#1 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 02:27 AM

Hi Everyone,

Im new to the forum, but I’ve been reading for the last year or so.  First of all, great site and you all really helped me make some decisions. Without boring you with my story, I’ll just say that my journey started about six years ago with an interest in truck campers and gettin out on the open road. Been traveling for work internationally and now I want to give my beautiful country the attention it deserves.

About three years ago bought a Ram 2500 6.4L with about 2900 lb payload. It’s a beast and I love it but I am pretty limited on TCs if I don’t want to push it to the limit. That leads me to where I am today because about a month ago I took delivery of a brand new Hawk Side Dinette. It’s fantastic, leaves me headroom for payload and my wife loves it as well. 

Couple things I’m still learning and struggling to understand though.  The Furnace and learning how to use my fridge better so it doesn’t eat up my battery.

For the fridge, At the beach with sun I’m cool and it gets plenty of power. But recently camped at elevation with too much shade and I saw my battery voltmeter dropping below 12.6 first night.  I thought that you didn’t want to get that low so I just shut the fridge off and we used coolers for the most part. I’m setup with a 160w Solar panel and 2x6 volt batteries and was looking into a portable solar panel for the next time. What am I doing wrong here?  FYI, I did charge for a couple nights on shore power and I put cold drinks inside to start the weekend, but seems like I ran out of juice too quickly. 

Next is the furnace.  I stayed warm with the thermal pack but I tried putting the furnace on and all it was doing was spitting out cold air. No idea what I’m doing here lol, i ran the stove burners on to get air out of the lines, I put up to 72 degrees on the thermostat, waited a couple minutes to see if warm air would blow but I got nothing. So I just said screw it we can just bundle up which worked fine. Again, what am I doing wrong here. 

Here’s my options:

isotherm 85 ac/dc

Flush stove and fridge

no AC

side dinette

furnace

outside shower

tankless water heater

king bed 

This thing is awesome and I can’t wait to get it out on the road for longer trips soon, but what do some of you more experienced guys think of the two situations I had?  

RallyRock

709A3A4A-B832-42A9-8579-824746DEFBC2.jpeg

Edited by RallyRock, 23 October 2022 - 02:30 AM.

#2 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 01:35 PM

Hey RallyRock,

Welcome to the forum.  Your rig looks very nice - I expect you'll have lots of great adventures in it.  I can relate to the learning curve you're going through.  When I need a good laugh, I just think back to the first cold, clueless night in my camper.  I made a lot of rookie errors.

A few thoughts:  at best, using the battery voltage as a measure of state of charge is good as a approximate indicator, particularly if you're only measuring with a precision of a tenth of a volt.  It also depends on whether you're measuring the voltage at open-circuit or under load - best to measure open circult (no load) so that the internal resistance of the battery doesn't drop any voltage.  A lot of campers add a battery monitor like a Victron or Trimetric that monitors the current leaving the battery.   Since you program the monitor for the capacity of your battery in Ahr, it tells you directly how much charge you have left.

Having said that, 12.6 volts doesn't sound all that low.  I think that corresponds to somewhere from 80 to 90% charge in an AGM battery,  You didn't mention what your total battery capacity was in Ahr, but the Isoltherm 85 draws about 4 A when the compressor runs.   If you have 100 Ahr of battery capacity, then having the compressor run a total of 2.5 hours over the course of the night would drop the battery down to 90% charge.

Unless it was pretty warm where you were, two and a half hours of compressor use sounds like a lot.  However, the fan inside the furnace also draws a lot of current when it runs.  I don't remember exactly what the current draw is, but it's similar to the Isotherm fridge.   So if the furnace fan ran a lot because you weren't getting hot air, that would certainly pull the battery down a lot.

As far as the furnace goes, there are many, many posts on this forum about troubleshooting that, so a search might be in order.  If your furnace woes occurred at high elevation, you would probably suspect the sail switch.  There's a good video on the FWC support web pages about troubleshooting the furnace.   Most often, a quick fix is removing the flex hose behind the furnace grill.

Another thing to be aware of is that the gas regulator for the propane has a safety feature that throttles back gas flow if it experiences a sudden drop in gas pressure that could occur from a broken gas line.  If you open the valve on the top of the propane bottle too rapidly, it'll trigger that safety feature.  To clear it, you need to shut the valve on the tank, remove the fitting from the tank (to relieve any pressure in the line in order to allow the safety valve to reset), reconnect the fitting to the tank, and then open the tank valve slowly.  Possibly insufficient gas flow due to a triggered safety cut-out might have prevented the furnace from operating properly.

Hope this helps.  I expect that you'll get a lot of other helpful suggestions.

- Rusty

Edited by NRVhawk, 23 October 2022 - 01:36 PM.

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#3 NRVhawk

NRVhawk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 02:02 PM

RalleyRock -

One more thought:    There's no hard and fast rule that says that you shouldn't run an AGM battery below a specific state of charge. 

I remember an informative, thoughtful post by rando a few years ago that pointed out that there is a tradeoff between depth of discharge and lifetime (at least for an AGM battery).  The basic idea, much better explained by rando and with data, was that if you consistently draw your battery down to something like 75% state of charge, you can expect a certain number of charge cycles before the battery dies.  

If you consistently draw you battery down to 50% SOC, you'll get a different number of cycles over the lifetime, and that number will be less than what you get at consistent 75% drawdown.  

So the tradeoff rando suggested was that you might be willing to accept routinely discharging the battery more deeply if you're willing to budget more frequent battery replacements, or if you only use your camper a few times a year.

