30 replies to this topic

#21 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 06:02 PM

Yeah that’s definitely different than what I had, I was going off the second diagram that I had posted initially. Looks like I will be redoing some stuff this evening. 

There is different wiring diagrams that they show for other configurations.  I think that is where you went astray.  Even though you have two batteries each being 6 volt, look at it as one 12 volt battery with a jumper wire, negative to positive between them.  Like a two "d" cell batteries stacked in a flashlight.

Think you nailed it on the head. I was taking the pics literally, not considering looking at 2 6v as one battery in the pic. Thankfully just a matter of swapping the negatives so shouldn’t be a prob. I’ll do that after work today. 

appreciate the advice and your help!

Edited by RallyRock, 07 November 2022 - 06:02 PM.

#22 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 07 November 2022 - 06:44 PM

My pleasure.  Let us know how it turns out.  Pictures always help.  Cheers...  Patrick

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#23 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 12:06 AM

Ok folks, I gave this a try and I think I heard some noises that made me pull back because it sounded like it was coming from inside the battery. 

here’s where I started. 

Attached File  C29C545B-1DDC-450E-A041-60E84551BD76.jpeg   113.11K   21 downloads

Here’s where I am now. 

Attached File  6650F7E0-9AED-46DE-8135-D533A34337DB.jpeg   111.86K   19 downloads

i added new 6 awg wire from the original load terminal (Tc) to the negative side of the shunt

I added negative load cables to load side of shunt (w3 and 4)

however, when I take the original jumper cable W5 and attached to the load side of the shunt as per the diagram, I got sparks and after sinching down I heard what sounded like bubbling or something occurring in the battery. 

I got nervous, backed the nut out and took this pic. 

Edited by RallyRock, 10 November 2022 - 12:41 AM.

#24 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 01:18 AM

I’m going to give this another try. Think my problem is I need to keep the jumper cable going from pos to neg instead of connecting it to the shunt. Other than that I think all the rest is wired ok. Will keep anyone interested in the loop, but in case I catch an arc flash nice meeting ya’ll

newbies eh?

#25 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 01:41 AM

Latest update. 

Ok, I have it wired up again. Still no display readout from the Victron but at least I feel I have the wiring correct and my batteries haven’t shorted out this time lol.  

Attached File  501CAE69-7E1D-4116-AE7E-D18B2D326F07.jpeg   129.65K   16 downloads

However, still no readout. I also bought shorter rj12 cable but still nada. Im thinking the head unit is DOA. Any thoughts or ways to wake it up?

i have a new one on the way, hoping it’s just a bunk display. 

Edited by RallyRock, 10 November 2022 - 02:06 AM.

#26 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 04:20 AM

Final update, figured it out!!  With help. Friendly neighbor came by and taught me how to use the voltmeter to sniff out the problem. Turns out there wasn’t any voltage going from the battery to B1 which powers the meter. The little 1A in-line fuse wasn’t providing continuity! Both wires that came in the package had bad fuses. I’m willing to bet I blew them out. He had a tiny jumper to test it out and the display lit up!!

Great news, and boy was that a fun lesson but the display is on and now off to bigger and better things. Thanks again for your help and hope this thread helps somebody else out. 

Edited by RallyRock, 10 November 2022 - 04:20 AM.

#27 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 10 November 2022 - 04:25 PM

Wahoo! It's Alive!  Just read your follow ups posting.  Electrical can be challenging at times.  In the end you got it and having a good neighbor that took some interest with your project moved you toward the finish.

That jumper from TB to TD between batteries should have not been removed.  That is what makes two 6 volt batteries into a 12 volt single battery.  I should have mentioned for you to not touch that jumper.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#28 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 06:04 PM

Wahoo! It's Alive!  Just read your follow ups posting.  Electrical can be challenging at times.  In the end you got it and having a good neighbor that took some interest with your project moved you toward the finish.

That jumper from TB to TD between batteries should have not been removed.  That is what makes two 6 volt batteries into a 12 volt single battery.  I should have mentioned for you to not touch that jumper.

Well, as long as I’m not wiring up your house electrical I think the world is safe for now;). Very easy for me to miss a minor detail like that jumper cable because I am not too knowledgeable, however the more I do it the more I lean!  Fun project, still need to mount it but it’s up and running!

#29 RallyRock

RallyRock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 09:53 PM

Ok, one more final update. I mounted the monitor near the door so it’s easy to walk by and see the SOC from outside. Just wanted to share a pic of it. 

Attached Files

#30 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 November 2022 - 03:27 PM

Ok, one more final update. I mounted the monitor near the door so it’s easy to walk by and see the SOC from outside. Just wanted to share a pic of it. 

attachicon.gif2C496899-E981-4C18-8335-DD52CE4D9080.jpeg

Right next to the Viair compressor :)

There is a pinned post in the Member Support forum that helps with photo orientation.

I am haunted by waters

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users