• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 22 September 2022 - 03:22 PM

Last night I was able to fit my new 206 SOK lithium into the Hawk. At this time I also installed my Victron smart shunt 500. Everything is working  but I have a couple questions and observations.

1. I have attached a photo of the settings I put in using the Victron app. Do they look on point for this battery? I followed a youtube suggestion for them. They also said to set SOC to 30% in the beginning.

2. I hooked up a 20A smart charger directly to the battery. It brought it up to 13.45 then seemed to not wont to charge beyond that (charger rated @ 14.6v). The charger did not indicate that the battery was fully charged based on the lack of the green light coming on. 

3. Even though the battery has increased in voltage, the SOC I preset is still at 30%. Will this synchronize and adjust once the battery hits 100% SOC?

I have the solar out today to see if that will take me beyond the 13.45v that was provided from the smart charger.  I'm hoping that when everything is dialed in I will be able to make it through those cloudy or tree shaded camping sessions for a few days with limited charging and running the fridge around the clock. (I will eventually hook up the DC-DC charing unit). My 100ah lithium wasn't keeping up.

4. The SOK battery terminals stick up pretty high only leaving around 1/8" between them and the plywood lid to the battery compartment. Will this create a hazard in anyway from heat?

Attached Files

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 22 September 2022 - 05:18 PM

Looks good, except that on my BB setup I use 14.4V as my "Charged Voltage" setting.

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 22 September 2022 - 05:33 PM

Thanks Vic. Do you recommend that I up mine to 14.4 as well? I trust your input more than random YT videos. Then once that number is hit will my SOC show 100% on the BT readout? Mine is stuck on the preset 30%.

#4 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:19 AM

I'd do that, yes.  does your SOK have bluetooth on the BMS?  It would be interesting to see what the internal smarts think is going on.

I'm puzzled about your ability to set the SOC.  I can't recall seeing that feature.  What are the settings on your solar controller?

Vic

#5 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:45 PM

I'd do that, yes.  does your SOK have bluetooth on the BMS?  It would be interesting to see what the internal smarts think is going on.

I'm puzzled about your ability to set the SOC.  I can't recall seeing that feature.  What are the settings on your solar controller?

Vic

The battery itself does not have a blue tooth connection. Any of the settings were programed through the smart shunt and the victron app. At the bottom of the display is an option to pre set the current state of charge. I followed the advice gathered online that most lithium batteries come from the factory charged to 30%. I charged all last night with my smart charger and the battery now sits at 100% @ 14.43v. When I disconnected the charger it rests at 100% @ 13.49v. At some point the smart shunt synchronized with the battery and the percentage grew as the night progressed. I'm no sure what difference it made to pre set it to the recommended 30% tho.

We will see how she works this weekend as we are off to the Delta with the tinny for some fun in the sun.

#6 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 01:02 AM

That sounds good. Have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users