• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#11 Taku

Taku

Buffalo Rockface

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 02:01 AM

Another resounding maybe. We are likely going to be in Baja around Jan/Feb especially if our house sells we will certainly be south. Would be good to meet up with some fellow WTW folks!

2005 Tundra  2013 Ocelot    "Ridiculously comfortable"

2021 Tundra 2022 Cougar Shell Built Out  "Even more ridiculously comfortable"

#12 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 12:39 PM

For us there usually isn't a whole lot of planning involved, we tend to wing it a lot. Since we are both retired, well kinda, we travel at our own pace with not much of a schedule. I will be watching the forum to see who might be there because it would be nice to meet some of you . ( maybe even have a beer or 2,3,4, ??)

#13 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,000 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 16 October 2022 - 04:49 AM

What are your thoughts about dogs? Some of the guys leading trips say no dogs. Kind of a no go for me. 

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#14 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 11:20 AM

What are your thoughts about dogs? Some of the guys leading trips say no dogs. Kind of a no go for me. 

I couldn't imagine leaving your dog at home. Ours went everywhere with us.

#15 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 16 October 2022 - 03:16 PM

Our dates are now set, as she is flying in and out of San Diego to save vakay days. We are crossing via Mexicali on the 4th of Feb, and entering the US on the 25 of Feb. Had hoped for longer, but i was told to make it work.

We plan to hit mostly remote areas, not crazy 4x4 stuff, but there are lots of areas we didn't go last time do to a trailer.

No set plans yet, maybe Pete's the first night, easy, good food and showers.

We are thinking Cabo Pulmo for the 13th 14th and 15th, but that is as far as any dates go.

I am compiling a list of places, and now am putting the puzzle together.

I have a buddy that wants to join, part or all? Some folks have concerns about the border crossings, general security issues as well.

I get this, having people come and go as part of a loose group can help with these.

The last time we took our dog, he is now chasing Elvis, so no pooch for us this time, BUT, we love dogs, and have no issues with them.

Kinda like kids, they don't bite me, i don't bite them. 

Would love to brainstorm, zoom, meet in passing, old fashioned phone call any ideas.

Keep it loose, yet under control is my idea. 

Would be a great way to meet some folks on here, either down there, or pre trip.

In 2017, we spent about the same amount of time there, the crossings went fine, Be nice, remove your sunglasses, and remember you are a guest.

Know the laws, and DON"T break them, No drugs, guns, watch the speed, You better, because nobody else will.

I have not been in a situation where a bribe was asked for, but after talking to many people about this, i say no(mostly). Play dumb, and ask to follow them to the police station/headquarters. Otherwise, no situation is the same. Again, nice, polite, learn some spanish.

We had one minor incident, we were at Juncalito, late at nite and i hear my buddy yelling. i hopped off the bed, went down my steps,

and there was my buddy, bare as a babe having an animated conversation over our firewood stash, i started in as well, explained that yes it was a problem for us and that he should find his own. 

He decided that two naked gringos was too much, went and found his own, built his fire right in front of us and sang to his girlfriend.

Meanwhile our wifes  are wondering who exactly had lost th minds.

I could go on and on, but it's hard to type, i came down with Bells Palsey a month ago. So, my vision is a little wonky, and speech is even worse. My loved ones are enjoying the quiet.

Anyway, reach out if you like, i love WTW, this group has really helped me, hard to believe it's been 12 years. And Baja is to me the best part of Mexico. I love it's contrasts, the people have been awesome, the food, it's rawness is breathtaking. And it is accessible,

not crazy Nat Geo accessible but there. Do your homework, be honest about your comfort level. For me it's my wife. I would go there any time with a guy, or solo, but my wife is another matter. Her safety and comfort is priority one. Hence our rig "Ernie" it was designed with her comfort in mind. It's not an Earth Roamer, but she slept like a baby in an arctic storm at TUK, kept her groovy in Baja in 2017.

My point is, know your comfort level, be it terrain, remoteness, group size, borders etc. Be honest, about this, and work from there.

You may need to push your boundaries a bit, and that is great as well.

Spending a week at el requeson might really be heaven, (it was) or maybe some place in Todo Santos, even camping in Cabo San Lucas is an option. We fly down there every once in a while, so not sure if i would want to, but if i needed Tequila?

Baja remains.

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#16 penner

penner

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 06:02 PM

Wango. If we decide to make the trip it will probably be around the time you are there. Its 2500 miles from home to Mexicali so we probably wouldn't have a set day to cross. Would really like to see that flatbed of yours! 

#17 Wango

Wango

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • LocationOregon,Montana

Posted 17 October 2022 - 04:14 AM

Wango. If we decide to make the trip it will probably be around the time you are there. Its 2500 miles from home to Mexicali so we probably wouldn't have a set day to cross. Would really like to see that flatbed of yours! 

First round is on me!

w

... just average for a hill-billy...
2016 F350 cc, ATC Custom Flatbed

2022 AEV/Jeep JTRD

#18 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 17 October 2022 - 05:10 AM

Living the dream my friend.

Who knows?

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

#19 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 17 October 2022 - 10:23 PM

Pretty good chance that my gal and i will be making our first baja trip after thxgiving. back by christmas.  

check out prior posts.  occidental went last year for their first trip, and had an excellent time.

Oregon

#20 bajaphile

bajaphile

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationNCSD CA

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:53 PM

Heading down this weekend for a few weeks, going to "almost Cabo". 

Main highways are up and running post Hurricane Kay.... Still a lot of unmarked and some marked detours and washouts from what I've heard. I'm hoping some of the dirt roads that go out to some more scenic/less crowded areas are roughed up to deter some. 

I was luckily born and raised in SD to parents taking me down 100s of times growing up. I still make trips down 2-4 times a year. Things are appearing to swing back to being a bit more lawless unfortunately. From what I've been noticing, even the fishermen in the small camps are into meth these days. I've had a few "interesting" encounters including petty theft at night. Best to have a dog, a cheap motion sensor light (solar powered off Amazon) and keep everything locked up. 

2001 F350 V10 4x4 w/ 2003 FWC Hawk

1997 Toyota Land Cruiser 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users