• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 02 November 2022 - 02:23 AM

I have had amazing results from VMAX AGM batteries. I have a set of 155ah that were in my camper for 5 years then moved  to my off grid cabin for the last 5 years. 10 years old and still running strong. I never let them get below 50% ever. I have also used VMAX in several boats as a trolling motor power supply. Again, great results and they respond quite well to solar charging. 

Free shipping from the big A is a bonus as they are quite heavy.

Edited by Cpt Davenport, 02 November 2022 - 02:24 AM.

#12 craig333

craig333

Riley's Human

• Members
  • 8,014 posts
  • LocationSacramento

Posted 02 November 2022 - 05:38 AM

I'll second the vmax. I didn't even want to mention I had chinese batteries for years before I decided they were good batts. Free shipping for something that heavy really sold me. 

Eight years later I'm starting to see some degradation. Taking a bit longer to charge now.

Craig K6JGV_________________________ 2004 2500 CTD 4X4 FWC HAWK 1960 CJ5

#13 JWL

JWL

• Members
  • 295 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 November 2022 - 01:11 PM

I have never been happy with my Deka (stock) battery from day one. My camper was built during the first Covid shutdown and I’m assuming the battery was left discharged or something so it never rested at a full charge. So after 2 years I’m think about replacing as well.

But I have to ask. With the price of Lithium batteries going down and in some cases the same as the better AGM’s listed Here, why not go Lithium. I used to be concerned about the wiring issues etc but after reading KP’s Manifesto?? It just seems the positives far outweigh the negatives.

2007 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab

2020 Hawk Shell

#14 dennis 221

dennis 221

• Members
  • 385 posts

Posted 03 November 2022 - 11:54 AM

So which 75 ah VMAX AGM ?? they have lots of them listed..they look like a good option. Thanks

#15 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 647 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 03 November 2022 - 01:41 PM

So which 75 ah VMAX AGM ?? they have lots of them listed..they look like a good option. Thanks

In my opinion, a 75ah AGM has insufficient storage capacity for our rigs with only 37.5ah of usable power. I would recommend getting the largest 12v (or combo of 6v) ah battery you can fit, also remember that they are super heavy. 

I know you mentioned not wanting lithium (perhaps due to charging issues in below freezing temps?), but here is a quick weight to power comparison between my previous set up and current system.

Amazon a pair of 155ah AGM run $600 and have a combined weight of 180lbs with a usable 155ah of juice.

Amazon single 206ah lithium is $1029 and weighs in at 47.6lbs with a full 206ah of useable power.

Saving weight in my rig is a concern so for my application and the average temps I camp in, the benefits of switching to lithium was worth the increase in price. Well over twice the storage capacity and only 1/4 of the weight.

That said, after 10 years of service my AGMs are bullet proof and are still serving me well powering my off grid cabin up north.

Form follows function, the choice is yours.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users