• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 September 2022 - 03:41 PM

My camper is stored an open ended shed with no sun reaching my rooftop panel. I have been deploying my aux 130w folding panel to keep things topped off. 130w is excessive for a trickle charge plus I would like to keep the folding panel nice and not have it out in the elements 24/7.

Any recommendations for a smaller panel that would plug and play into the rear wall SAE plug?

Attached Files

#2 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 11 September 2022 - 04:23 PM

Do lithium batteries need trickle charging, like lead-acid batteries? I thought not.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 September 2022 - 04:30 PM

Do lithium batteries need trickle charging, like lead-acid batteries? I thought not.

Great question! I'm new to the lithium realm, is there no need to have a trickle charger set up for them? 

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,612 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 11 September 2022 - 06:02 PM

Lithium batteries do not typically require a trickle charge. A lead acid trickle charger may actually be harmful to them as it wouldn’t follow the Lithium protocol. 

A better approach may be to get a small solar panel and permanently mount on the shed roof. Run the power leads to the rear solar input on the camper and let the solar charger maintain the battery. Just remember to unplug the panel before driving off.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 11 September 2022 - 06:43 PM

"A better approach may be to get a small solar panel and permanently mount on the shed roof. Run the power leads to the rear solar input on the camper and let the solar charger maintain the battery. Just remember to unplug the panel before driving off."

Yes, this is what I'm inquiring about. I was thinking about mounting a 20-50w panel on the shed roof. Or finding a small 10w tender type panel like I use on the boat. I'm just wondering what others are using to keep things topped off via solar.

#6 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 11 September 2022 - 09:22 PM

For winter storage, LiFePO4 batteries have a low self-discharge rate of 2% per month.  Install an isolation switch that cuts off the battery from everything else in the universe and you may not need a maintain provided that camper battery is at 50% or more when in storage.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 September 2022 - 06:47 AM

+1 to what Andrew said.  Ideally you pull the main switch/knob, and let the camper sit over winter.  You can check the SOC periodically (once you get that shunt installed), but need not worry if it stays above 30% or so.  

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 12 September 2022 - 12:55 PM

+2 to what Andrew said. I have the cut off switch and plan to use in the winter when not using my van. I have 200w of solar on the roof going through a controller set for lithium. I do have a Battery Tender brand charger lithium model I bought for my BMW motorcycle, factory lithium. Really do not need it as the battery has never gone low when not used for a month in the winter. 

#9 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 12 September 2022 - 01:52 PM

Sounds good guys, thanks! Yet another benefit to lithium!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users