My apologies to rando for mangling his explanation.  I tried searching for it so that I could link to it, but there are so many posts on batteries (including posts by rando) that I couldn't find it.  But it certainly opened my eyes and made me a lot less AR about having to occasionally draw my AGM  battery down more than usual if I needed to.  Last year I made the conversion to LiFePO4 and have been very happy with that with over 60 days of camping so far.

- Rusty

Rusty

New River Valley, VA

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 23 October 2022 - 02:04 PM

RallyRock, welcome to Wander the West!  I think Rusty is correct.  It seems that getting the furnace to light and stay lighted is plaguing a number of folks, and there are multiple threads on the topic.

Our search engine isn’t always helpful, but Google can help find topics.  Try searching with a Google search similar to this:  site: wander the west.com “furnace won’t light”.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Mighty Dodge Ram

Mighty Dodge Ram

• Members
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationClose to the edge...

Posted 23 October 2022 - 03:04 PM

Good advice re: the battery monitor. I’d be surprised if your 6v batteries ran out of power that soon. They’re typically golf cart style deep cycle and designed to be drawn down. I have the same batteries in a 32’ motorhome and I’ve never run them down beyond usable power…no solar. 

Edited by Mighty Dodge Ram, 24 October 2022 - 02:51 PM.

Richard
1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, lightly lifted, ARB bumper/Warn winch, BFG AT/KO2, Snugtop shell. SOLD! But not forgotten!
2002 Chevy 2500HD XC LB 6.0L 4X4, Leer Hi-Rise shell, completely stock...for now!

#6 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 04:32 PM

Hello Sagebrush and Rusty. Thanks for the welcome and your thoughts. I have already learned my first lesson, make sure the damn fridge is closed and latched before driving away…. Thank God none of the cans in there exploded as they flew across the camper and thank God I kept my back window open so I can look curiously at a door hanging open not 5 minutes after I drove away. Also upgraded my tiny step stool to a Little giant three stepper. It’s awesome. Other than that it’s been pretty smooth sailing apart from a couple minor things here but can’t wait to put some more stories on the camper. 

I’m busy diving into my owners manuals and I notice that theres nothing on the battery capacity. All I know is it’s 2x6v. I’ll have to open up the compartment and get a better look.  I thought about lithium but I’m waiting for solid state batteries to penetrate the market before making any significant investment there. For now I’ll just grab an extra Solar panel and be energy conscious.  For the fridge, just looking at the manual it says it consumes about 380 watts/24hr but man I need to understand these formulas better. I get that somehow you know it’s 4A power draw and I trust it’s close enough and I just need to see how big the batteries are to estimate how much room I have to work with. 

I was definitely looking at the voltmeter under load. Just so I’m sure what you mean, are you saying turn everything off and then see what that number shows as a better indicator?  If that’s the case then yeah I was being too conservative!  I was thinking 80% loaded which is 12.6 volts starts to degrade the battery so I was trying to stay above that. However, sounds like more of a battery life thing and not so much of a battery getting acutely damaged beyond normal use. It makes sense what you wrote about rando, I think I need to brush up on my electrical knowledge. I can put Teflon tape over fittings, screw in a screw, hammer a nail and run a table saw, but electricity isn’t my trade lol. If you do run into that post though please let me know!

As for the furnace, I was told by the dealer to just pull that ducting out if the furnace gives me crap (in so many words).  I’ll give that a try and in the meantime check the sail switch and go through the steps you mentioned.  Sounds like everything I need has already been posted so I’ll do more diving through the forum and it’ll be a good way to start learning the little things. 

I’m not really concerned something is wrong with the camper, mostly just trying to understand how things work and introducing myself, tons of fun!  You know you made a good choice when the wifey loves the camper as much as you do;)  Anyway, thanks again for the welcome and input, if you think of any other good places to start let me know!

#7 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 04:39 PM

Good advice re: the battery monitor. I’d be surprised if your 6v batteries ran out of power that soon. They’re typically golf cart style deep cycle and designed tone drawn down. I have the same batteries in a 32’ motorhome and I’ve never run them down beyond usable power…no solar. 

Yeah, I had a feeling I was just being cautious but thought I’d ask before I went too far down the rabbit hole. So there’s a Blue Sea meter that came with the camper. Not the solar indicator, the one next to the charge ports. Isn’t that a battery monitor?

#8 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 23 October 2022 - 06:23 PM

Yeah, I had a feeling I was just being cautious but thought I’d ask before I went too far down the rabbit hole. So there’s a Blue Sea meter that came with the camper. Not the solar indicator, the one next to the charge ports. Isn’t that a battery monitor?

Most likely that is just a battery gauge that just shows what the voltage is currently.  Here is a link to the Victron 712 battery monitor that will show you better what the current state of your battery is.

https://www.victrone...s/bmv-712-smart

Don't forget your camper is new and have 100 percent support and repairs through FWC for things that are not working for you.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#9 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 October 2022 - 07:31 PM

Thanks pvstoy!  I’ll have a look at that. 

I think I’ll keep an eye on the furnace to see if I need to bring it in but hopefully not. Thanks for reminding me that point though, no doubt if I feel like something isn’t right I’ll give them a shout. They are solid from my dealings with them so far. 

#10 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,287 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 23 October 2022 - 08:04 PM

Welcome to the cult,also.

I have had issues with the heater at times.

There are times it takes a few tries to get it to throw out the heat.

Sometimes it's just easier to run the stove for a few minutes.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users