27 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 08 September 2022 - 11:12 PM

This fire is to the north of us burning in the Middle Fork of the American River canyon. The column is terrifying and utterly impressive from our home today. Unfortunately, I've seen much bigger columns, and much closer. We are not in danger - unless there's dramatic change - but others are.

Inciweb Mosquito Fire

A good view is from the - Bald Mountain lookout

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 519 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 08 September 2022 - 11:17 PM

good luck  - for what it's worth !

Oregon

#3 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 09 September 2022 - 12:32 AM

We are not enjoying the smoke!

**I should add that with the hazardous air quality we are a hostage to the house once again.....

Edited by pvstoy, 09 September 2022 - 12:47 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#4 teledork

teledork

Pinyon Jay

• Members
  • 577 posts
  • Locationeastern sierra

Posted 09 September 2022 - 02:53 AM

We won't be opening any windows tonight so I'll be sleeping on the couch. There is an AC unit in the living room and one at the other end of the house. My bedroom is miserably in the middle. But I will count some blessings - it has been a decent summer so far and during the Tamarack fire last year they had to turn off the power for a couple of days. I know people in both Foresthill and Georgetown. I can take a night on the couch. 

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 03:15 AM

My older brother lives just south of Georgetown in an Evacuation Warning Zone. I just heard the horses were moved to safety. Another friend is in the Crystal Basin helping evacuate an old summer range homestead in case the fire makes a big run to the east - its most probable path.

We thought and hoped we could get through this season without another fire. It's not working out that way.

The smoke was awful here this morning but much worse down the hill.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,018 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 09 September 2022 - 05:47 AM

I've been watching it on the Bald Mountain cam. Scary and impressive. Was last at 13700 acres. Hate to think what its going to be in the morning. One more day of hot weather.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#7 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 04:39 AM

9pm tonight we hit 239 very unhealthy.  Looks bad out there, lucky it is dark to not really see the fog.  Should have stayed on vacation... Blah!

Airnow1.JPG

airnow2.JPG

Airnow3.JPG

Edited by pvstoy, 11 September 2022 - 04:42 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#8 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:20 PM

We feel for you. We have bad smoke and ash too, from a fire that roared up suddenly yesterday. We had been climbing a peak there just the day before. Yikes.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,335 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:40 PM

9pm tonight we hit 239 very unhealthy.  Looks bad out there, lucky it is dark to not really see the fog.  Should have stayed on vacation... Blah!

406 here this morning. Only good news is it is a sign of little wind to push growth of the fire.

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,770 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 02:51 PM

Yikes!!! Sucks being a house hostage.  Lets hope the cooler temperatures and rain? maybe helps some.  

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users