• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 26 September 2022 - 01:55 PM

We snuck off to the water this weekend for a quick overnight on the Delta. We normally avoid large campgrounds but we found one that was so clean, welcoming and loaded with perks, that we couldn't resist! Only 2 hours from home offered us a quiet place to camp with a valet tractor that picks you up in your boat right from your campsite then takes you down to the water and launches you. This made for a great day on the water with over 1000 miles of waterways to explore. We found several great places right on the water to wet our whistle. We first shot down to Garlic Brothers then over to Windmill Cove. Next we hit The Rusty Porthole. Then we found a sweet little island for a nap on the beach then finished up at Sugar Barge. Called up the tractor and they put us and the boat right back in our campsite. Quick shower then an amazing dinner with surf and turf right on the water. Weather was epic and water was absolute glass all day. 

Good stuff and right close to home.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2990.JPEG
  • IMG_1762.PNG
  • IMG_1756.jpg
  • IMG_2993 (1).jpg
  • IMG_1765.jpg
  • IMG_1767 (2).jpg

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 26 September 2022 - 04:01 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 September 2022 - 01:24 AM

Sounds like a nice place to unlax, do a bit of delta cruising, and get pampered a bit.  I regret never taking my CDory down there.

I am haunted by waters

#3 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 27 September 2022 - 02:32 PM

The SJ Delta is the great secret, most people do not realize how much it has to offer. You were a 5 min walk to my home when you were at Garlic Brothers. Next time try breakfast at Bob's next to the Garlic Brothers, their hamburgers are also great. 

Bill

#4 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 27 September 2022 - 04:03 PM

Will do Bill, Thanks for the tip. I think we will go back in a couple weeks. I love the ease factor of my FWC for strike missions like this! As much as I want to travel the country with it, I'm forced to keep my nose to the grindstone and work. Someday perhaps I will reach the point of retirement, but until then I will just keep picking off as many mini excursions as I can! Delta is a great place with great people, food, fishing and entertainment. My in laws were the owners of Turner Cut Resort for a couple generations. They sold a few years ago. It was nice to get back up there.

#5 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 27 September 2022 - 06:44 PM

Boy a valet tractor,that's pretty cool.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#6 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,294 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 27 September 2022 - 09:22 PM

Boy a valet tractor,that's pretty cool.

Frank

The valet put-in caught my eye, also.  It's a natch for any on the water or near the water CG which caters to boaters who are in truck campers, Class B, Class C, or Class A campers towing their boat.  I wonder how often such services are present at coastal or interior CGs on larger lakes and rivers?

Main drawback being it may take away one of the more enjoyable aspects of boating--the launch ramp follies.

Foy

#7 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 27 September 2022 - 11:21 PM

"Main drawback being it may take away one of the more enjoyable aspects of boating--the launch ramp follies."

Foy

Agreed! Even I have forgotten the plug, parked the trailer and returned to find my boat slowly sinking! Never a dull moment at the launch ramp.

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 September 2022 - 01:31 PM

<snip>

Main drawback being it may take away one of the more enjoyable aspects of boating--the launch ramp follies.

Foy

You can always watch Broncos Guru and the Drain Plug Mafia on YouTube.   Just as entertaining, a wider spectrum of foolish behavior, and it saves gasoline. :)

I am haunted by waters

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,256 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 September 2022 - 04:04 PM

That was a fun, relaxing, and rejuvenating getaway! Thanks for sharing the fun. About my only experience in the Delta, so many years ago, was the Speakeasy at the Ryde Hotel.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:28 AM

nice report. sounds like a great area.

i definitely like the tractor launch. for years i towed a boat with a grand cherokee, etc.  always able to look straight out the back window. this past week, launching my driftboat with my ATC, i looked like a total newbie. sheesh.

keep the posts coming

Oregon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users