• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts
  • LocationHome is where you park it

Posted 04 September 2022 - 09:58 PM

It may be a bit of a stretch to post this as a trip report, but being as we truck camped our way across the country as we moved from Oregon to Vermont I'm going to count it.

Yep, we decided on short notice to move to Vermont.  So our upcoming wanderings will be a bit further east.  

It's a short report, as it was mainly driving interstates.  More to come in future posts as the colors change!

Trip report is here: https://www.occident...off-to-vermont/

2020 Ford Ranger, 2012 Eagle

http://www.occidentalist.org

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,589 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 September 2022 - 11:55 PM

Wow, that’s a surprise!  Our best to you!

Let’s see lots of your new haunts…

I am haunted by waters

#3 Spitfire

Spitfire

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 11:55 PM

Sounds like a pretty sudden move. Good luck to you,

Edited by Spitfire, 05 September 2022 - 12:14 AM.

2011 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 2013 FWC Hawk

#4 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 10:46 AM

Yes, we were thinking about a change for a while.  Getting out of the big city that Bend has become and slowing down a bit.  This came with a job, place to live and a lifestyle change all in one so we did it.  

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 05 September 2022 - 02:30 PM

I'm jealous!

I see your avatar says you're in Jay.  We loved our drive through that area in the Fall of 2019.  We had wandered north up VT 100 from the Green Mountains of southern Vermont because our map showed it as a dotted route--  a scenic drive.  We were bound for Maine but the drive north up 100 was so nice we took it almost to the Canadian border before turning east.  We then took 105 East into New Hampshire and on to Maine. 

Despite the rural area, I see you have some interesting choices-- a little over an hour west to Lake Champlain, two hours northwest to Montreal and three hours east to one of my favorite areas of Maine.

And I see your local ski resort (Jay Peak) gets the most and best-quality snow in the East

Nice!

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#6 OutToLunch

OutToLunch

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:20 PM

Must say I am jealous.  The green, the water.  

Flagstaff, like Bend, has grown and is continuing to grow.  Second homes and vacation rentals abound.   Large apartment complexes being built.  It has also become much hotter in the last decade and the winters are milder with less snow.  I used to live in Saranac in far upstate NY, a.k.a. lower Quebec, and still miss it.  We have been discussing a move to the northeast/New England after our son finishes college but are concerned about the lack of public lands there.

#7 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:29 PM

Congrats and good luck on the big move. Now that you’re heading from “west” to “east” will you be changing your site name?

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 05 September 2022 - 04:29 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#8 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:36 PM

I'm jealous!

I see your avatar says you're in Jay.  We loved our drive through that area in the Fall of 2019.  We had wandered north up VT 100 from the Green Mountains of southern Vermont because our map showed it as a dotted route--  a scenic drive.  We were bound for Maine but the drive north up 100 was so nice we took it almost to the Canadian border before turning east.  We then took 105 East into New Hampshire and on to Maine. 

Despite the rural area, I see you have some interesting choices-- a little over an hour west to Lake Champlain, two hours northwest to Montreal and three hours east to one of my favorite areas of Maine.

And I see your local ski resort (Jay Peak) gets the most and best-quality snow in the East

Nice!

Thanks Old Crow - yes, lots of scenic drives to take for sure.  We're looking forward to getting the boat out on Champlain and other lakes yet this fall.  And apparently the "Jay Cloud" does drop some impressive snow - we'll see.  

#9 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:38 PM

Must say I am jealous.  The green, the water.  

Flagstaff, like Bend, has grown and is continuing to grow.  Second homes and vacation rentals abound.   Large apartment complexes being built.  It has also become much hotter in the last decade and the winters are milder with less snow.  I used to live in Saranac in far upstate NY, a.k.a. lower Quebec, and still miss it.  We have been discussing a move to the northeast/New England after our son finishes college but are concerned about the lack of public lands there.

Yes, on the public lands, there is the Green Mountain National Forest and a lot of state forests, but I'm not so confident on the dispersed camping opportunities.  Those are a favorite and probably not a lot to go around, but we'll have fun looking.  

#10 Occidental

Occidental

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:40 PM

Congrats and good luck on the big move. Now that you’re heading from “west” to “east” will you be changing your site name?

Nope, our roots are in the west, and we'll be back, I'm sticking with the same name.  This, (like everything, I suppose) is temporary.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users