• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 DarinH

DarinH

• Registered (Tapatalk)
  • 118 posts
  • Locationwestern Colorado

Posted 14 November 2022 - 09:19 PM

I think Ford fixed the death wobble issue sometime in the ‘20 model year (I’m speculating), although I don’t think they ever did a recall on it. I have a ‘21 Superduty Tremor with a Grandby and have never had a problem with it, and have gone at least 85 mph, both empty and with the camper on. There are several youtube videos that address the issue and give a fix. I think it’s a fairly simple fix, although it’s a shame Ford doesn’t fix it through a recall. It’s probably worth checking with your dealer on to see if they’ve done something for it.

#12 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 02:36 AM

My stock F250/Hawk got the DW summer of 2021 while on vacation with 63k on the odometer, had a shop replace the track bar. I didn't experience any more DW but front end never felt like it was right, still had a lot of feed backk/shimmy in the steering on rough roads. This fall I took it to a local shop I know that does excellent work to have it checked out(66k on the odometer). They replaced all tie rod ends, pitman arm and installed a heavier track bar. They also recommended a dual ram stabilizer but I decided to stay with the HD bilstien single since it only has 10k miles on it. Steering now has zero play and just the tiniest amout of feedback on rough roads now, truck drives great, huge difference. Owner told me if there is just a 1/4" of total play in the front end you'll get the DW

#13 Ouroboros

Ouroboros

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2022 - 09:36 PM

I have owned a 1994,1999, 2001, 2006, 2016 and now a 2020, all 4X4 Diesels and have never experienced or even heard of anyone personally experiencing the death wobble. I believe it is more of an anomaly related the vehicle becoming unsettled when the weight is evenly distributed front to rear. Jeep Jk's forums also talk about this issue. 

#14 ri-f

ri-f

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 16 November 2022 - 05:07 PM

Here's another technical. esoteric thread from the Jeep TJ forum:

https://wranglertjfo...ble-woes.66624/

This is a new thread and might be interesting for you to follow to see how it eventually resolves. It touches on toe-in, caster, track bars, worn tires, etc.

- 2001 Cummins 2500 quad cab 4x4 turbo diesel; NV4500 5-spd manual transmission; CM aluminum flatbed, '20 FWC Hawk shell - hybrid buildout.  https://ian-frese-of...r.blogspot.com/

- 2004 Jeep TJ - Rubicon

#15 BigRanchInSky

BigRanchInSky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 16 November 2022 - 11:19 PM

Thank You all!

Update: I found the letter form Ford advising me about a warranty extension for "Steering Linkage Damper" to 7 years/100K miles. So I called the dealer in town I purchased it from to have them look at it. Ford Letter (Customer Satisfaction Program 20NN04) says a redesigned damper is available (part #: KC3Z-3E651-B, E or G(?)). It goes in Nov. 23.

I hope they replace this part, gonna be disappointed if not. I saw on YT about how to see if there is play. Start it up, press on brake and really crank the steering wheel back and forth—that should reveal any looseness (but will I be able to detect it?)*

They replaced all tie rod ends, pitman arm and installed a heavier track bar. They also recommended a dual ram stabilizer but I decided to stay with the HD bilstien single since it only has 10k miles on it. Steering now has zero play and just the tiniest amout of feedback on rough roads now, truck drives great, huge difference. Owner told me if there is just a 1/4" of total play in the front end you'll get the DW

I might look into solutions such as this, but I've got zero experience, so I'm leery of just bouncing in and asking for a slew of new parts. More research and discussions with my more experienced buddies needed.

One thing that might not be helping: old tires. I've got original OEM Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar, which are probably pretty good tires, and mine only have 22K miles on them, but they are 4.6 years old at this point and look like hell from being in the sun a bunch. So I'm looking at Costco for some BFGoodrich AT KO2s (only$1220!).

*I'm anxious to get it out of storage this next Monday and do some tests on the front end now that I've read and watch a bunch of YT videos explaining what this is and how to hopefully see it. It goes to the deal a few days later. Going to proceed methodically if at all possible.

Edited by BigRanchInSky, 16 November 2022 - 11:20 PM.

#16 Openroad

Openroad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 12:22 AM

I once worked for Ford on the assembly line and made pick-ups.  The issue isn’t Ford specific but solid front axles as has already has been mentioned.  All vehicles with solid axles run into this problem.  I would have the dealer check the castor setting on the truck.  Caster settings can be put off because of rather simple events that bend control arms or other components of the front end.  It only takes one large rock or tree branch hit hard enough to do the damage.  

Another thing to check is weight. Do you have any rear end squat?  In other words, is the rear of the truck noticeably lower than the front?  What is the payload capacity of your truck?  Have you had a chance to put your truck (fully loaded with fuel, water and passengers) on a weight scale?  You want to make sure you don’t exceed the payload capacity of the truck. Check the yellow tag inside the driver’s door frame. It will tell you the maximum GVWR. The truck weight on the scale should not exceed the GVWR listed on the tag.

