• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:21 PM

I’m planning to travel to Jarbidge NV from Reno next week. Going via Elko, Hwy 225 and Charleston Rd. Will be fishing the Bruneau and Jarbidge rivers. 

This is my first trip up that way, any advice or tips?

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:29 PM

Take with a big grain of salt any fishing advise anyone in the Outside Inn gives you. Oh boy did they have fun with us many years back. It was extremely hot on our trip and fishing was poor. Hope it's better for you and have fun. My dentist, back in those days, raved about fishing the Jarbidge River.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 September 2022 - 12:49 PM

Surely nobody at the Outdoor Inn would dispense nonsense or BS!  In July, Ron (who apparently holds court between 4 and 6 pm daily), proposed to my wife and sealed the deal with a diamond ring presented to her.  It was a blank costume band with a dime coin glued to it, hence a "dime-ond ring".  She gleefully accepted but when she started asking Ron about his pension and 401(k) balances, he became less interested in proceeding.

The drive on the route mentioned is terrific.  Long,  steep climb out of Charleston through Coon Creek Summit to Bear Creek Summit and since it was close to 100 deg F on July 11 and since we were towing our 3,000 lb camper, I had to stop and switch on the heater WOT twice to cool down engine and transmission, but that's not likely a problem without the tow.  

The descent from Bear Creek Summit into town was entirely banzai--probably 8-10% grade if not more in places and  much of the final  pitch is shelf road.  Thank goodness for  functioning low range transfer case and  for holding the transmission in low gear.  We tiptoed very slowly but safely down the 2,500' drop over just 2-3 miles.

We camped at Sawmill just below town.  Took a look at Pine Creek and disbursed sites between town and Pine Creek CG, but most were small and  hard by the road,  where dusting was an  issue.  Less so at Sawmill since it's a couple hundred feet from the road.

Lots of fishy looking water in the Jarbidge in the 10 miles below town out towards Rogerson,  ID, but we chose not to license up in Nevada given the short stay.  We  mostly wanted to just go to Jarbidge for a look around enroute between Elko, NV and Ketchum, ID.

Foy

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 September 2022 - 02:39 PM

Looking forward to the report. Jarbridge is on my short list.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 September 2022 - 05:43 PM

With my alleged retirement now in place, just as soon as I can get by some tax deadlines between now and 10/15, I'm sworn to finally prepare my first TR.  I've only been a member here for a decade or so!

Foy

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,321 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:11 PM

With my alleged retirement now in place, just as soon as I can get by some tax deadlines between now and 10/15, I'm sworn to finally prepare my first TR.  I've only been a member here for a decade or so!

Foy

Since you are so good at working with and meeting deadlines, should we set one for you? :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#7 Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

Smokecreek1

• Members
  • 2,762 posts
  • LocationNE Calif/NW Nev

Posted 08 September 2022 - 08:33 PM

Me too Craig-I had all the maps and wild cross country trip thru northern Nevada planned out and had an old friend ready to go -then Covid hit and that was it.  Maybe soon again one day-all the maps are still piled up on my desk :rolleyes:!  So keep us posted on your progress!

Smoke

Smokecreek1:99F1504x4with05Granby

#8 PJorgen

PJorgen

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • LocationNorthern Nevada

Posted 08 September 2022 - 09:14 PM

Thanks for the comments and encouragement. I’ll definitely do a trip report when I return. May even try to take some pictures. 

2014 Hawk, Silver Spur exterior on a 2012 GMC 2500HD 4x4.

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 09 September 2022 - 10:39 AM

Been our list too and we haven't quite made it there.... I'll look forward to the "report".  I suspect the fishing consists of redband trout.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 09 September 2022 - 11:22 AM

Since you are so good at working with and meeting deadlines, should we set one for you? :)

That's a good idea!  But the immediate challenge is that all of my deadlines over the past 38 years have been delivery systems for a paycheck.  Only time will tell how I may adapt to non-income producing deadlines!  

Foy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users