• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Aquadoc

Aquadoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 11:06 PM

So it would be quicker for me to drive the 38miles to Winlock than get a callback from Alaskan. That being said they're a small company and I get it, kinda...

The previous owner had his truck to camper power hard wired at Alaskan so I didn't get it.

So Has anyone changed an Alaskan female truck to camper receptacle to match a “standard camper” to vehicle 7pin? I stopped in this AM at the shop and it was WA raining outside so Brian told me to call when I get home and ready to change it. He's perpetually busy so I've got the plug out and just need to know which wires to move to where. Any help?

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 04 November 2022 - 11:17 PM

I have done that with a camper other than an Alaskan.  It works well.

You need to know the pinning of the truck receptacle, and what the camper side wires go to.  In my case it was 12VDC, ground, and clearance lights.  My 7 pin female socket is located on the driver’s side forward of the wheel. 

I am haunted by waters

#3 Aquadoc

Aquadoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 11:33 PM

Ja that is the issue. Brian said call me when you get home, 38 mile drive. But he's always busy so I hoped someone had done this with an Alaskan. With the truck running I should get 2hot and 1cold but I'm not sure how to tell the charge and lights since I have auto lights. I'm sure this is easy for a V or RV mechanic but I'm a meat mechanic that only dabbles in electricity/electronics 😆

#4 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 11:54 PM

Prof Google has quite a number of images that describe what each pin is used for.   You should be able to turn the automatic lights off. Then use an ohm meter to validate the ground pin in the diagram actually goes to ground.  Followed with a digital multimeter to check if you have 12VDC on the pin with that label. Lastly, turn the lights on to check for voltage on the marker/tail light circuit.

Rather than probe pins on the truck side, attach short numbered wires to what will be the male camper side connector.   An alligator clip on your leads helps.

I am haunted by waters

#5 Aquadoc

Aquadoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 November 2022 - 03:20 AM

Ty

#6 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,575 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 11:46 PM

Doc, I was shuffling through some camper papers, and located the pin configuration that my truck to camper wiring uses.  

Pin 1 is ground, pin 3 is for the clearance lights, and pin 4 is 12VDC.  On my truck, the 12VDC is only energized with the truck running.

gallery_4841_1080_22168.jpeg

I am haunted by waters

#7 Aquadoc

Aquadoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 04:48 AM

Thank You. I'm going to get into it tomorrow.

#8 Aquadoc

Aquadoc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 11:31 PM

Finally caught Brian not busy. Easy fix (I didn’t gauge it so don’t bash me LOL) 10gRed goes to 4blk 10gWhite goes to 1white and the smaller 12gBrown goes to 3green. He told me to deadhead the sm 12gRed that was on 3green. This is the camper side on my ‘14 8.5 CO, I think only the year would matter. Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Costumer Service at Alaskan is second to none so far.

#9 Desertsailboat

Desertsailboat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSierra's

Posted 23 September 2023 - 06:08 PM

This is a similar issue I am having. I don’t understand the 12gRed goes to 3green? Could you explain that part?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users