4 replies to this topic

#1 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 09:52 PM

In 2021 I refined my 1966 8’ NCO Alaskan by adding a third 100 watt solar panel, rerouting the solar feed into the camper top shell, back-feeding 12 volts into the unused 120 volt AC light circuit, and installing a stronger reading light near my bed. Details follow.

A third 100 watt solar panel was kept loose to be able to place it in the sun when my truck was parked in the shade. But I never used it for that purpose, so moved the two existing 100 watt solar panels forward on the roof rack and added the third panel to the rear passenger side. This photo shows the revised wiring on the bottom of the panels.

revised wiring solar panels.jpg

The wiring from the solar panels had entered the camper through the unused furnace vent on the bottom half of the camper. When the camper top was raised I had to pull about 2 feet of wiring out of the vent, an annoyance. So I rerouted the solar panel wire into the top of the upper shell and left 2 feet of loose wiring on the inside of the camper so the top could be raised without pulling extra wire out of the bottom. A small Perko stainless steel clam shell ventilator (cat. #. 0315DP1CHR) covers the hole where the 10 gauge duplex solar wiring enters the top shell.  

solar wire entering top shell.jpg

To provide more interior lighting, a fused 12 volt duplex wire was run up the rear interior and across to the 120 volt fuse box, where it was attached to the dead positive and negative 120 volt terminals. This fed 12 volts to the rear wall cone lamp and to the new 12 volt LED lamp above the dinette table, which has been lowered to serve as a bed. This 12 volt wire was taped to the solar duplex wire then both of them were placed inside a fabric cover, as done on current Alaskans. A 12 volt 7 watt LED lightbulb at 3000 Kelvin provides warm light from the rear wall cone lamp.   

rear wiring uncovered.jpg rear wiring covered.jpg

[continued in next post]

#2 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 10:04 PM

The former flex neck reading light at the front side of the sink wasn’t bright enough for my aging eyes. So it was replaced with a much brighter 2.5 watt (270 lumens) Britta Products 12 volt map light (model LGNS-Black-CW-12).

Britta map light.jpg

An awning rail was installed along the bottom of the top shell passenger side as the Pirelli seal retainer. When raised, an awning can be installed on the passenger side exterior. I’ve since bought better tent stakes to keep the awning tighter when erected (Snow Peak 12’ forged steel tent stakes).   

passenger side awning rail.jpg passenger side awning.jpg

A throw away plastic retainer that holds two bottles of orange juice together is repurposed to keep the closet doors together while traveling. Orange is the new green. J

OJ closet door retainer.jpg

My 1966 8’ Alaskan NCO operates wholly on 12 volts for boondocking freedom. The 120 volt AC input socket has been covered with a solid plate to render it inaccessible. No campgrounds needed!  

#3 Dr.Science

Dr.Science

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:49 PM

Thanks for the details. I like that gooseneck.

#4 Denver Alaskan

Denver Alaskan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 01:02 PM

Here are two earlier threads detailing the Improvements made to my 1966 8' NCO Alaskan camper in 2015 and 2016:

https://www.wanderth...-in-1966-8-nco/

https://www.wanderth...to-1966-8’-nco/

#5 Bos_Trok

Bos_Trok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 June 2023 - 05:09 PM

Good stuff, I like your rack for the solar panels. Great use for the OJ landfill fodder as well!

1965 8" NCO Alaskan, low side service bed, and 2002 Cummins 2500

Check out my gallery as I update my camper

20230917 181412
Album: Progress pics on the 65 NCO
29 images
0 comments

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users