68 replies to this topic

#61 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,936 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 February 2023 - 04:23 PM

I hope you like the Geolandars. I have to G015’s and love them. Did you get a new spare as well?

#62 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 10 February 2023 - 02:20 PM

Yep 5 tires, next is a set of better shocks

I can't comment much about the tires yet, I did do a quick test in the mud by my barn, they seem to do quite well.

As far as Algonquin Park, It's not on my list currently as When I was very young we went there every summer.

several years ago I went through on Hwy 60 and didn't recognize anything. But I remember one of the big things was to go to the dump to watch the bears................

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

EBY Big Country Flatbed, Buckstop Outback front Bumper

Gabby (GSP), Sox (GSP/American Bulldog)

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#63 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 10 February 2023 - 03:50 PM

-snip-

As far as Algonquin Park, It's not on my list currently as When I was very young we went there every summer.

several years ago I went through on Hwy 60 and didn't recognize anything. But I remember one of the big things was to go to the dump to watch the bears................

Machinebuilder, I hope you can forgive a side note in your planning thread...

Your comment about the dump at Algonquin Provincial Park brings back such a strong memory for me.  My first trip to Algonquin was my Dad taking us in our family's '57 Chevy towing a pop-up camping trailer he built from Popular Mechanics plans. He  too heard the best place to see bears was the dump.

We went one evening and saw four or five bears intently working the trash heaps.  I guess Dad wanted to impress the family so he handed Mom the Instamatic. He very slowly eased up to a feeding bear to get in the photo.  He may have picked that one because it kept standing up for some reason. 

And of course the predictable happened-- he got too close and the bear took a swipe at him and chased him a short distance, huffing and growling.  That made quite an impression on all of us.

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

#64 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 11 February 2023 - 01:28 PM

I have a similar memory.

This was along the road and a stranger. There was a cub sitting at the top of the hill and this guy was up there with a piece of bread and his camera trying to get a close up picture. the cub swiped at him and he came down the hill very fast.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#65 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 11 February 2023 - 01:31 PM

I ordered a set of Fox 2.0 shocks with LSC adjustment yesterday from Accutune Offroad.

They should be good for the 100's of miles of rough roads I'll be driving.

They are less $$$$$ than I spent to upgrade the suspension on my BMW F800 motorcycle

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#66 smlobx

smlobx

Lost again

• Members
  • 1,529 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 11 February 2023 - 08:16 PM

I am currently in Chile on a 5 week trip and can attest that planning your route is a big part of the fun but I would also suggest leaving some down time in your schedule so that when you find the unexpected you'll have time to explore/enjoy that too.
On the navigation side in addition to paper maps etc. we decided to rely on maps.me after a string recommendation from a German full time overlanding couple we met last summer in Canada and I have to say it's been magnificent and very intuitive to use. You can download the maps in the comfort of your living room very quickly and access them offline 24/7. Best of all the app is free and not only includes roads etc but hiking trails.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8D5BB910-586F-4564-9D16-D4F4BC874135.jpeg

Edited by smlobx, 11 February 2023 - 08:21 PM.

Eddie
KO4CPL

Travel light. Travel far. Travel safe.

#67 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,282 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 11 February 2023 - 08:35 PM

I have a similar memory.

This was along the road and a stranger. There was a cub sitting at the top of the hill and this guy was up there with a piece of bread and his camera trying to get a close up picture. the cub swiped at him and he came down the hill very fast.

People can be real stupid.That's why  cameras are made with "telephoto".

End of story.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#68 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 12 February 2023 - 01:12 PM

I am currently in Chile on a 5 week trip and can attest that planning your route is a big part of the fun but I would also suggest leaving some down time in your schedule so that when you find the unexpected you'll have time to explore/enjoy that too.
On the navigation side in addition to paper maps etc. we decided to rely on maps.me after a string recommendation from a German full time overlanding couple we met last summer in Canada and I have to say it's been magnificent and very intuitive to use. You can download the maps in the comfort of your living room very quickly and access them offline 24/7. Best of all the app is free and not only includes roads etc but hiking trails.

Schedule and downtime...............I have no schedule and figure when i get to a spot i really like I will stop for some time.

I am going to bring some fishing gear, gold panning stuff, hiking gear, and maybe a bike. I like the idea of stopping on a lake somewhere and sitting by a campfire watching the lake and reading.

2021 F350 SCLB

FWC Grandby,

2011 F150 SCLB HDPP

#69 Machinebuilder

Machinebuilder

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 27 April 2023 - 04:08 PM

Time to move to the trip report. I will be leaving soon