• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 31 October 2022 - 06:58 PM

I am joining the ranks of the retired and for my first BIG retirement trip I have decided to drive to Alaska.

I won't be leaving TN until late April and will be visiting some family in Virginia, and meandering to visit some in Western NY.

From there I am thinking I'll cross into Canada either at Niagara Falls or the Thousand Islands.

then follow the Trans Canada Highway around Lake Huron (Georgian Bay) and Lake Superior.

After that I start having questions. I am not going to have detailed plans or time schedules.

The Trans Canada Highway takes a "southern" route to British Columbia. and I know people that have done that. I was looking at maps and considering a more northerly route from the north end of Lake Winnipeg, Manitoba across Saskatchewan, and Alberta to the Top of the World highway and Dawson City. From there take a side trip to Tuktoyatuk (the arctic ocean).

Does anyone here have any knowledge of that area? I think it is more in the boreal forest and less plains. There are a lot of lakes and not many towns.

There are quite a few parks etc, some are not accessible by road. It looks like it may be some of the most remote places you might go to.

So far my "plan" is to leave home and get back home sometime.

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Dave

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#2 AWG_Pics

AWG_Pics

Into the Great Empty

• Members
  • 1,195 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 31 October 2022 - 08:15 PM

Sounds like a very fun excursion / adventure. I have driven back and forth from North Pole, near Fairbanks through Tok and down to Valdez. Very good roads. Lots of uninhabited miles. Mosquitos are thick in places. Be bear aware.

Looking forward to your after trip report.

lived for several years each in Montana, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Washington, Oregon.

2019 Tundra, Hawk.

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/awg_pics/

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,950 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 31 October 2022 - 10:42 PM

Having driven across the prairies from Vancouver to Winnepeg on the #1 several times, I'd be inclined to go the more northerly route, depending on the time of year.  The boreal forest is more interesting than the prairies, at least to me.  That said, do not miss driving up the Rockies from the Canadian border to Jasper via Hwy 40 and the Icefields Parkway.  

#4 buckland

buckland

• Members
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 31 October 2022 - 11:16 PM

I have done NE USA to AK and it was a blast... I look forward to your trip and hope you either have a blog or do a trip report. I'd love to follow along. Great trip; You won't regret it!

2016 Duramax 2.8 Diesel long bed Colorado 4WD with 2011 Eagle

Lordwoodcraft  instagram        Rob
The only people who ever get anyplace interesting are the people who get lost.
Henry David Thoreau
"Work to achieve not to acquire"

#5 Beate

Beate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 01 November 2022 - 12:03 PM

We drove all the Alaska Hwy, the Robert Campbell Hwy., TOW Hwy, but also the Dempster Hwy to Inuvik, and about all possible roads in NWT (Great Slave Lake and on to Whitehorse), Yukon and Alaska. We always had a rented Truck-Camper with 4x4. For us the scenery got more and more interesting the further north we went. I'd like to do the same again. 

We also did a RV-relocation trip from Vancouver to Halifax, but this time we took a very southern route until Grand Forks and then north around Lake Superior and the other lakes. But on that trip the scenery was not as breathtaking as in the Far North.

#6 penner

penner

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 12:10 PM

We did the Alaska trip this past summer . Took the trans Canada across the top of Superior as well but when we got to Winterpeg we got on 16 and took it over to Edmonton for a visit . After that we stayed on 16 over until we could hook up with the Cassier. The route north from Winnipeg would likely be a pretty nice drive though and likely better boon docking spots .  Maybe we'll try that next time! If your doing the Dempster, Dawson City and the Top of the World, be sure to stop at the "mall" in chicken. Interesting spot with an awesome bakery . 

#7 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 03:02 PM

Howdy

Sounds like you have the essentials covered......take a look at the weather forecast .....

#8 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,576 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 November 2022 - 05:04 PM

<snip>

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Dave

One of the best plans I’ve seen.

I am haunted by waters

#9 Atlin

Atlin

• Members
  • 132 posts
  • LocationSequim, WA; Atlin, BC

Posted 01 November 2022 - 10:33 PM

Sounds like a good plan to me.  Be sure to keep an eye on the smoke/fire situation.  Last summer several roads in Yukon were intermittently closed due to fires.  Carry extra fuel unless you have a large tank.  If you are on the Alcan between Watson Lake and Whitehorse, we're close by - stop and visit (PM me if you want direct info).

#10 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 02 November 2022 - 12:43 PM

Thanks for the responses

Last year on my trip to Wyoming/Montana I got about 14-15MPG on 2 lane roads (55-65MPH) this gives me a range of around 400MI. I will take a gas can with me but not fill it most of the time.
I did learn that drinking water is a concern. I am building a good water filtration system and will add a couple more jugs to get me to 20gal.
This Summer I installed the Flatbed and bumper. I still have some work to do to.
I am going to build drop down doors for the sides, and need to wire a good electrical connection between the truck and camper.
going to the Flatbed will increase my storage.

I am probably do some work to the interior of the camper, it is a pretty basic shell with a heater. I have an Engel MR040 fridge/freezer that I use as a freezer.
Being able to keep frozen food with me is great, and I use it to refreeze water bottles to swap into a cooler. This also keeps the cooler dry.

I will be bringing my 2 dogs.

They travel well and I don't want to leave them for a long time.

I have seen on other forums some people had problems carrying bear spray across the border, since all mine is at least several years old I can just buy some new after I cross the border. I don't want the hassle of trying to bring a fire arm with me.

I am not going to worry about the costs, this will be the trip of a lifetime, I want to do the things that I want to do. Like go Halibut fishing from Hyder Edit; Homer, Alaska. Go to Tuktoyatuk, the only road that ends at the arctic ocean. Plus all the other things I find on the way.

I have time to get my ducks in a row and make some more vague plans, and am open to suggestions

Atlin Thanks for the invite I'll keep it in mind, I will most likely take the Alcan away from Alaska

Thanks everybody

Dave

Edited by Machinebuilder, 02 February 2023 - 09:24 PM.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users