Alaska and more.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 03:19 PM

We have recently returned from our 8wk , 20,500 km Alaska trip. Left home , a couple hrs N/W of Toronto, on July 13th and drove some long days to get to Edmonton to visit one of my Sisters that I haven't seen for a few yrs. After a one night stop there we slowed it down some. Headed over to the Stewart/Cassier and up and over to cross into AK at Beaver Creek. Took the Denali hwy across and then down to Anchorage where we picked up our Daughter and SIL at the airport. After they picked up their rental van we spent the next 2 weeks traveling around with them. Hatchers Pass, McCarthy/Kennecott, Valdez, Whittier, Seward , Homer and stops in between. When we were finished our Bear tour in Homer my Daughter and SIL thought they would like to head up to Talkeetna and try and catch a glimpse of Denali. And as it turned out she was out in all Her glory! After we dropped them at the airport we headed up north again. Across the Top of the World hwy, a night in Dawson and the next 4 days on the Dempster. After coming down the Dempster we started making our way back home. We took the Alaska hwy on our return trip and made another one night stop in Edmonton. When I look back on our trip , We saw a lot of incredible sites and did some amazing trips and hikes. But I will never forget 2 of the young Guys I chatted with along the way. OliWalker, who was on the last 1000 km of his 25,000 km walk from South America to Prudhoe Bay.And Jonathan, Cyclingthroughlife, a young Guy from Belgium who flew to Prudehoe Bay(spelling) on May 1st and is biking to Patagonia. Jon told me he's not taking a direct route and hopes to be done in 2025. Meeting and talking to these 2 Guys sure was interesting , check them out on instagram. Anyway, we had a great trip and hope we can get out that way again someday. ( sorry for the lame report and no pics but I'm not much good at this stuff)

#2 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,255 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 30 September 2022 - 04:12 PM

That was  nice read and thanks for the quick trip you gave me this morning! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#3 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,267 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:51 PM

Thanks for the story Some of your route matches ours on our 2009/2011/2016 trips.

That's a lot of beautiful country.I still picture it in my mind.

What a treat to see Denali. The rangers say only about 30%of visitors git even a glimpse. of the mountain.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#4 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 12:57 PM

Your welcome Ski and Frank. A few more things to add. Of the 8 weeks , we stayed in campgrounds for 15 nights, for showers, laundry or just couldn't find a boon docking spot( or didn't want to bother looking) . Only once did we leave our boon docking spot after setting up. Just south of Talkeetna, all set up , having dinner and a drunken local shows up and decides he should show off his 9mm handgun. I won't even get into that one. Gas prices ranged from 4.40 to 5.50 in Alaska and from 1.39/L to 2.70/L in Canada. Spent a total of 5500 CDN on gas . Would I do it all over again. YEP !! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users