#1 Cowgirl in Mt

Cowgirl in Mt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 20 October 2022 - 09:32 PM

Hello Fellow Alaskan owners!

I have a 2000 10 foot CO Alaskan. I am replacing my battery with a Renogy 12v 100ah Smart Lithuim Iron phosphate battery, a 1000 watt inverter and a 30A dc to dc Mppt battery charger. Has anyone else done something like this combo and how did you configure them in the camper? I want to get an 100W solar panel in the future. Did you upgrade the fuse panel that comes with the camper also?

Any pictures or advice would be helpful. TIA

Renogy 1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Solar Inverter Power Battery Converter

Renogy 12V 100Ah Smart Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery

Renogy 30A Dual Input DC-DC MPPT Battery Charger Required 40A Fuse

#2 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 20 October 2022 - 11:12 PM

I did a Renogy dual input 30A controller to a 100 Ah LiFePO4 install in September - with no provision for an AC inverter.   My build reflects my preferences to keep all my components in one location.  The solar panel is rated at 175 watts.

* Note the addition of a couple of circuit breakers to isolate the house battery and solar panel from the wiring panel. 

* The 40 amp mini-ANL fuse is located between the Renogy positive output and my positive bus bar.

Shown below are images - one before the installation of the battery box and a second of the final build.

Attached Files

Andrew in Austin, TX

#3 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 20 October 2022 - 11:13 PM

The above install is in an ATC Bobcat - which does not have an abundance of interior space.

One other point - my install uses #6 gauge wires from the battery to the bus bars - in theory a 700 watt DC to AC inverter could be installed, if the wires to the bus bars were kept to about a couple of feet in length.

Edited by TacomaAustin, 20 October 2022 - 11:26 PM.

Andrew in Austin, TX

#4 Cowgirl in Mt

Cowgirl in Mt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 20 October 2022 - 11:56 PM

Thanks, does the Renogy MPPT have an automatic transfer switch for when you are plugged into shore power?  And are those two switches on the back above the fuse that say Battery and PV Solar?

#5 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 21 October 2022 - 12:13 AM

And are those two switches on the back above the fuse that say Battery and PV Solar?

Those two add-on circuit breakers are of my own choosing.  They are not part of any Renogy schematic.  Only the 40 amp fuse is mandatory. 

Not shown is 50 amp circuit breaker that connected to the other end of the dirty white/gray positive wire which leads to my truck's starter battery. The 50 amp breaker is located about a foot and a half from the truck battery. Either a fuse or a circuit break is needed to protect the truck battery.

Good question regarding to the Renogy controller having an automatic transfer switch when plugged into shore power.  My answer would is no. 

Andrew in Austin, TX

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alaskan camper, Lithium Iron Phosphate, Renogy, Solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users