11 replies to this topic

#1 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts
  • LocationSierra Nevada Range

Posted 28 October 2022 - 03:37 PM

After over 9 years of raising and lowering the top of our camper, one of the wires has suffered a break and I do not have solar current running to the charge controller. Thus far, the only thing I've done is determine that is the culprit.

Before I tackle this repair work - good news is I get to lay down on the job - I want to solicit everyone's thoughts on how to best handle the constant flexing/bending of these wires at the lift panel hinge.

I've helped others with this repair but it is good to check out the collective wisdom of this group for the best solution.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 28 October 2022 - 06:41 PM

My 2¢ worth.  Run the wires through a very soft, flexible conduit.  Maybe something like aquarium tubing.  Second thought is to take cookies to Marty and the ‘ads to get their thoughts/insights.

I am haunted by waters

#3 camelracer

camelracer

• Members
  • 960 posts
  • LocationGoleta, Ca

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:12 PM

I had to fix those wires on my FWC camper years ago. The problem I found with the original wiring was that it was stiff jacketed low strand count wire that should only be used for static home construction. I replaced it with the most pliable wire I could find with a high strand count. I think I made the loops behind the lift panels slightly longer than stock.

2002 Fiat 2500 CTD 4x4, FWC Grandby 1951 Willys CJ3A

#4 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:21 PM

I had to fix those wires on my FWC camper years ago. The problem I found with the original wiring was that it was stiff jacketed low strand count wire that should only be used for static home construction. I replaced it with the most pliable wire I could find with a high strand count. I think I made the loops behind the lift panels slightly longer than stock.

Yes, Marty installed 10awg with a loop at the hinge. The wire is now quite stiff. I have marine grade to replace with.

2003 Ford Ranger FX4 Level II 2013 ATC Bobcat SE "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years."- Abraham Lincoln  http://ski3pin.blogspot.com/

#5 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,895 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 28 October 2022 - 09:01 PM

I accept cookies as payment!   :P

I wonder about re-inventing the wheel.  Monte, how many times have you raised/lowered the top before those wire broke?  A longish time and many uses, so why not just replace with what was there?

Other than that, I'd use marine grade multi-strand wire that is designed for flexing.

Vic

#6 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 11:10 PM

I accept cookies as payment!   :P

I wonder about re-inventing the wheel.  Monte, how many times have you raised/lowered the top before those wire broke?  A longish time and many uses, so why not just replace with what was there?

Other than that, I'd use marine grade multi-strand wire that is designed for flexing.

Vic

And I'm smelling the cookies that Julie just took out of the oven. You have figured out why we need to hike so much, right?

I'll splice in new flexible marine grade in the morning with a loop. I'll get a good look at the old wire after I cut them out.

Addition: I wondered why it smelled so good in the house. There was a pumpkin pie in the oven too. :)

Edited by ski3pin, 29 October 2022 - 12:01 AM.
updated with the pie

#7 ski3pin

ski3pin

Belay On

• Site Team
  • 15,252 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 09:55 PM

Here is what I found doing this repair today. The wires were not broken at the middle lift panel hinge. The positive's wire insulation was abraded though.

The issue was this. Both wires were broken where the wires were routed under the lower edge of the lift panel.

Camper-Solar-Wires-Oct2022-001-copy.webp

Camper-Solar-Wires-Oct2022-003-copy.webp

ATC's norm is to use 12awg for the solar panel wires. Marty installed 10awg at my request. It took 9 years and many many top raising and lowering to cut these larger wires. I looped around the lift panels with new marine grade wire.

Camper-Solar-Wires-Oct2022-004-copy.webp

All is good. Solar panel current is again reaching the charge controller. If I find a problem with how I've looped around the bottom of the panel, I'll drill a half inch hole in the panel, install a grommet, and run the wires through.

The difficult part of the project was removing the 9 year old gorilla tape over the wires on the back side of the panels.

#8 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:09 PM

Yaay! That feeling of a job well done! Nothing beats it,

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#9 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 29 October 2022 - 11:32 PM

YIB (why I be) surprised!  I thought for sure if would be at the middle hinge.  Nice work Mr 3Pin!

I am haunted by waters

#10 TacomaAustin

TacomaAustin

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 30 October 2022 - 12:26 AM

Camper-Solar-Wires-Oct2022-004-copy.webp

All is good. Solar panel current is again reaching the charge controller. If I find a problem with how I've looped around the bottom of the panel, I'll drill a half inch hole in the panel, install a grommet, and run the wires through.

The difficult part of the project was removing the 9 year old gorilla tape over the wires on the back side of the panels.

As far as I know, my 2007 ATC Bobcat was not wired for solar. For the wiring behind the front lift panel I used super flexible #10 gauge silicone wire - which has many more strands than what the RV industry uses.

On a side note:  I noticed that the black wire for the ceiling lights was cracked and exposed in the same spot that your solar panel wire is located - but on the driver's side of the camper.

Andrew in Austin, TX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users