32 replies to this topic

#1 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 18 October 2022 - 01:44 PM

I finally decided to take the plunge and move to a Mirrorless camera.  A Nikon Z7 II is on the way from Pro Photo (Portland), along with the kit 24-70/4 lens, and a F mount adapter.  My DSLRs somehow have grown heavier over the years, and not as much fun to carry.

I am curious to see what another 10 megapickles will do for image quality. 

I am haunted by waters

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 18 October 2022 - 06:11 PM

This looks like about the same size as your DSLR,is it?

How mush weight difference is there?

Wow 45+ MPs

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 18 October 2022 - 06:49 PM

Can you take pictures of yourself with a mirrorless camera? ;)

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 18 October 2022 - 06:50 PM

With 45 mp resolution, Steve will be able to zoom in far enough to identify parasites living in the tiny feathers around the eye of a hummingbird and still have an image too large to post on the forum.

Perhaps, I exaggerate a little.  :rolleyes:   However, paraphrasing a beer commercial of old,”Where you going with all those bits?”

Looking forward to more great wildlife & landscape photos.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 18 October 2022 - 07:57 PM

Enjoy your new toy tool Steve! May it lighten your load, put a spring in your step and reward you with lots of great memories!

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 18 October 2022 - 09:12 PM

Enjoy your new toy tool Steve! May it lighten your load, put a spring in your step and reward you with lots of great memories!

With 45 mp resolution, Steve will be able to zoom in far enough to identify parasites living in the tiny feathers around the eye of a hummingbird and still have an image too large to post on the forum.

Perhaps, I exaggerate a little.  :rolleyes:   However, paraphrasing a beer commercial of old,”Where you going with all those bits?”

Looking forward to more great wildlife & landscape photos.

Paul

Tony, Paul,

This looks like about the same size as your DSLR,is it?

How mush weight difference is there?

Wow 45+ MPs

Frank

Can you take pictures of yourself with a mirrorless camera? ;)

Thanks, everyone!  The spring in my step is muchly needed, as everything I own (including me) has gained significant weight.  I expect to experience a learning curve with respect to controls, ergonomics, and the electronic view finder and perhaps color settings.  Hopefully, I can somewhat master those in a relatively short time.

I am haunted by waters

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 18 October 2022 - 09:57 PM

Get at that learning curve Mr. Sage! Congrats on the new camera! :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#8 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,283 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 19 October 2022 - 12:40 AM

My Nikon A1000 has the electronic viewfinder and it took a few uses to get used to it.

If you are using the screen to see the subject and your head gets to close it switches to the electronic one.

Takes some getting used to.

Have fun.

Post some pics.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#9 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,315 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 19 October 2022 - 03:41 PM

I finally decided to take the plunge and move to a Mirrorless camera.  A Nikon Z7 II is on the way from Pro Photo (Portland), along with the kit 24-70/4 lens, and a F mount adapter.  My DSLRs somehow have grown heavier over the years, and not as much fun to carry.

I am curious to see what another 10 megapickles will do for image quality. 

I've been considering the Z6. Should I go for more megapickles? Is this like my old friend and car enthusiast always said, "There's no substitute for cubic inches?" :)

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#10 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,572 posts

Posted 19 October 2022 - 03:46 PM

I've been considering the Z6. Should I go for more megapickles? Is this like my old friend and car enthusiast always said, "There's no substitute for cubic inches?" :)

Monte, read reviews on the Z6.  The reviews I read (mostly from people moving to the Z7 II) were not flattering.

I believe the quote referred to cubic inches and money.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users