12 replies to this topic

#11 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 14 November 2022 - 06:51 PM

Are those two spots where the lift panels rub, is there a hole?

Check to see if your inner clear window has shrunk and around edges are not sealing out the water.

Pop up and use water hose and hose down windows a have someone inside looking for water leak paths.

+1 to this.  I had to make interesting mods to the windows to get them not to leak in the rain.  Check here in my PUMA build thread  https://www.wanderth...build/?p=235078

Edited by Vic Harder, 14 November 2022 - 06:53 PM.

#12 Tom n N

Tom n N

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationLos Osos, CA

Posted 17 November 2022 - 07:25 PM

Well you all have given me a lot to think about 

Lots of great info from Vic. Although I think he’s talking about leaks when the top is up (maybe I misunderstood) I’m still going to try the ‘glue and sew’ solution to prevent other problems I never thought of.

There are definitely no holes in the vinyl, and my latches are tight enough. In fact I think they may have been too tight in the past, resulting in some distortion. Since ours is a Shell model, we typically leave the bed pulled out and all bedding still on it. Even though we use a deflatable mattress, my dear wife can sometimes get carried away loading it up with pillows and blankets. ( if she’s willing to join me for cold weather camping, I’m not going to complain). This can result in quite a bow and may have tweaked it. I still think this may be part of the problem.

Also going to investigate the top seal, and Beach’s clever solution if possible on my year model. Sounds like something definitely worth looking into 

Finally, never really paid attention to the seal of the clear plastic windows. I know when it’s cold out they don’t seem to lay very flat. Not sure what to do about that.

Going to head down to the SoCal 4WC rally in a couple weeks. All our trips are usually remote and solo, so will be interesting to see what others have done with their rigs and get some ideas. Maybe talk to others with this problem.

Thanks again for all the help 

Tom

93 Toyota 4x4 with FWC Eagle shell

65 Chevy 4x4

#13 Vic Harder

Vic Harder

Doctor Electric

• Site Team
  • 4,962 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 18 November 2022 - 05:33 AM

Well you all have given me a lot to think about 

Lots of great info from Vic. Although I think he’s talking about leaks when the top is up (maybe I misunderstood) I’m still going to try the ‘glue and sew’ solution to prevent other problems I never thought of.

There are definitely no holes in the vinyl, and my latches are tight enough. In fact I think they may have been too tight in the past, resulting in some distortion. Since ours is a Shell model, we typically leave the bed pulled out and all bedding still on it. Even though we use a deflatable mattress, my dear wife can sometimes get carried away loading it up with pillows and blankets. ( if she’s willing to join me for cold weather camping, I’m not going to complain). This can result in quite a bow and may have tweaked it. I still think this may be part of the problem.

Also going to investigate the top seal, and Beach’s clever solution if possible on my year model. Sounds like something definitely worth looking into 

Finally, never really paid attention to the seal of the clear plastic windows. I know when it’s cold out they don’t seem to lay very flat. Not sure what to do about that.

Going to head down to the SoCal 4WC rally in a couple weeks. All our trips are usually remote and solo, so will be interesting to see what others have done with their rigs and get some ideas. Maybe talk to others with this problem.

Thanks again for all the help 

Tom

Tom, yeah, I was talking about top up.  Ours didn't like with the top down.  Still worth looking at though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users