2 replies to this topic

#1 scoutbrewer

scoutbrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 05:47 PM

I got two 100 watt renogy panels I am planning on installing to rhino tracks I bought. I am concerned on where to drill through the roof for the wire panel. Anyone got recommendations on where I should attach this and why? I am planning on have the cabinets on the driver side with a roll over couch. Open plan for now though. Thanks

#2 ckent323

ckent323

• Members
  • 1,215 posts
  • LocationSolvang, CA

Posted 29 October 2022 - 06:29 PM

What year and model camper do you have?

Some FWC campers made from about 2006 - 2009 were prewired for solar.   

Many, if not most FWC campers were prewired for solar after about 2009 - 2011.

If your camper is 2006 or newer contact FWC, give them your camper serial number and ask if your camper was prewired for solar and where you can find the wires (location varied build year to build year).

If your camper is older than 2006 then a good place to enter the roof is near the over bed roof vent (particularly if it is powered). 

With top down get on a ladder and press on the roof metal.  It is thin enough that you should be able to feel where the Aluminum roof rafters are and if there are wires you should be able to feel them as well.  

I found a place above the support board that runs from side to side where the lift board attaches.  I removed the board, carefully measured inside and out to find the location on the roof that was where I wanted the hole to be inside (be sure to account for the thickness of the sides of the camper) and then pilot drilled down through the roof and headliner. 

I carefully cut the headliner material in a way that I could access about a 3" x 3" or so area but be able to bond it back together when the job was done. I carefully cut away some of the the Styrofoam insulation (Use a sharp blade and cut slowly because it breaks and crumbles easily) and then drilled a hole down from the roof large enough to accommodate the solar wires (They are stiff).  As I recall it was 3/4" dia. I bought a rubber grommet to put in the hole to cover the sharp metal edges so they could not cut into the solar cables over time. 

I used a GoPower roof entry gland with MC4 connector mounts, fed the cable through it and down into the camper roof through the grommet into the ceiling then I carefully screwed the gland to the roof and sealed underneath it as well as all around the perimeter and over the screw heads with 3M 4200. 

I installed a small 2x2 junction box in the ceiling where I could connect the solar cables to the wires that were already in the camper.  The wires routed forward and down the center to left side of the front lift panel (where the wires for the power front roof vent run).

I patched the headliner with a vinyl repair kit and reinstalled the board.  The board hides the cut and repair location in the headliner.

See posts "19 and #20 at the following link:

https://www.wanderth...keystone solar

I hoe this is helpful.

Craig

1993 Dodge Cummins W-250 Club Cab long bed, 2007 FWC Keystone

#3 scoutbrewer

scoutbrewer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 07:04 PM

My camper is an 1983 scout model. came off an international scout one vent, gonna install the tracks. I was thinking of putting both panels in front of the vent and installing the pass thru near the vent.Thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solar, scout, bronco, blazer, grandby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users