#1 RLS

RLS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlympic Peninsula, Washington State

Posted 09 November 2022 - 10:33 PM

Hello,

I just stumbled across this website and am really enjoying reading about the FWC's.  I ordered a Hawk model and due date is 6/2023. I'm already planning a battery/electrical upgrade and have learned a lot in the last week, reading the various threads from this site. I went with the single, agm battery offered with the camper, with the intention of either hiring a shop to do the install or attempting it myself. I'm fairly comfortable around a multi-meter :-) 

Anyways, I just wanted to pop in and say hi.

Rick

Edited by RLS, 10 November 2022 - 07:56 PM.

#2 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,532 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 09 November 2022 - 10:56 PM

Hi Rick, welcome to WTW, we think it’s the best place to hang out on the web.  Feel free to post questions/comments, and certainly do post photos of your new Hawk when the day arrives.

If you need help, the moderator team listing is at the bottom of the home page.  Reach out to any of us.

I am haunted by waters

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,897 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 09 November 2022 - 11:02 PM

Hello,

I just stumbled across this website and am really enjoying reading about the FWC's.  I ordered a Hawk model and due date is 6/2023. I'm already planning a battery/electrical upgrade and have learned a lot in the last week, reading the various threads from this site. I went with the single, agm battery offered with the camper, with the intention of either hiring a shop to do the install or attempting it myself. I'm fairly comfortable around a multi-meter :-) 

Anyways, I just wanted to pop in and say hi.

Rick

Welcome to the cult.  We're happy to help you figure out how you want to make this camper uniquely yours.  For the electrical side of things, I suggest you get a Victron Bluetooth shunt and install that and use your camper for a bit to see what you need/want.  Then start spending the big bucks to upgrade the electrical if you need it.

#4 billharr

billharr

• Members
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationStockton CA

Posted 10 November 2022 - 03:12 AM

Welcome to the cult.  We're happy to help you figure out how you want to make this camper uniquely yours.  For the electrical side of things, I suggest you get a Victron Bluetooth shunt and install that and use your camper for a bit to see what you need/want.  Then start spending the big bucks to upgrade the electrical if you need it.

Welcome, you will find some great people here. The quote above is the perfect example of the good advice you will find. 

#5 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 905 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 November 2022 - 03:40 AM

Hi RLS.

I bought a new 2021 Grandby front dinette model 18 months ago. I ordered the minimum battery system (one agm) and sold the new agm to the dealer at delivery. I then added solar, a dc to dc converter for charging from the truck, and a 200 amp-hour lithium battery. If your camper is a front dinette I can provide pictures of how I installed everything in the battery compartment and answer questions about what I did and why.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#6 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 01:47 PM

Welcome. You might even get a little info overload on some subjects. LOL

#7 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 791 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 10 November 2022 - 03:11 PM

It will be a long 6 months waiting for camper

#8 kmcintyre

kmcintyre

• Members
  • 1,379 posts
  • LocationBoise, ID

Posted 10 November 2022 - 03:17 PM

Welcome and as Vic correctly stated, "the cult" :-).

When I ordered my new camper, I was able to do a battery delete and then put my DIY LifePO4 in... easy to do and since you know what a multi-meter is, it's easy once you figure out what all the wires are (tracking where they all go).  I will say that on a flatbed, running a higher guage wire was a challenge due to space and figuring out how to pull wires to make it look factory installed and I wish FWC would either just do it at the factory or charge a little to "upgrade" it.  It literally would take an extra 5 mins when they are building them.  I also replaced the fuses, etc. at the time, etc.  

Boise, ID

2022 Chevy 3500 HD

2023 FWC Flatbed Hawk

#9 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,263 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 03:34 PM

Howdy

WTW is a tolerant good group of folks both welcoming and respectful.

We come from a wide expanse of the North American continent and include lots of differing ideas about enjoying and observing the outdoors.

Mostly, we seem united by enjoyment of smaller. simpler forms of vehicle campers of many stripes.

David Graves

Pacific Northwest 

#10 RLS

RLS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlympic Peninsula, Washington State

Posted 10 November 2022 - 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone for the kind welcoming. 

Vic, I've really learned a lot from your article on "Building out an Electrical System". Also read a good one from KP Pawley. I came away with a much clearer understanding of the three ways to keep those batteries charged. 

I originally went with the "lithium battery option" when ordering my FWC. After reading a few articles, yours included, I thought I could do it myself for probably way less $$, so I cancelled that option :-) 

Jon R, I ordered my Hawk with the front dinette. I would welcome any and all photos on your battery installation.  

Cheers,

Rick

Edited by RLS, 10 November 2022 - 07:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users