12 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:57 PM

Important changes to backcountry camping along Echo Canyon Road, Hole in the Wall Road, and Cottonwood/Marble Canyon.

Regulations and Information

• Free permits are required for roadside camping along Echo Canyon Road, Hole in the Wall Road, Cottonwood Canyon Road, and Marble Canyon Road. Camping in these areas is only allowed in designated sites with a free permit.
  • Free permits are required for overnight camping along the Cottonwood Canyon - Marble Canyon Loop.
  • Permits are recomended--but not required--for roadside camping and backpacking on other parts of the park.
  • Campfires are prohibited. Fire can only be made in established campgrounds with provided metal fire rings. Gathering wood is unlawful and burning of wood is not allowed in the backcountry. Campstoves and propane grills are allowed in all areas.
  • Group size is limited to 12 people and no more than 4 vehicles. Larger groups must split up and camp at least 1/2 mile apart.
  • Off-Road Driving is prohibited. The desert environment is extremely fragile and slow to recover from vehicle damage. If pulling off a road to camp, choose a place that has already been disturbed.
  • Pets are permitted ONLY in developed areas and on park roads. They must be leashed and restrained at all times. Owners are responsible for clean-up of pet feces. Pets are NOT allowed off roads, on trails, or in the wilderness areas of the park.

Permit can be obtained the same day or one day in advance in person at the Furnace Creek Visitors Center or the Stovepipe Wells Ranger Station during regular business hours.

More information - DVNP Backcountry Camping

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 lqhikers

lqhikers

• Members
  • 594 posts
  • Locationla quinta calif

Posted 20 October 2022 - 05:26 PM

looks to me that it is another way to limit use.

If you can get a campfire permit on line it would seem to me a camp permit on line 

should also be possible.

Les,lqhikers

#3 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 564 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 20 October 2022 - 05:54 PM

It looks like their backcountry map hasn't been changed to reflect this. For example, Hole in the Wall Rd doesn't show anything similar to the yellow-marked areas on the rest of the map. Maybe that's coming soon.

https://www.nps.gov/...Access-map_.pdf

We, as relatively new truck campers (just a few years), are part of the explosion of dispersed camping. This has happened in many backpacking areas that we used to frequent. Then again, we aren't crowding those hiking destinations any more!

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,338 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 20 October 2022 - 06:11 PM

Since we've been dispersed camping in DVNP for many years, we see that this change in regulations was inevitable and should, I hope, have positive aspects. Human waste, over use, illegal cross country driving, illegal campfires need to be controlled. No need to go into the horror stories of what we've seen over the years.

Echo, Hole in the Wall, and Cottonwood/Marble are currently closed because of the recent flooding. I expect, with the road repair, NPS is working on marking the new designated sites prior to reopening. I expect that signage is going up at the entrances to these routes. Again, I sure hope so.

Since these regulations are new, I can understand the in person requirement. Perhaps it will be appropriate some time in the future to offer online permits. I don't like change as much as the next person, but if this helps end the abuse taking place in the Park's backcountry. I support it.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 20 October 2022 - 09:05 PM

Seems reasonable.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#6 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 20 October 2022 - 10:51 PM

We've been backcountry dispersed camping in DV for decades, the last seven years in our Hawk. I must admit that we haven't been to any of these roads recently, frankly, because they've become too crowded and overused. So on one hand I think this is a great thing. On the other hand I am concerned that once these areas are successfully regulated that the same rules will be applied to many other dispersed areas of the park which will inevitably be absorbing former users of the now regulated roads. It is a slippery slope indeed....

On our recent trip to Michigan's UP we saw some of this in action. In at least one NF there they have made every campground and now every frequently used dispersed camping site available only thru recreation.gov (or as we started calling it, recreation.ripoff.) They have intentionally changed the nomenclature from "dispersed" to "designated." Even sites that had no toilet, picnic table or even a fire ring were handled through the website. That included sites that were only big enough for one vehicle deep in the woods.

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#7 daverave

daverave

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 21 October 2022 - 12:48 AM

Attached is a photo of the sign at one of the remote dispersed/designated camp sites, big enough for just one vehicle that I referenced above. Of course deep in the woods it is often impossible to get a good enough signal to even log into recreation.gov so the unplanned, spontaneous camping that we like to do is being phased out by gov't edict. Later when we got a decent signal I discovered that the site could not be reserved because it was closed for the season. No indication of that on-site.

Sorry for the semi-thread hijack ;-)

Attached Thumbnails

• SIGN.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...tos/da_edwards/

Instagram removed my account because I couldn't prove I was over 13 y.o. :unsure:

#8 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 21 October 2022 - 02:39 AM

Pogo: we have met the enemy and he is us.

Just too many people doing what us old farts loved to do. We are seeing the USFS and NPS cure for the problem.

• First, restrict the dispersed camping.
  • Second, require reservation for the dispersed camping.
  • Third, install campgrounds to "improve" the camping experience.
  • Fourth improve the roads so class A motorhomes can access what was 4x4 dispersed camping.
  • Fifth, remove campsites when the campgrounds get over used because they are now easy to access.

Enjoy and take care of what you have while you have it. It is going away.  Apps like IOverlander and the like are part of the problem. 

I have no answer. 

#9 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,382 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 22 October 2022 - 01:42 PM

Pogo: we have met the enemy and he is us.

Just too many people doing what us old farts loved to do. We are seeing the USFS and NPS cure for the problem.

• First, restrict the dispersed camping.
  • Second, require reservation for the dispersed camping.
  • Third, install campgrounds to "improve" the camping experience.
  • Fourth improve the roads so class A motorhomes can access what was 4x4 dispersed camping.
  • Fifth, remove campsites when the campgrounds get over used because they are now easy to access.

Enjoy and take care of what you have while you have it. It is going away.  Apps like IOverlander and the like are part of the problem. 

I have no answer. 

Bill,

I am not sure I agree with your assessments as I like to disperse camp because it gives me freedom from having to plan my route exactly and gives me freedom.  Having to make reservations becomes a process of 'click and win' BUT I agree that it would restrict and control crowds. I don't want to camp in designated campgrounds (we do that but not necessary in DV),  I'm not sure what remove campsites at overused really means but wouldn't that just push more people to other areas.  

I definately don't think adding more roads helps the overused despersed camping.  I personally don't want Class A motorhomes out there with generators running, etc.

Can you elaborate your recommendation OR are you being sacastic? :-)

Edited by kmcintyre, 22 October 2022 - 01:44 PM.

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#10 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,197 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 22 October 2022 - 04:15 PM

If you explore the western US and you have a 4x4 and are self sufficient, there is no lack of dispersed camping on public lands. The recent surge of 'new campers' prompted by the pandemic seems to be waning. On a recent 3 week wander to eastern Nevada, central and southern Utah we had only one sighting of a full campground -- that was Goblin Valley. Otherwise the times we tried campgrounds we had no issues finding good locations and had the pick of which site we wanted (Angel Lake, Angel Creek, Cave Lake, Great Basin NP, Castle Rocks, Lamoille Canyon, Lonesome Beaver.) When we wanted to boondock (2/3 of the trip), we had no issues with finding remote beautiful spots with no neighbors within sight or hearing.

We have a growing population in the US, very capable vehicles, readily available satellite imagery, many backcountry vloggers and gps enabled map apps, making it inevitable we will see more people poking into the remote areas. The alternative to land management, with all its' drawbacks, is land neglect, which has a host of problems and too often leads to destruction of the very places people love to go to retreat from the ills of being overcivilized. 

I noticed most of the places we like to go boondocking in DVNP are not included in the new permitting restrictions. It is a very big park. 

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users