47 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,568 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 07 October 2022 - 06:40 PM

Some of the wildlife in the Baker Valley includes smaller critters that sometimes inhabit places we humans would prefer they not.  I’ve recently discovered that deer mice have made the Ranger a place to call home, leaving chewed bags of dog treats and droppings as a parting gift.  Yesterday, one made it’s presence known by scampering under the dash as I opened the door.

Not wanting chewed wiring (hopefully it’s not), I set a couple of traps near where I saw it scuttle away.  Success, a double dead mouse.  I have no idea how this happened, but the results were satisfactory.

gallery_4841_711_53816.jpeg

Now to ensure there are no others, and to figure out how they got in the truck.

I am haunted by waters

#2 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 October 2022 - 08:21 PM

Congratulations on one for the price of two with the traps

For several years now, we have been fighting mouse attacks in our vehicles. So far, no (discovered) wiring damage, but major cabin HVAC and engine air filter repairs. 

I have had to pay for replacing the cabin air filter,  replacing the AC/heating cabin fan that requires R&R the dash area, installing 1/8" hardware cloth on the outside air intake, cleaning up shredded napkins, paper towels, facial tissue, piles of sunflower seed hulls brought in from the bird feeder. Before a trip, I tossed an unopened bag of blue corn chips on the dash after 11:00 PM. It was opened and chips were strewn around the dash in the morning. No thank you notes were left, the ingrates!

Thus far, no entrance into the Hawk (knock, knock, knock).  However, relief has come from an unexpected source, the local John Deere dealer. They recommended  "Fresh Cab Rodent Repellent" which they sell and use at the local Pape dealer.

https://www.earthkin...dent-repellent/

The bags contain what appears to be sawdust saturated with Balsam Fir oil.  On hot days, the smell of  Balsam fir oil can be a little overwhelming, but I have adjusted to it and for the last 5 or 6 months, no more mice inside the cab. A bag lasts for several weeks before the smell diminishes significantly enough to replace the bag.

I had bought "Rodent Defense" spray and used it but it was not as effective as the bags.

My guess is that mice don't like camping in evergreen forests. either, but who knows?

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#3 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 October 2022 - 08:41 PM

Did you leave the keys within their reach?

Also, might be a nice source for light brown fine dubbing material for midge patterns?

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 07 October 2022 - 08:52 PM

Didn’t think of midge fly pattern, but could be useful for mouse fly patterns.  :) 

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 07 October 2022 - 10:08 PM

Didn’t think of midge fly pattern, but could be useful for mouse fly patterns.  :) 

Paul

With a bit of taxidermy skills. :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#6 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 07 October 2022 - 11:16 PM

It's like what they say about bears,DON'T LEAVE ANYTHING WITH A SMELL,

in your vehicle.

At least you got them before they got you.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#7 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 08 October 2022 - 01:43 AM

Success, a double dead mouse.  I have no idea how this happened

Steve, fortunately we have not experienced rodents in our vehicle. But at our previous home we occasionally had vole invasions in the yard. And I mean by the hundreds. Every morning we would have to fish the dozens of floaters out of the pool and empty our multitude of traps. At night we would hear the traps snapping. Occasionally one would get pinned but not killed. We could hear the trap dragging across the patio. But we had lines of traps all over, so eventually we would hear another snap and the dragging sound stopped. Thus, the two trap mouse.

Good luck with eliminating your mouse problems.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,568 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 04:27 AM

Update:  the current count is 3, the last 2 are simple 1 trap mice.

I think I need to find a different place to park.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,568 posts

Posted 08 October 2022 - 02:06 PM

Update to the update:  the count is now 5.  This one is a “twofer”.  From one mouse in two traps, we go to two mice in one trap.  Paul, I hope your repellent works, it’s supposed to be here Tuesday.

gallery_4841_711_156691.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#10 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 08 October 2022 - 02:17 PM

No love for rodents here. I've battled rats on and off. Never got a twofer. I've tried repellents for rats and its done nothing. Waste of time. Maybe you'll have more luck with mice. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users