15 replies to this topic

#1 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 October 2022 - 01:31 AM

Question?   I have 2017 tundra, 4wh, tow package.  Would you go with hellwig progressive helper springs & swaybar, or airbags, or some other set up, like Summo springs.  The reason I ask, I went this week to find the cost of having the helper springs and sway bar put on.  THE Man said I may be happier with just using air bags.  This would fit the requirements of the hellwigs and not be as stiff of a ride.

So some ideals here before I make a decision.  I have 4wh camper Hawk with 20gal. water. heater, & fridge.

Edited by adrian, 22 October 2022 - 01:58 AM.

#2 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 22 October 2022 - 02:25 AM

I think I'm one of the few here who enjoy the black Sumosprings. Very simple, inexpensive, no fuss. I think it only took me 20 minutes to install, and most of that was borrowing the right tools.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#3 penner

penner

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 October 2022 - 11:48 AM

I travel fairly light with an ATC Ocelot shell and used Timbrens for the first 3 yrs I had our camper. Found the ride kinda rough so this past spring I installed some air bags before our summer trip to Alaska. All I can tell you is I should have went with the bags from the start. I can't imagine what the Dempster,McCarthy Rd and some of the other roads we traveled would have been like without the bags. Our camper is only on for 3-4 months a year so I didn't want to go with the spring pack. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway. 

#4 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 22 October 2022 - 12:52 PM

I have a 2007 Tundra 4WD Dbl cab with a Hawk shell so not too heavy. I have had Firestone airbags for the last two years. Traveled hi ways at 80mph and some pretty darn rough 4X trails. They have worked great. I like that I can adjust to air for how much I am loaded and decrease when I get home for a more stock like ride.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#5 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 22 October 2022 - 02:08 PM

I went with add a leaf(super springs) and was pleased with their performance but would go with full HD spring packs if I did it again. If the camper isn't going to be on full time you might want to consider air bags to eliminate the stiff ride when running empty. Having said that, camper is on a 3/4 ton now. Don't forget the HD shocks too.

#6 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 01:06 AM

I travel fairly light with an ATC Ocelot shell and used Timbrens for the first 3 yrs I had our camper. Found the ride kinda rough so this past spring I installed some air bags before our summer trip to Alaska. All I can tell you is I should have went with the bags from the start. I can't imagine what the Dempster,McCarthy Rd and some of the other roads we traveled would have been like without the bags. Our camper is only on for 3-4 months a year so I didn't want to go with the spring pack. Thats my 2 cents worth anyway. 

Thank you for your input.

#7 JHanson

JHanson

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • LocationTucson and Fairbanks

Posted 23 October 2022 - 01:52 PM

Adrian, if you remove the camper between trips, air bags are the only way to maintain a decent ride and support both loaded and unloaded. If the camper stays on all the time, a custom spring pack matched to the weight is the very best way to maintain proper ride height and compliance, with air bags second. The Hellwigs are okay but be aware that those and other add-on spring packs can induce stress risers. I don't like Sumo springs and similar devices, which are little more than glorified bump stops and reduce compliance.

#8 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,193 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 23 October 2022 - 02:25 PM

I have a 2007 Tundra 4WD Dbl cab with a Hawk shell so not too heavy. I have had Firestone airbags for the last two years. Traveled hi ways at 80mph and some pretty darn rough 4X trails. They have worked great. I like that I can adjust to air for how much I am loaded and decrease when I get home for a more stock like ride.

This is what we do on our 2019 Tundra with a Hawk.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#9 adrian

adrian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 05:16 PM

Thanks to all who answer my question.  One more, a man I met this summer had put Summo spring on the front of his truck while having work done on the back.  His reason he hope to add wench and bumper at a later date.  What do all of you think of this set-up?  Will this work or would something else work better?

#10 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 23 October 2022 - 06:35 PM

It depends on how heavy the wench and bumper are. On our truck, all the camper weight is on the rear axle, and the front axle has the same load with or without the camper.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users