11 replies to this topic

#1 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 10 September 2022 - 01:57 PM

Guys,

I had ordered a Ford Lightening more than 18 months ago.  It finally came in last week.  Im LOVING it.  Quiet, powerful, smooth.  

I don't think it will replace my 2012 F350 for the Granby I own.  And if I were to take the 150L on long trips I think it would be overall much slower than driving my old truck.  It is remarkable to see my highway range drop going from 65mph to 69mph.  I got the extended range battery which ought to give me a bit more than 300 miles range.  However, they suggest for battery longevity not to charge beyond 90% as a normal SOP.  That gives in my case about 265 miles.  If I were to add a camper I think my 90% range would drop to ~150 miles.  Based on the flakiness of the charging infrastructure I think I would want a buffer of 30-40 miles in case I need to try a few charging stations to find one that works.  Sooo, that puts me down to 100-120 miles of range at 65mph.  That is not practical in my opinion.  

This is going to be daily driver for me.  Ive got solar panels and have been generating a good amount of excess per month -so my electricity is going to be cheap.  Also, in my case I need 4wd to access my remote property which I do a few times for week.  Also I like to take my little boat surfing a couple times per month where I need 4WD (for the slippery ramp).  On top of that things like -Home depot runs that in my F350 would cost me $40 in diesel now are coming for near free.  

Anyway, still in the honeymoon phase and we will see how it goes.

steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 10 September 2022 - 02:40 PM

Congrats on your new truck! It is fun to watch a new technology grow and imagine where it will be in 10 to 20 years.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 10 September 2022 - 04:29 PM

Congratulations! Just as when ICE-engined vehicles were first introduced, electric vehicles are improving rapidly in all areas. Don't let the Luddites dampen your enthusiasm.

#4 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 11 September 2022 - 12:36 AM

Thanks guys!  Yes I am super happy.  In my use case Ive got a need for 4WD and being rural ive got a lot of local driving.  Just today my tractor showed low on fuel- usually I think of $20-30 of diesel in my truck to get 20 gallons of fuel to my tractor.  Now- pretty much free.

steve 

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#5 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 11 September 2022 - 11:15 AM

We were just talking about the range last night with some friends.  I think you are probably right on the range and infrastruture plus you'd never get anywhere you want to go and then worry about how to get out if the charge is too low (I guess planning trips would necessitate way more planning).  I'm still not bought into the EV stuff and wonder why they don't do a hybrid truck... maybe they have but I need > 1/2 ton.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#6 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:43 PM

I’m ready to jump in when range and recharging times are improved; It’ll get there. In the meantime I’d like to see better regen tech using hybrids as a bridge. 

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#7 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 11 September 2022 - 04:21 PM

I wonder if the Chevy Bolt battery-charge engine technology scales up for trucks. Sometimes things work at smaller scale, but not larger. No idea in this case.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#8 steve whiteside

steve whiteside

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Posted 12 September 2022 - 01:45 AM

My friend is a contractor here in San Diego.  He has a crew and they are all over SD county doing jobs.  He sells the jobs, checks on occasion, and then the final closing.  As a result he does a Ton of local driving and he needs a truck to do this driving.  Anyway, i was telling him an electric truck would be huge win for him, he must put 1/2-3/4 tank in his Tundra every day.  

It is the towing and the long trips that are not optimal in my opinion.  

steve

2012 F350 4x4

2020 Grandby

#9 SkyP

SkyP

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina

Posted 12 September 2022 - 12:02 PM

A youtube channel, TheFastLane Truck,  did a trip to Deadhorse Alaska with a FWC on a Lightning.   

BTW IIRC Ford apparently says to NOT put a truck camper on the Lightning.  

20 F150 4x4 18 ATC Panther

96 F350 4x4  99 FWC Grandby Shell (sold)

15 Aliner Scout

18 Camplite 16TBS

#10 tbaxter

tbaxter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:52 PM

Congratulations! In time there will be more charging stations everywhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users