15 replies to this topic

#1 Doff

Doff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 03:35 PM

Looking for some help/ advice about our CO2/ propane detector going off.

We bought our FWC new last summer, so we have had it about a year.  Since the beginning of this summer our CO2/ propane detector has been going off a lot.  it often goes off in the middle of the night when were sleeping.  We also find it going off when we are driving.  We will stop for gas or something and realize its been alarming.  We also find it alarming when the truck is just parked in our driveway.  We always turn off the propane tank whenever the truck is in motion.  It seems to be happening more frequently.  I contacted FWC and they weren't much help.  They thought it was "very odd" but couldn't figure out why,  They also couldn't tell me how to disable it.  They offered to replace the detector, but we live pretty far from them so it will be weeks till we can get there.  The alarm has lately been going off so frequently, that we have just stuffed a few pillows on the ground around it to dampen the noise so I don't have to go out to our camper every 30-45min to turn off the alarm. Any suggestions about what to do?

THANKS!

#2 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSugarloaf, Colorado

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:26 PM

This is a long shot, but…once when our camper was stored in the garage and I was working with some gasoline, the propane detector started going off. Fumes were very light, but it was a closed space. Stopped when I aired the place out. Is there any chance that there are gasoline fumes nearby?

Oh, and we also had it going off once when a huge cloud of road dust got into the camper. I think I’ve seen this mentioned somewhere.

Edited by Charlie, 05 September 2022 - 04:27 PM.

#3 longhorn1

longhorn1

Ouch, that stings!

• Members
  • 2,826 posts
  • LocationCarmel, Indiana

Posted 05 September 2022 - 04:44 PM

It is a very simple change out. Ours failed at year 5. I bought a replacement from FWC and had them ship it to Indiana. There was a problem with front dinettes because the detector is cut into the battery compartment. Battery off gasing would set it off. It would happened at home, plugged into shore power the camper getting hot. As recommended by FWC, I taped the backside of the detector before installing. Never had another issue.

http://texaslonghorns01.blogspot.com/

Ford F-250 Long bed, 2014 Grandby

#4 Big Al

Big Al

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2022 - 05:47 PM

If you're still under warranty, have FWC mail you a replacement.  If not, just go buy one, they're not very expensive.  Install by simply changing out the two wires and you're good to go.  

I recommend against "muting" or just disconnecting it.  

Al

#5 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 06 September 2022 - 12:58 AM

These alarms have a five year life, so prepare to replace the alarm on that schedule. Check the expiration date on the replacement. When I bought a new one, it was already a year old so it had a 4 year life. You should get a discount for that.

Gasoline fumes from a generator, weed eater, gas can, etc. can set it off if located in the camper while traveling.

The Coleman 1 lb propane bottles may off gas some after they have been used. The same may be true of the isobutane canisters. If you carry those, as many of us do, try moving them out of the camper to see if the alarms stop. 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:01 AM

As Paul mentioned the 1 lb propane cylinders can leak(even when new) as was the case when my alarm was going off intermittantly. I bought some of these and have never had another issue.  

https://www.amazon.c...&sprefix=propan

Edited by Beach, 06 September 2022 - 02:04 AM.

#7 Bigfoot Dave

Bigfoot Dave

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 03:53 PM

If the batteries are lead acid I would suspect off gassing as mentioned above. Bigfoot Dave

#8 veryactivelife

veryactivelife

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 September 2022 - 06:40 PM

As others have mentioned, they don't seem to last or at least they become overly sensitive after a few years. The following things can set it off: battery charging and off gassing, dust, pet hair, heat and humidity. Battery charging and off gassing seem to be the main culprit. I had continual problems even after replacing it, although fewer issues after replacing. After I switched to Lithium batteries the problem stopped completely.

Dean

Dean and Mary
2015 RAM 2500 Cummins with 2015 Four Wheel Campers Hawk flatbed

VeryActiveLife on Facebook, instagram & YouTube

#9 BryanToyFWC

BryanToyFWC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 15 September 2022 - 11:07 PM

Our alarm went off several times in the middle of the night on several camping adventures.  I'm going with dog farts.  He slept right next to the sensor and had gas issues.  He died and I've had no issues since.  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.  

#10 Charlie

Charlie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSugarloaf, Colorado

Posted 15 September 2022 - 11:32 PM

Our alarm went off several times in the middle of the night on several camping adventures.  I'm going with dog farts.  He slept right next to the sensor and had gas issues.  He died and I've had no issues since.  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.  

Not exactly a double blind test, but I believe your theory.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users