Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 11 November 2022 - 11:29 PM

As this is my first post I guess I’ll start with a brief introduction 

I have a 2003 Eagle shell that I bought basically unused in 2004, mounted to a 93 Toyota 4x4 that I’ve had since new. My wife and I use it to explore remote corners of the western US. I really like the small size of this setup as I’m able to take it on tight rough trails where no sane person would normally take a camper. In all these years both the truck and camper have exceeded all my expectations and I will continue to repair rather than replace either one.

I’ve followed this forum for years now and even tried signing up once (apparently not taking new members at the time and never tried again). Anyway though I’ve found lots of info on leaks, have never heard mention of my particular problem.

When driving in hard rain at hi way speeds I get a leak at both rear corners that I never remember getting in the past. Always thought it was roof screws or vent, but on closer inspection it looks like the water is coming in through the soft side windows. This had me confused as not only are the inside flaps in place, but I also have the older style windows with the storm flaps on the outside. Only problem I can find is there is a slight bow in the top between the front and rear hold down latches that maybe let’s water into the folded sides. Would maybe adding another latch on each side help suck it back down flat to seal better? I’m open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks 

Tom

93 Toyota 4x4 with FWC Eagle shell

65 Chevy 4x4

#2 Casa Escarlata Robles Too

Casa Escarlata Robles Too

C'est la vie

• Site Team
  • 9,269 posts
  • Locationmonterey bay area

Posted 12 November 2022 - 12:41 AM

Welcome to the cult Tom.

First there is a natural "bow" to the roof,it's the way they are designed and built.

Are the latches pulling the roof down tight enough?

Maybe adjust the screw part of the latch tighter,to pull the roof tighter.

Maybe post a photo of the roof area where you think the leak is coming from.

Not sure what you mean by a "bow". Could the roof have been sprung somehow?

Your in the right place for help.We have a great assortment of info members.

Frank

2002 Tundra AC TRD 4WD Limited 2009 ATC Bobcat loaded http://sharychic.blogspot.com/

#3 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,898 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 12 November 2022 - 01:45 AM

Have you checked for leaks on the driveway?  I find having a person inside and another outside with a hose can help with locating leaks.  Have you changed anything, assuming it didn't leak before?   I had leaks in my windows with the same design as yours, but it leaked all the time when the top was up.  Fixed that!  

Another possibility is that the water is getting in elsewhere and just showing up in those places, since the water could get in a screw hole and travel down the 1" tubing for quite some distance.

#4 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • LocationCarson City, NV

Posted 12 November 2022 - 02:17 AM

...When driving in hard rain at hi way speeds I get a leak at both rear corners that I never remember getting in the past. Always thought it was roof screws or vent, but on closer inspection it looks like the water is coming in through the soft side windows. This had me confused as not only are the inside flaps in place, but I also have the older style windows with the storm flaps on the outside. ...

Thanks 

Tom

First question where about on the "both rear corners"?  Inside bottom or top of the camper?  I'm not sure where exactly you are talking about a Picture pointing to where it is leaking is always helpful.

On your camper since you said it is having the issue at highway speed in hard rain... There is on the roof edge you have two roof vents with a cap open at the bottom.  With the design of the air flow up from the windshield, water could be entering these two vents.  Inside is a tube where the water might be traveling to the back of the camper and finding it's way out where you see the water on exit.  

As far as the siding material leaking in... After you drive in hard rain, popping up is the side liner coated with water?

Edited by pvstoy, 12 November 2022 - 02:19 AM.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#5 Stan@FourWheel

Stan@FourWheel

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationWoodland, CA

Posted 12 November 2022 - 05:35 PM

Do you still have the small side wall storage cabinets inside the camper ?

Or have they been removed ?

(see attached pic)

There should be one on each side wall, in the rear of the camper.

I used to try and "delete" those cabinets on new camper orders back in those days, and the production department wanted them in there.

They used to tell me that the small cabinets helped the soft-sides (pop-up liner) to stay "up", and not droop down in those rear corners. So water would not pool in there and leak through the velcro on the window.

Just a thought.

Attached Thumbnails

• overhead storage cabinet shell model.jpg

Stan Kennedy --- Four Wheel Pop-up Campers
1400 Churchill Downs Avenue, Suite A

Woodland, CA 95776
(800) 242-1442 or (530) 666-1442
www.fourwh.com  ---  e-mail = stan@fourwh.com

#6 Tom n N

Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 14 November 2022 - 03:43 AM

Thanks all for the replies. I finally figured out how to post some pictures (I think), so hopefully will make things clearer.

Camper 1.jpg

This is the gap I was talking about between the latches. Not sure if it shows, but definitely does not seem to seal as tight as at the latches due to distortion.

Camper 2.jpg

Camper 3.jpg

These are the areas on the inside where I'm getting water. It's worse on the passenger side. There is water in the windows, and also behind the windows as shown, but only at or below the crease. No water on the upper part of the side, or anywhere on the ceiling, so not a roof issue. In the past we used to take the camper off between trips, and most of the time it's used in the desert, so rain was not a problem. Lately though, drove it through some pretty good storms and that's when I noticed leak.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

93 Toyota 4x4 with FWC Eagle shell

65 Chevy 4x4

#7 Wandering Sagebrush

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human

• Site Team
  • 10,536 posts
  • LocationNortheast Oregon

Posted 14 November 2022 - 01:50 PM

Tom, after looking at your photos, I think Stan has identified the source of your leak.  Water is getting up into the folded vinyl, then seeping through the Velcro.  I’m not certain what the fix will be (reach out to Stan), but one thing I’d check is turnbuckle adjustment.  If the turnbuckles have loosened over time, they may be allowing more water up into the folded area, contributing to your leak.

I would also check with Stan about FWC’s recommendation for proper turnbuckle adjustment.

I am haunted by waters

#8 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 03:24 PM

I had a leak coming in through the front windows when driving in the rain. Found the front weather seal around the front of the camper had collapsed from being compressed over the years and wasn't sealing completely when the top was down. The collapsed section of the weather seal is hollow so i fished a length of 3/16 or 1/4" vacumm line into the hollow to return it to the original form. Has not leaked since. I snaked some welding wire through first and formed a tiny hook on one end, hooked and taped  it to the vacumm line, then lubed the vacumm line with Dawn dish soap as I fed into the hollow section. Easier if you have two people when pulling.

#9 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 03:29 PM

Are those two spots where the lift panels rub, is there a hole?

Check to see if your inner clear window has shrunk and around edges are not sealing out the water.

Pop up and use water hose and hose down windows a have someone inside looking for water leak paths.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

#10 pvstoy

pvstoy

• Members
  • 2,760 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 03:33 PM

Beach not sure in 2003 the weather seal was installed yet. Don't know when it was added.

Patrick

2015 FWC Hawk Flatbed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users