3 replies to this topic

#1 Cowgirl in Mt

Cowgirl in Mt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationTacoma, WA

Posted 26 October 2022 - 11:55 PM

I want to upgrade my 2000 CO to eventually have solar 100W, I'm getting a 100w 12V Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery, a 1000w inverter and a 30amp dc to dc charger MPPT all Renogy components.  I guess I will also need some sort of Automatic Transfer Switch.  

Does anyone have wiring diagrams from a newer Alaskan that was originally built with a system like this? Or any pictures of where you put components in the camper?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 27 October 2022 - 01:07 AM

Have you visited/talked to the factory?  They’re not to far from Tacoma.  Bryan Wheat and Rick seemed pretty easy to chat with.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:39 AM

I want to upgrade my 2000 CO to eventually have solar 100W, I'm getting a 100w 12V Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery, a 1000w inverter and a 30amp dc to dc charger MPPT all Renogy components.  I guess I will also need some sort of Automatic Transfer Switch.  

Does anyone have wiring diagrams from a newer Alaskan that was originally built with a system like this? Or any pictures of where you put components in the camper?

100W of solar is pretty small.  Ideally, you want 2 to 3 or even more solar watts than battery AH.  360W glass/aluminum commercial solar panels are quite inexpensive these days.  

You don't really need a transfer switch.  I run everything off of DC, and if I need more power, just plug in to shore power which charges my batteries (no direct connection to AC outlets in the camper).  My inverter changes the 12v to 120v for me.

#4 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 28 October 2022 - 05:45 PM

I second Vic's recommendation to put the largest solar panel that will fit on your camper.   

Most campers will appreciate having over 300 W of solar, particularly if running an inverter.

The weight of a single large panel is less than combinations of smaller panels and the cost is usually less too.  A 360 W panel can be purchased for about $300 depending on brand.  I chose LG and it was about $330.

I hope this is helpful,

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alaskan, Truck Camper, electrical upgrade, Renogy, Solar

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users