresher course. A while back I was on a ladder in my back yard and my dog started barking, and wouldn’t stop. I got off the latter and there lying in the grass coiled up, 5 ft off the ladder was a rattle snake. It works!

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#5 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 August 2022 - 01:38 AM

Jim, a big yes on avoidance training, and see your vet about a vaccination. I’d also carry Benadryl in your pack.   

I have taken both my dogs through the training (Fritz x3 as I hunt him frequently in snakes terrain), both dogs get annual vax.  Contact a NAVHDA chapter to find out who conducts training near you!

I am haunted by waters

#6 rruff

rruff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationRuidoso, NM

Posted 27 August 2022 - 04:22 AM

see your vet about a vaccination.

This study seems to show it doesn't help: https://www.dovepres...xt-article-VMRR

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 August 2022 - 03:59 PM

This study seems to show it doesn't help: https://www.dovepres...xt-article-VMRR

Here in Oregon, the veterinarians I am associated with do recommend the vaccination.  I care deeply about my dogs, and $30/year for any measure of protection is a reasonable expense.  

Both NAVHDA (North American Versatile Hunting Dog Association) chapters I belong to offer annual snake aversion clinics, with vaccination if desired.  

In life, we buy our tickets, and take our chances.  I’m hoping for the best.

I am haunted by waters

#8 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 27 August 2022 - 07:40 PM

Oh, really?

"...unvaccinated dogs were 2.7 times more likely to have higher morbidity scores...."

"No statistically significant protective effect of the rattlesnake vaccine was suggested in our data, likely due to the small sample size of vaccinated dogs. The potentially life-saving benefits of this vaccine merit further study."

(^^^^^^^^this is an important statement - guess you missed that part) 

I know -  scientific writing can be tedious to read. It is even more tedious to write. 

Edited by teledork, 27 August 2022 - 08:16 PM.

#9 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 27 August 2022 - 08:07 PM

I vaccinate my dogs and carry Benadryl. I have wanted to do the aversion training but have not been able to schedule it. We don't encounter many rattlesnakes (and/or?) the Great Basin Rattlesnake is known for its retiring personality. I've had dogs (Lab, Golden and Aussie) step right over one without incident. 

My best friend had a beagle - what a busybody! - but that is their job. If I had a beagle I'd make sure to get the aversion training.  

#10 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 09 September 2022 - 02:47 AM

Ive had good luck with the rattle snake avoidance training.  Went 2x with my last vizsla and 3x with my currently vizsla.  Ton of snakes on my 160 acres of San Diego back country.  It works in my opinion!  The trouble for the OP is finding a class that fits with your travel schedule.  

steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users