Photo

Are all lithium 12v batteries created equally?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OregonIan

OregonIan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:24 PM

Hi all,

I'm thinking of upgrading from an old deep cycle battery to lithium.  I just have a shell model, with a propane heater, so don't need a ton of power.  I have the house battery charging off the alternator (or plugged into a charger when it's parked at home).  May add solar at some point, if I decided to add a fridge, but don't see the need right now.

So my question is--Lithium batteries seem to be getting much cheaper on amazon, like $300 for a 100ah, and some have a lot of good reviews.  I know nothing about batteries.  I'm wondering what the difference is between these cheap lithium batteries, and why someone would pay $874 for a battleborn?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom.

Ian

#2 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:21 PM

#1 concern for me is that the LiFePO4 have a decent BMS with a cold weather shut off to prevent charging when the temp is below 32°F.   So, don't go too inexpensive.

SOK's 100 Ah battery received a pretty good thumbs up from Will Proust - https://www.us.sokba...lifepo4-battery

#2 The switch over from lead acid or AGM  to LiFePO4 is not a plug and play upgrade.  You'll need to upgrade the wiring to the front of the truck and look into decent DC to DC charger controller which has a charge profile for lithium.

With regards to add-ons, the least complicated way to make the migration from a traditional battery to lithium is to use a solar only charging set up.   In other words, ditch the current alternator charging set up, if it is still the stock factory install.

Edited by TacomaAustin, 23 September 2022 - 11:23 PM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 24 September 2022 - 12:58 AM

As TacomaAustin said, check out Will Proust’s reviews. Batteries are not created equal.

#4 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:20 AM

You can build your own for a lot less.  As Vic mentioned, check out Will's website/forum.  I have a document on what I purchased a few years ago if you'd like it but it's a bit outdated now (I suspect).

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users