• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 searching for nowhere

searching for nowhere

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • LocationWestern Washington

Posted 05 November 2022 - 02:10 PM

FYI  I found out that InReach doesn't work in dense vegetation.  I walked in the Redwoods for about two hours and a location signal never went out.  The Earthmate app displayed a notice indicating it couldn't get a signal out.  Interestingly the Earthmate app knew exactly where I was.   Later I couldn't get an "I'm OK" message out at the Cape Blanco campground which has dense shore trees.  Fortunately, I had cell service to send out a "I'm OK" message.

Camping with a small trailer.  Everyday is a good day to go camping.

https://searchingfor.wordpress.com/

#2 Ted

Ted

Magellan

• Site Team
  • 2,781 posts
  • LocationEast of Sacramento

Posted 05 November 2022 - 03:16 PM

I have had the same issue over the years myself. We just did a trip in the redwoods last week ourselves and, surprisingly, it did send the messages on several occasions when I did not think it would. It did take longer than normal. I hit send and set the device aside facing up and it eventually worked after 5 or 10 minutes. The directions do state that trees will block the signal so I try to find a gap where I can see some sky. I guess you just need to get lucky and have several satellites in that gap at once.

"Not all who wander are lost. Except Ted, he's usually lost."  Dirty Dog

#3 rubberlegs

rubberlegs

curmudgeon

• Members
  • 560 posts
  • LocationEverett, WA

Posted 05 November 2022 - 09:48 PM

I believe your phone works because it can use more satellites than the inReach. It only uses the US satellites. I’ve noticed how poor it is in trees too.

Tacoma/Fleet 2018.

#4 PaulT

PaulT

Need gumbo

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  • LocationHillsboro, Oregon

Posted 05 November 2022 - 11:32 PM

The signals from the cell towers are typically stronger than from a satellite and transmit power from the cellphone to the tower is also typically stronger over a much shorter distance..  Cellphones don't expect unobstructed line of site to the tower but the satellite communicators usually do expect that.  After all, it is not uncommon for your cellphone to work from inside a building.

A few years ago, a person who fell while skiing on Mount Hood was able to summon help some 70 miles distant using FRS radios with 1/2 watt signals because they had clear line of site between the two radios.

Paul

I thought getting old would take longer.

#5 Old Crow

Old Crow

Searching....

• Members
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationSouth Central PA

Posted 06 November 2022 - 12:50 AM

I don't think this is an important point but the discussion of cell vs satellite transmission of an Inreach message reminded me of something.....

The recently-announced new Inreach device called the "Inreach Messenger" works in conjunction with a new app (also called 'Messenger') to seamlessly select the best method of transmission for your message.   If you have the hardware device linked to your cell phone, are running the Messenger app on the phone and have a cell signal, the app will use the phone's cell connectivity to send the message.  If you're out of cell phone range, it will attempt to send the message via the Messenger hardware device (i.e., by satellite).

Garmin has said this functionality will also be made available via firmware update to other Inreach devices-- namely the GPSMAP66i, the Montana 700i/750i and the Mini2. (Sorry, it is not planned for the original Mini)

'01 FWC Hawk shell on a '13 Tundra Double-Cab  + '19 Ford Transit van with Quigley 4x4 option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users