If the geometry of the truck is off too much (because of weight issues) you may have a condition that is more prone to front end related issues. When I had my camper on my F150 (even with air bags) I had a light front end that caused me control problems.  I ended up getting a 7.3L gasoline powered F350 which has not given me any troubles. This truck is rock solid on the road.

Unfortunately, F250s do not always have much greater payloads than ½ ton pick-ups.  Without getting into the weeds, this is because the options added to a basic truck quickly tend to eat up payload capacity and worse yet, a diesel engine will gobble up almost 800lbs of payload capacity over a gas engine. I have seen F250s with diesel engines that have lighter payload capacities than ½ ton pick-ups.

Checking the weight is a very low-cost thing that can be done and may be informative if nothing else.

Edited by Openroad, 26 November 2022 - 12:26 AM.

#17 Gumbus

Gumbus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 November 2022 - 04:59 PM

Thank you, all these are great responses and I'll need to go through them all. Sincerely, Thank you all!

edit: No, my F250 is 100% stock, no lifts or other modifications.

edit: reported to NHTSA.

edit: no air bags, no spring lifts

Hi BigRanchinSky, I live just up the road from you and have the EXACT same truck as you, 2019 use only for my FWC with 24,000 miles on it with no lift and OEM tires (carefully balanced and aligned). Just started to get the hint of Death wobble. 

#18 fish more

fish more

• Members
  • 793 posts
  • LocationSierra Foothills

Posted 29 November 2022 - 05:44 PM

My F250 4x4 SC had a couple of issues with DW. I changed out the shocks and steering damper with Bilstein 5100 units. Problem corrected., the Ford shocks were pretty weak compaired to the Bilsteins.

#19 ramblinChet

ramblinChet

• Gone Traveling
  • 486 posts
  • LocationYorktown, Virginia

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:37 AM

Oh gosh, the horrible death wobble. Myself and others have chased this for decades and I can share some of what I have learned over the years. It's a simple issue although it appears quite complex. Let me begin by stating this is an inherent issue with solid front axles and not a manufacturers defect.

Let's break the issue down into two primary sources: tires and front steering linkage. Keep in mind that minor issues in each of these areas may combine to result in steering wobble.

Tires - tires are not normally the primary cause although they should be reviewed. When adding larger tires this should definitely be looked at closely since larger tires create significantly greater radial forces and if those forces are out of balance, problems begin. In many cases, dynamic road balancing is usually sufficient. This is where a road force is applied and balancing weights are installed on the inside and outside of the rim. In some extreme cases, I have heard of guys taking brand new tires to have them "shaved" so they are perfectly round.

Front steering linkage - this is where is becomes quite confusing. Spotting a bad track bar or tie-rod end is not too difficult but remember how I stated above that at times small problems with tires and steering linkage combine to excite the system? Now we must consider the entire system to include track bar, track bar mounts, ball joints, and tie-rod ends. Even control arm bushings, wheel bearings, and alignment can contribute and cause steering wobble.

Think of each component as a small spring that if tight, vibrates at a very high and discreet frequency. With all of these tiny forces at different frequencies we don't have any issues. But as these components wear, or become misaligned due to modification (suspension lift), now these individual frequencies become lower, and lower, and may overlap. And when happen when two or more components in a system vibrate at the same frequency? They may cancel each other out or they may excite the other and begin to resonate. Steering wobble is the mechanical system resonating and it can originate from one or multiple sources.

I have been lifting and modifying mostly Jeeps since the early 90s and have had to deal with steering wobble several times. Usually a lift and larger tires opened the door. Guys will play around with front axle alignment, most often caster and sometimes even toe. Of they may install super heavy duty steering dampers, but those are not really curing the root cause, they are masking it so an acceptable degree.

When shops begin working down the list and replacing components they are not trying to steal your money - it is a process of elimination. And again, the origin may be one component with significant wear or misalignment, or it may be a combination of multiple components which all "appear" to be acceptable, but in combination, open the door for the dreaded death wobble. I am not sure if I have explained this well but I do hope some of this information is helpful.

Adventure vehicle: 2021 AEV Prospector & FWC Grandby Trail reports: Texas Hill Country, East Texas 450 Loop, Georgia Traverse, Allegheny Discovery Route, Laurel Highlands 200, Cross Pennsylvania Adventure Trail, Trans New Jersey Trail, Georgia Adventure Trail, Panhandle Adventure Trail, Cheeseburger Loop, Organs Loop, Sedona Backcountry Trail, Bloody Basin Trail, Crown King Road, Senator Highway, Big Bend Adventure Trail, Big Bend Ranch 150, El Camino del Diablo, Mojave Road, Joshua Tree Adventure Route, Anza-Borrego Discovery Trail, Kofa Pioneer Trail, Sonoran Desert Traverse, Five Tribes Overland Trail.

#20 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:19 PM

You did quite well in your explanation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users