22 replies to this topic

#1 tbaxter

tbaxter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:30 PM

My wife and I just put a deposit on a Hallmark Milner. Now the waiting begins. Thanks to others on here with the batteries and charging system.

#2 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 08 September 2022 - 04:23 PM

Awesome decision! You will be very happy. 

We just completed a 6 week trip to the Canadian Maritimes in our Hallmark Everest and everything continued to work fantastically.

Attached Thumbnails

• EBD86CF6-B861-4AEF-BC00-6A110F339F54.jpeg

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 September 2022 - 04:59 PM

Congrats on your new camper! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 14 March 2023 - 01:08 AM

I just picked ip our new Guanella a few days ago. The total order time was about 13 months. After talking to Matt about their supply chain issues, I understand the lengthy build time. Add labor shortages to that and it’s really understandable. After spending my first weekend in it, I couldn’t be happier. So many advantages over my previous FWC. It’s worth the wait to get the best IMO.

#5 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 14 March 2023 - 12:02 PM

Congratulations! Now go out and get lost somewhere and enjoy…

BTW, what did you choose for your solar set up if any?

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 14 March 2023 - 05:05 PM

Enjoy your new camper.

Post some photos.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 M1010 Mike

M1010 Mike

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 05:00 PM

Hope you order doesn't get tangled up in this.

https://www.wanderth...for-bankruptcy/

1984 Chevy M1010 Ambulance - Desert Turtle Build Thread
Sold: Build Thread on American Adventurist Dodge Ram and FWC Build

#8 tbaxter

tbaxter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 24 March 2023 - 02:01 AM

I contacted Hallmark as soon as I saw this. They are planning on filling orders during the bankruptcy proceedings.

#9 Wyo4Life

Wyo4Life

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 June 2023 - 09:38 PM

I just picked ip our new Guanella a few days ago. The total order time was about 13 months. After talking to Matt about their supply chain issues, I understand the lengthy build time. Add labor shortages to that and it’s really understandable. After spending my first weekend in it, I couldn’t be happier. So many advantages over my previous FWC. It’s worth the wait to get the best IMO.

Can you spell out the advantages in your opinion over the FWC?
I am comparing the Hallmark Milner to the FWC Hawk. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

#10 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 17 June 2023 - 03:25 AM

Can you spell out the advantages in your opinion over the FWC?
I am comparing the Hallmark Milner to the FWC Hawk. Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Here’s the reasons I switched, in order of importance (for me):

1. Cordless drill powered mechanism to raise the roof. As a fella in his late 50’s, it got old having to manually push the roof up. The front one is a real pain if you have a solar panel (which most people opt for), or any additional weight on the roof.

2. Waaaay more interior storage.
A. The ceiling mounted cabinets provide a lot of space for dry goods and kitchen supplies. They are lightweight, yet sturdy, and best of all, your not stooping over to get in lower cabinets near as often.
B. Under-bed storage. We put all of our clothes and a few other soft goods under the tilt-up lid that is under the mattress. No more duffel bags taking up valuable space. FWC has under-bed storage with the flatbed models, but not with slide-in models.
C. A small closet-like cabinet behind the cassette toilet where we store a lot of miscellaneous gear.
D. The option for the “work boxes” that are at the outside, rear corners. Very handy for storing tools and gear that you want to access from the outside.
E. The much higher weight capacity of the roof allows for roof hauling more gear on a roof rack. We have a fly rod vault and a cargo basket, mounted to a Yakima rack on our roof, in addition to a/c unit and solar panel. The mechanical lift can lift it all when raising the roof.

3. Option for a grey water tank, either interior or exterior (depending on model). We opted for the interior, and we still have more storage space than our previous FWC.

4. Insulated soft walls on the Hallmark provide much better climate control and is all 1 layer. The “thermal pack” option on FWC is necessary for decent insulation, but is an additional layer you have to deal with at the windows and always came off on the corners and behind the rear lift panels (at least on my ‘21 Grandby). And if the thermal pac is necessary for decent climate control inside the camper, why is it an upgrade option? It should be included in the base price.

5. Option for a rear wall ladder. The rear wall steps option available on FWC are dangerous for a guy my age, I learned from a few near fall situations.

6. Non-metallic construction does not allow condensation to form when running the heater. You will always have condensation in a FWC when you run the heater. If you don’t get it dried up enough, it will lead to mold/mildew problems.

7. If you opt for an a/c, which we did, it’s on the roof. Therefore, it’s out of the way, and not in lieu of valuable cabinet space on the rear wall.

8. You can stand on the roof, when needed, with roof raised or lowered. Thats a huge no-no on FWCs.

9. A quiet heater that doesn’t have ignition issues and doesn’t wake you up when it kicks on.

10. All of the above for about the same dry weight (with comparable options).

Having said all that, I really like FWCs. They are very well constructed. That’s what attracted me to them in the first place compared to cheaper pop-up campers that have chintzy construction. When I was originally deciding between FWC and a Hallmark, I went with the FWC because it was about $10,000 less than a comparably equipped Hallmark. Then after having the FWC for a year or so and then seeing a Hallmark and looking it over carefully with my own eyes, I decided the extra money is worth it to have the above options and features.

I hope that helps. Either one gets you “out there”, enjoying the great outdoors and both will provide you a lifetime of memories as long as you take care of them.

I’d be curious to know which direction you decide to go when you’ve made that decision.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users