Photo
- - - - -

New Hawk Shell on Order - Advice needed :)

Dometic Furnace Girard Steps

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ianpatrick10

ianpatrick10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2022 - 10:56 PM

Hey Everyone,

I'm a Nor Cal native and just ordered a new Hawk Shell model.  I lived and sailed for years on a 46' sailboat I completely restored.  I am new to the camper world after years of camping in the back of my pickup in the shell.  I am super stoked to join the FWC community and would appreciate any wisdom you can offer with regard to setup. I'm trying to do this on a budget so I ordered the Shell version with the intention of up fitting myself. My main questions are about which furnace specifically to order, which hot water heater and freshwater tank and maybe any other advice I might need going forward.

Thanks so much in advance!

Ian 

Edited by ianpatrick10, 14 December 2022 - 11:20 PM.

#2 Beach

Beach

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 16 December 2022 - 03:37 PM

No hard rules or designs. What ever works for you and gets the job done. Check out some of the camper tours on YouTube and pictures/videos posted on this website. Lots of great info on electrical/solar and plumbing installs. You will find many of us use marine grade components that you might already be familiar with(blue seas, anchor, jabsco, etc.). Some people here are minimalist campers and others want all the bells and whistles, to each their own.

#3 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 17 December 2022 - 12:01 AM

… I'm trying to do this on a budget so I ordered the Shell version with the intention of up fitting myself. My main questions are about which furnace specifically to order, which hot water heater and freshwater tank and maybe any other advice I might need going forward.

Thanks so much in advance!
Ian

Since you are trying to minimize cost, one thing I’d suggest reading forums and thinking about is whether you really want a water heater. Being a backpacker, I would be satisfied with heating water on a stove for washing dishes, and using a hanging shower bag with water warmed on the stove.

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#4 DavidGraves

DavidGraves

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 04:03 PM

Howdy

And welcome to WTW. We have enjoyed a FWC shell model for many years.

Are you trying to decide what items to have the factory install ?

David Graves

#5 camper rich

camper rich

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 04:46 PM

When I bought my Shell Model Ranger II back in 1998, I had FWC include the large kithen cabinet and countertop but without any of the appliances (stove, sink, fridge, water heater, water tank etc).  They turned the small sliding door under the counter into a large sliding door which allowed me two large spaces to put my food on one side and my kitchen bag (REI camp cook kit, plates and utinsils) and Coleman Stove on the other.  I also had them make the side bed for me which allowed storage for long things under it.  I strapped down a porta potty in the aisle on the floor below the front window.  I used a 5 gallon water jug, but down it Baja I bought the 5 gal. jugs of purified water and used a hand pump.  This worked for me for many two to three month Baja trips.  

I use a lot of small stuff sacks to keep things organized and they fit into large box like cabinets more effieciently than building cubby holes for individual items.  

#6 Jon R

Jon R

• Members
  • 906 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 15 January 2023 - 11:41 PM

… Propane is great for occasional use and twenty gallons goes a long way for an individual.

I suspect you meant 20 lbs., right?

Jon R

2021 Grandby Slide-in Front Dinette

2021 GMC 3500HD CC LB SRW Gas

1993 Chevrolet K2500 Ext Cab LB

#7 Sagebrusher

Sagebrusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSagebrush country, USA

Posted 16 January 2023 - 02:17 PM

We purchased a compact stove/sink combo (https://pantherrvpro....com/mo8821lus/

because we wanted to be able to just make coffee and brush teeth and this does the job in minimal space. It is spendy, but does the job in minimal space on top of the furnace box and worth every cent.

The key that makes it easy for a DIYer is that the propane manifold for your furnace has an extra port (see pic below). So I only had to add a 24 inch propane hose to hook it up. 

And I'd agree with Jon R on the water heater- not worth the added complexity if you have a stove to heat water, but that is a personal choice -- everyone has different needs and camping styles. I have more detail  on this and other simple components in our Hawk shell here  (https://sites.google...gebrushers/home).

Best of luck!

IMG_20190423_105002069 (2) Stove-sink installed.jpg IMG_20210902_144806010 (2).jpg IMG_20190322_111935284 (3) manifold with extra LP port.jpg

2019 Four Wheel Camper Hawk Shell mod on 2018 F150

https://sites.google...gebrushers/home

https://www.youtube....8qMF7m_uaV0F-Dg

#8 goinoregon

goinoregon

• Members
  • 507 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 17 January 2023 - 01:23 AM

i also bought a shell (ATC ocelot).  and intended to install the propane tank, with access thru the outside door (had atc put the door in). but after using the shell for a couple yrs, i decided the internal propane storage would just take up too much space.  we only intermittently cook inside, and i have a robust Partner cookstove that can work inside and out.  

i installed a propex propane furnace in december and really like its small footprint, and it is pretty quiet.  i cut a hole in the original propane access door, and use that to exhaust the furnace.  i bought a propane bottle bracket from AT overland, and it bolts to the rear jack bracket. i put a hole thru the rear wall, and pass the propane line thru it, and to the furnace.  works great.  again, i am not a huge winter camper, and did not want to use limited camper internal space for things i use only periodically. 

good luck - i have found that camping with the shell greatly increased my thoughts about what i need, and dont :)

go

Oregon

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dometic, Furnace, Girard, Steps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users