#1 ArcherJim

ArcherJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 November 2022 - 04:40 PM

Hi --

This forum has been a wealth of great ideas as I get closer to an ordered 78-wide Puma build date of March 2023.  In the meantime, I've been poring over alternative DIY layout options.  One that keeps floating to the top is a front dinette that converts into a lower bunk, using the 28-in cabover extension cushions for either the dinette seats or the entire bunk.  When used for sitting, the seats are at the lower shelf height (15 in), which allows enough headroom to sit with the roof closed for stealth camping.  When used as a lower bunk, the entire bunk length is even with the upper shelf height (24 in) to have enough length for sleeping.

My challenge is how to best elevate the dinette sections to bunk height.  The table is easy, simply swap out vertical supports with ones having the desired height.  On each of the seats, I'm imagining something like an 9-in high X-frame of interleaved plywood supporting an extra 28 x 18 piece of plywood for the raised bunk surface.  These pieces would come apart and store along the passenger upper shelf when the bunk is not needed.  There may be better ways to do this.

Perusing the excellent set of owner buildouts on this site, I haven't seen one quite like this.  Has anyone done or seen anything close that I could learn from?  All ideas welcome!

2022 Ford F-150 HDPP with 2022 ATC Puma Shell

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 01 November 2022 - 04:57 PM

I thought about this with my new Cougar, but decided not to (for now) because of the bed slide out. I still may, as I suspect most often I’ll be solo in this camper. If I do, I will put a low platform between the sides of the floor pack as the base. I’m on my phone now, so don’t have access to a couple of other builds to link where there are good ideas. I’ll update later.

edit, here’s the idea I liked.  I don’t recall who sent this to me, but I like the idea.  

gallery_4841_1080_41446.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#3 ArcherJim

ArcherJim

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 01 November 2022 - 10:14 PM

Thanks, Sage -- much appreciated .  Yes, that looks like @BlueSky  's excellent Cougar build.  A great use of space, and fine workmanship to boot.  He uses the upper shelf (24 in over floor) for both the seats and bunk.

Since I'm trying to conserve sitting headroom for stealth use, that lower shelf (15 in over floor) is still teasing me for the seat.  It's all about tradeoffs...

All thoughts and ideas welcome.

2022 Ford F-150 HDPP with 2022 ATC Puma Shell

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dinette, buildout

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users