Anyone heading to Baja?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 penner

penner

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 11:23 PM

Wondering if anyone is planning a Baja trip this winter? We are thinking of heading out there around mid Feb or so. The only other time we were there was 4-5yrs ago after we picked up our ATC. That trip we just went a little further south than Mulege but would likely go further down this time. I do remember it being awful windy in spots but maybe it was just the time of year. Would we be better going earlier or later? Also, I was reading the travel warnings for Baja the other day. Does that deter anyone from traveling there? Any info would be appreciated, thanks. 

#2 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 10 October 2022 - 11:25 PM

Wondering if anyone is planning a Baja trip this winter? We are thinking of heading out there around mid Feb or so. The only other time we were there was 4-5yrs ago after we picked up our ATC. That trip we just went a little further south than Mulege but would likely go further down this time. I do remember it being awful windy in spots but maybe it was just the time of year. Would we be better going earlier or later? Also, I was reading the travel warnings for Baja the other day. Does that deter anyone from traveling there? Any info would be appreciated, thanks. 

Possibly.  Starting to think about a winter trip down south.  Let's stay in touch!

#3 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 11 October 2022 - 04:12 AM

We are planning on a 3-4 week baja Feb trip.

Have several ideas if anyone wants to meet up.

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#4 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 11 October 2022 - 04:58 AM

I'd love to join up. Never been but its on my bucket list

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#5 Beate

Beate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 11 October 2022 - 09:53 AM

We wanted to do it for years now, but always hesitatet because we read such a lot of drug crime there. And as we always would stay in the wild we are a bit nervous not to come by chance between the lines of two enemy ganges. What do you think about these?

#6 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 11 October 2022 - 04:49 PM

Yes trouble can find you down there, but my experience in 2017 was great. I have also flown down to cabo a few times, and no problems.

That being said, i can understand folks being more comfortable in a group.

w

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#7 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,948 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 11 October 2022 - 06:57 PM

We are planning on a 3-4 week baja Feb trip.

Have several ideas if anyone wants to meet up.

w

How to you want to meetup?  There, or during the planning phase?  Zoom?

#8 WanderingBison

WanderingBison

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 11:13 PM

We will likely be there for a couple of months after Christmas so I’ll keep an eye on plans that take shape here, if you don’t mind ;)

We have travelled to Baja twice in the last five years and can’t recommend it enough … especially as it’s changing and it’s “resort”/“gringo” areas continue to grow.

We have seen it change since our first trip and this slice of paradise might not quite be the same in 5-10 years.

As for “danger”, we regularly visit Chicago and never give it a second thought (even if no travel advisories have ever been issued for Chicago … ;)) and while there are a few precautions to take, we have never felt scared or in danger.

Oh wait! No, NO, Baja is dangerous, the roads are treacherous and the locals don’t want us there …. And I’m sure the pandemic is worst than ever there :P

#9 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 12 October 2022 - 03:43 AM

How to you want to meetup?  There, or during the planning phase?  Zoom?

i'm up for whatever. anything ti get back down there right?

w

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#10 Beate

Beate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:33 AM

Oh wait! No, NO, Baja is dangerous, the roads are treacherous and the locals don’t want us there …. And I’m sure the pandemic is worst than ever there :P

Hahaha, I know such roads very well, we travelled there about 30 years ago, but with a small group and overnight in Hotels.

But if we go again we want to travel alone, with a 4x4-camper and staying overnight somewhere in the wild. And therefore I'm a bit afraid of encounter by chance a group of criminals. Maybe they want to hide there and are not so glad to meet tourists. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users