• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 November 2022 - 03:44 PM

Wanting to carry our mountain bikes on the back of the camper.

Has anyone tried this particular mount?

https://www.amazon.c...lv_ov_lig_dp_it

#2 zoie

zoie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:27 PM

no and not sure how this would work.  Been using this Yakima locking fork mount for years on the back of my popup.

#3 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:50 PM

no and not sure how this would work.  Been using this Yakima locking fork mount for years on the back of my popup.

I like the security of your Yakima set up! I wonder if they make one for thru axel bikes?

#4 Ben_1987

Ben_1987

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:09 AM

There are lots of thru axle fork mounts out there. A lot of people like the rocky mount one you linked. I have a couple of the kuat dirt bag ones since they were cheaper, simpler, and i dont often lock things. On my old camper, I installed two of the lolo rack single DIY mounts: https://loloracks.co...IEaAnDoEALw_wcB

I ran plus nuts through the frame, then bolted unistrut to the plus nuts. Then bolted the lolo racks to the unistrut. I put a piece of 1x behind the rack to limit some of the flex. I'll be honest, I was a little nervy hanging expensive bikes off of that setup for awhile. In the beginning I used a cam strap as a safety line. They ended up being very stout.

s3dQ0EF.jpg

gu1jM26.jpg

06GTXCo.jpg

#5 Cpt Davenport

Cpt Davenport

• Members
  • 639 posts
  • LocationDavenport CA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:08 AM

Very clever Ben, I hadn't thought of a reverse mount.

#6 Lighthawk

Lighthawk

Weekend warrior

• Members
  • 3,319 posts
  • LocationNevada City, CA

Posted 01 December 2022 - 03:05 PM

Very clever, Ben.

I'm testing a rotopax install using plus nuts through on of the front studs of my Hawk frame right now.  The rotopax mount has a metal disc that bolts to the exterior, sandwiching the siding/stud between the plus nut and the mount.   So far I've got 500 miles (with about 15 of dirt) on the mount and it looks solid.  I'm planning to add a second mount on the other side next.

I also did a Bike Tight mount similar to yours for a traditional quick release mountain bike, but ran bolts through the frame into the refrigerator cabinet wall on one side, and some aluminum bar stock on the other side.  

IMG_6000-M.jpg

IMG_6001-M.jpg

2021 RAM 3500 Crew 4x4, 6.4 hemi/8 speed trans with 4.10 gears, Timber Grove bags, Falken Wildpeak 35" tires.

OEV Aluma 6.75 flatbed, Bundutec Odyssey camper on order for 2024

For this year we're still using our 2008 FWC Hawk with victron DC-DC charger, 130w solar, MPPT controler

with 2000w inverter and external 120v output and 12v solar input with 100w portable solar.   http://lighthawkphoto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users