11 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 02 October 2022 - 08:42 PM

While going through some of my gear, I found my favorite backpacking tent.  It’s a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2, and has to be at least 25 years old (I was surprised to learn they are still being made.  I wonder if the new versions are this well made).  

Sets up in about 5 minutes under ideal conditions.

It is still in good shape, and going into my solo box for times when I only want to take the Ranger. 

gallery_4841_711_74807.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#2 Foy

Foy

Resident Geologist

• Members
  • 1,295 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 03 October 2022 - 04:40 PM

The Sierra Designs 2-man* backpacking tent in which the Missus and I spent our honeymoon 44 years ago is still in the inventory.  Hasn't been set up for at least 30 years.

Just last weekend my son and I were talking about getting it out and setting it up for our grandson, age 9.

*to qualify for "sleeps 2" status, certain physical relations are assumed to take place within the tent.  It's pretty small.

Foy

#3 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 06:38 PM

Foy, my rule of thumb for backpacking tents is to always get the next larger size than the intended people  count.  In this case, sleeps 2 means sleeps one, plus some gear.

I am haunted by waters

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 04:47 AM

We still have our Eureka Timberline 4...from college days....still works fine.

#5 Wildcat

Wildcat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 October 2022 - 02:40 PM

ditto on the sierra designs clip flashlight. I'm thinking ours goes back to 1990 from REI as we bought other slightly larger backpacking tents after that but still keep the clip flashlight in the back of the closet. but it still is the lightest weight tent we own and is great emergency gear.

iirc, the downside is that it must be anchored with stakes in all the corners to provide tension on the fabric when assembling, which was a problem in certain windy and rocky environments like the California sierra mountains and parts of the Pacific coast.
2001 FWC Eagle on 1998 Taco 4x4

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 02:56 PM

<snip>
iirc, the downside is that it must be anchored with stakes in all the corners to provide tension on the fabric when assembling, which was a problem in certain windy and rocky environments like the California sierra mountains and parts of the Pacific coast.

IMO, that’s the only flaw this tent has, if it is a flaw at all.  That said, many times more than once I have seen free standing tents become airborne, then ripped to shreds with a gust of Death Valley wind.

I am haunted by waters

#7 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,194 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:40 PM

It is still in good shape, and going into my solo box for times when I only want to take the Ranger. 

Steve, I admire a fellow that can still contemplate sleeping in a tent at any age near my own.

Speaking of Death Valley wind and tent disasters, we had just finished setting up our then new North Face Summit Series Bastion 4 Person Tent at Texas Spring campground just before the wind rose. Our tent was fine of course, but we watched as the winds grew stronger and pretty much blew away the multi-tent camp site of a group of geology students. Some were merely flattened, some had broken tent poles and some disappeared all together.

Edited by AWG_Pics, 14 October 2022 - 04:41 PM.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 05:39 PM

Steve, I admire a fellow that can still contemplate sleeping in a tent at any age near my own.

<snip>

I did buy an Exped mattress to mitigate some of the aches and pains.  It is as good as advertised.

I am haunted by waters

#9 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 October 2022 - 10:09 PM

Just gotta say I love Professor Peabody and his pet boy Sherman. The Wayback Machine ...I mean they don't make cartoons like they used to. Don;'t get me started but Rhode Island Red rooster and Yosemite Sam.... irreverent loud mouths that I loved. 

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,285 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 25 October 2022 - 03:23 PM

Rob thanks for that memory jog.

Yes Professor Peabody and Sherman,along with Rocky and Bullwinkle.

Oh can't forget Boris and Natasha.

Nope no cartoons like those these days.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users